IGNORED

Best feeling in the world

superjudge3

There's nothing better than getting a brand new skrinkwrapped Jaguar game in the mail, pulling it out of the package and slowly opening it! I love to drool and admire the packaging, the design, the artwork, the booklet. Over the last week I got a NIB copy of Missile Command 3D (only $20!)and Tempest 2000 (I only had loose cart before) and a set of composite cables! The picture quality is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better I had no idea Jaguar games looked that good! ;)

While not the "best" feeling in the world, I agree that opening *any* brand new Atari item is uber fun. Jaguar does have an especially cool factor to it too. Like you said, the artwork on the boxes & labels, manuals are nice and even the shape of the cartridge is cool in a unique kind of way. Some hate 'em, but I think they're pretty slick. I keep all my Jag carts in loose sandwich bags though, so I don't have to worry about them getting all messed up. Easy to flip through 'em like an old-fashioned card catalogue :)

Edited by save2600

You should go for the S-Video Jag Cable, it gives a slightly better/sharper picture over the composite -there's less dot crawl.

Yes, I think it's great getting a new NIB game for the Jag also. Taking the plastic off, everythings clean, you take the new cart and plug it in, and see your Jag do new things you've never seen before. :) Enjoy!

You should go for the S-Video Jag Cable, it gives a slightly better/sharper picture over the composite -there's less dot crawl.

Umm, it should totally eliminate dot crawl, but the lower color resolution will remain. (maybe some shift in saturation/intensity depending on the quality of chroma encoding) Luma should be identical in quality to RGB (or component if transcoded), at least if the cable is properly shielded.

Depending on the TV and the quality of the S-video signal output, it could be substantially better than composite video.

I've heard the Jag has poor RF, but I wonder if that's universally true and if it depends on the TV and/or switchbox used. (using an RCA cable directly is not a good idea for sure, using a coaxial cable directly could be good though)

I've seen consoles that look like crap via RF on one TV and almost as good as composite video on another. I haven't gotten a chance to actually see the case with the Jag though -Sega consoles seem extremely variable though, not just in RF quality/sensitivity, but actual composite video quality -even in cases where the same video encoder is used it can vary from model to model and there are 4 different encoders used for the Genesis)

Edited by kool kitty89

Finishing a Jaguar game and it being as bug free as possible. :P

@ Super Judge.....yes the Jaguar has some of the best video output

there is in a console. I had brought it to work when I worked

at Modulation Sciences which manufactures broadcast quality video

and audio equipment and hooked it up to some very powerful test

equipment. The owner of the company was rather blown away by the

clean and clear signal of the RGB video.We hooked it up to a broad

cast quality studio monitor and the pixels were crystal clear and you

could make out the squareness of each pixel quite easily.

Edited by Gorf