IGNORED

Put my Record breaking Donkey Kong 3 machine up on Ebay 3 Hours Left!

homerwannabee

you will be lucky to get $100 for it

Hats off Crazy Climber, you hit the nail on the head. I really thought I would get more because the game was still playable, and it was a World Record machine. Boy was I wrong. I thought you were being a total tool, but you were being the realist. Just sucks when you lose over $700 on something. Especially if it is over 90 percent of what you paid for it.

Homer, I thought that you acting all douchey about your Galaxian record was all part of an April Fool's joke? A little early to get started for April of 2011, isn't it?

Chris

I was trying to sell the machine. In all intents in purposes it is clear that society views the record as about as meaningless as it gets.

But whatever, to tell the truth I would do it all over again if I had the chance. Going for this record was going after a record for a game that I loved. If no one else cares than so be it. I still can say that I have a record on my favorite arcade game of all time. Not many people on the face of the Earth can say that. So be it I lost my shirt. Life goes on, and the beat of the drum pounds whether they which to listen to it or not.

Hey look, man. I think it's cool that you've been going after these records and breaking them. What I don't think is cool is how it goes to your head. That lecture that you gave to CC about his not understanding the historical significance of your accomplishment was a bit over the top. You should absolutely be proud of your accomplishment. But that doesn't seem to be enough for you.

Chris

• Like 4

Hey look, man. I think it's cool that you've been going after these records and breaking them. What I don't think is cool is how it goes to your head. That lecture that you gave to CC about his not understanding the historical significance of your accomplishment was a bit over the top. You should absolutely be proud of your accomplishment. But that doesn't seem to be enough for you.

Chris

No someone saying that you are about to lose at least $675 for what you paid for it can be hard to swallow. If I was cocky why did I expect to lose money? Really is it really being cocky saying because of historical significance I am going to only lose 67 percent of what I paid for this instead of over 90 percent of what I paid for it. I never claimed that this was going to go for thousands or that it should. I just presumed that I would not lose as much because of the record. Really how is that being a D-bag? In what world is that being a D-bag?

Look, I just lost over $700. I am not in the mood for you to be preachy.

Ouch, that went for lower than what I thought; I was thinking $150. If you had just spent a few minutes attempting to troubleshoot the problem you would have easily sold it for 3 - 4 times what you got, perhaps more if you got lucky with a bidding war. It is a shame you spent all that effort getting the record, but didn't want to lift a finger and read up a bit to try and fix the machine for maximum return. These things are simple to fix with all the information out there on the Internet today.

Homer, I thought that you acting all douchey about your Galaxian record was all part of an April Fool's joke? A little early to get started for April of 2011, isn't it?

Chris

I was trying to sell the machine. In all intents in purposes it is clear that society views the record as about as meaningless as it gets.

But whatever, to tell the truth I would do it all over again if I had the chance. Going for this record was going after a record for a game that I loved. If no one else cares than so be it. I still can say that I have a record on my favorite arcade game of all time. Not many people on the face of the Earth can say that. So be it I lost my shirt. Life goes on, and the beat of the drum pounds whether they which to listen to it or not.

This is ironic. You hold your record in such high regard that you did not put a reserve on the auction and let it go for merely $60.

For all you know you just sold it to some shmuck that's gonna lay his cigarettes down on the control panel, spill beer all over it, screw the maid on it and have his kids crayon all over the artwork.

I would suspect that the machine would have been worth the space taking up in your apartment.

I sent Walter Day the link to your auction asking if he had a contact in the area that would buy it and drive it out to Ottumwa. He thanked me for the tip, but I doubt that's where it's headed...you'll have to let us know who bought it.

He holds his record in such high regard that he listed it on eBay with local pickup only because deep down, he thought it was going to go for a decent chunk of change once the bidding war started. Otherwise he would have just listed it on Craigslist and on forums for a set price. He couldn't be bothered to even try to troubleshoot the monitor problem because the machine's status as that on which he broke the record far outweighed any pesky hardware issues. But no, he isn't cocky.

IMHO you got what you deserved, bud.

Chris

• Like 3

He holds his record in such high regard that he listed it on eBay with local pickup only because deep down, he thought it was going to go for a decent chunk of change once the bidding war started. Otherwise he would have just listed it on Craigslist and on forums for a set price. He couldn't be bothered to even try to troubleshoot the monitor problem because the machine's status as that on which he broke the record far outweighed any pesky hardware issues. But no, he isn't cocky.

Chris

To tell you the truth, I just wanted the machine out of my house as quickly as possible. I had accomplished what I set out to do. That is get the record. If I went that way, I would of had to wait probably months on end waiting for an offer. I did not have months, I am broke, so I basically got rid of it. So now it is cocky not to have a reserve? Wow that is a new one. I let the market demand determine what my machine was worth. The market spoke with a clear loud voice that the Arcade machine in that condition was worth was $60.

To be honest I just wanted to see what a world record machine would go for. I found out. People could care less, and my record does not have much meaning to the population as a whole. See the real D-bag in this situation is you. You come off on my auction, and try to rub salt in the wound.

Yes, I now stand corrected. My world record, had absolutely no bearing on the sale price of this game. If anything it probably turned people away from the game. I would of done better had I not even mentioned the record.

Sure did I think there was a chance I may make some bank. Sure I was a fool, and an idiot for thinking so. It is obvious the world literally could not even give 2 cents for this record. And yes, I got what was coming to me.

But hey, I still got the record in my favorite arcade game of all time. To me that is priceless, and yeah I lost over $700, but again, I would do it all over again if I had too. Does this make me crazy? Yep, but I don't care, I accomplished a goal that I did not know if I could do. I met the challenge, and conquered it.

So yes I did get what was coming to me. Out over $700, and the world record in my favorite arcade game of all time. To many I look like the stupid fool, loser. But to me, I accomplished a major goal, and my outlook on life is better for it. So the world could care less about the record. So be it.

Chris

To tell you the truth, I just wanted the machine out of my house as quickly as possible. I had accomplished what I set out to do. That is get the record. If I went that way, I would of had to wait probably months on end waiting for an offer. I did not have months, I am broke, so I basically got rid of it. So now it is cocky not to have a reserve? Wow that is a new one. I let the market demand determine what my machine was worth. The market spoke with a clear loud voice that the Arcade machine in that condition was worth was $60.

To be honest I just wanted to see what a world record machine would go for. I found out. People could care less, and my record does not have much meaning to the population as a whole. See the real D-bag in this situation is you. You come off on my auction, and try to rub salt in the wound.

Yes, I now stand corrected. My world record, had absolutely no bearing on the sale price of this game. If anything it probably turned people away from the game. I would of done better had I not even mentioned the record.

Sure did I think there was a chance I may make some bank. Sure I was a fool, and an idiot for thinking so. It is obvious the world literally could not even give 2 cents for this record. And yes, I got what was coming to me.

But hey, I still got the record in my favorite arcade game of all time. To me that is priceless, and yeah I lost over $700, but again, I would do it all over again if I had too. Does this make me crazy? Yep, but I don't care, I accomplished a goal that I did not know if I could do. I met the challenge, and conquered it.

So yes I did get what was coming to me. Out over $700, and the world record in my favorite arcade game of all time. To many I look like the stupid fool, loser. But to me, I accomplished a major goal, and my outlook on life is better for it. So the world could care less about the record. So be it.

Just an idea but you could offer the guy $50 to walk away. It would be easier for you to come up with $50.

It sucks when this happens. It has happened to me and many otthers here as well. This is why you see so many BINs with best offers. Many of those people were burned in the past on an auction gone wrong. When you sell 100s or 1000s then you can take the good with the bad. When you sell 1 or 2 not everyone can afford the risk.

Homer, what makes you look like a fool is that you ignore the advice given to you by people who are just honestly trying to help you out, and then you get moody when it blows up in your face.

And yes, society views your record as totally meaningless. What do you care? I don't do a single thing in my life because of what other people think. You say that you don't care what others think, but your actions and behavior tell a different story.

And I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds. I just wish that you would stop acting the way that you do. I have little tolerance for people who have problems but refuse to help themselves. You're a smart guy, but it means fuck all if you don't use it. That's like me having $10 million in confederate cash. I'd be a millionaire on paper only.

I agree with BuyAtari. Try to work with the guy to NOT sell him the cab. If you have to bribe him with $50 to take off, do it. And then get the monitor fixed. Pay someone the $100 to come do the cap kit, and then sell the machine for what it would be worth were it in good working order. A newly capped monitor should increase its value. And get the joystick replaced while you're at it. Or just keep it. As long as you are going to lose $700 you might as well hang on to the machine. Or trade the machine for something else that you'd like to try breaking the record on.

Chris

• Like 2

Homer, what makes you look like a fool is that you ignore the advice given to you by people who are just honestly trying to help you out, and then you get moody when it blows up in your face.

And yes, society views your record as totally meaningless. What do you care? I don't do a single thing in my life because of what other people think. You say that you don't care what others think, but your actions and behavior tell a different story.

And I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds. I just wish that you would stop acting the way that you do. I have little tolerance for people who have problems but refuse to help themselves. You're a smart guy, but it means fuck all if you don't use it. That's like me having $10 million in confederate cash. I'd be a millionaire on paper only.

I agree with BuyAtari. Try to work with the guy to NOT sell him the cab. If you have to bribe him with $50 to take off, do it. And then get the monitor fixed. Pay someone the $100 to come do the cap kit, and then sell the machine for what it would be worth were it in good working order. A newly capped monitor should increase its value. And get the joystick replaced while you're at it. Or just keep it. As long as you are going to lose $700 you might as well hang on to the machine. Or trade the machine for something else that you'd like to try breaking the record on.

Chris

You don't seem to understand. I am broke, I am really broke. I don't have the extra $100 to go, and fix this machine. $60 is better than nothing. What is done, is done. I will honor the auction, and that will be that.

Sides, if I can sell this machine for one tenth the price. I can sell almost anything now(Atlantis II being the exception). In the coming days I will be selling off a ton of stuff. I decided to sell off all my NES, SNES, N64, extra garbage pail kids. Every single Amazing Spider-man comic. I think I have over 150 issues. Every single comic. Most of my vinyl albums. My Intellivision stuff. Most of My Atari 5200 games,. Most of my Atari 7800 games. My Commadore 64, Canadian Odyssey 2 system. And if I can all of my sports cards.

I just have way too much stuff. The need for me to get back $700 has given me the excuse to start off anew. See I have a lot little albatrosses around my neck. It is time to start letting go.

That was the first thing I had to look at with my Space Invaders cab, and I was absolutely mortified to have to do it. It is a very scary prospect indeed for the new collector! Thank god I had save2600 to help me with all of that! :thumbsup:

after the first couple zaps you get used to it :) the big thing is NEVER allow a circuit across your chest. when I work on a monitor I wear a ground strap on the arm that is doing the adjustments and it is grounded to the grounded metal chassis on the monitor.

I always discharge the HV through a discharge tool also if working on a powered-off monitor.

no path across the heart = slim to no chance of stopping your heart.

and always use non-conductive tools for the pot adjustments as metal ones can increase the chance of shocks and also metal ones can affect your adjustments so you may think you have it adjusted properly but take the tool away and it's messed up.

Havok, and horseboy can't you wait, and install your opinion after the auction. There is something called auction edicate. Meaning don't say something is worthless when they are selling the thing. It is bad form. Especially when I paid $775, and will have to sell off a lot of my collectibles just to make up for how much money I lost. So far I have had 3 different people take a big steaming dump on my auction. I am not rich, and I make less than $20,000 a year. It is already obvious that I am going to take a huge hit. So please just remain silent until the auction ends. Well I guess I will go, and start selling off a ton of my Atari 2600 games to make up for the money I lost.

:?

it is etiquette, not edicate.

and they aren't the ones causing the auction to tank. The only person who can take responsibility for the auction not taking off is you. you posted an arcade machine with a dodgy monitor, made it local pick up only and were surprised that no-one wanted to bid on it? most arcade collectors want working machines and could care less about "record scores" on the machine. also, the writing of the score and sig to many collectors lowers the value as they want machines in as close to factory condition as possible.

I did not see anyone say that the machine was worthless, unless I missed a post or two, I saw several people saying that it would be worth more with a simple adjustment made to the monitor. Arcade machine monitors in good shape tend to be hard to come by and when you do find them they are spendy. at least ONE person tried to offer assistance, showing you where to adjust and you flamed him. THAT behavior will discourage people on here who might have been interested in it to stay away I know it kept me from bidding.

• Like 4

I can sell almost anything now(Atlantis II being the exception).

This is strange to me. You could sell that and get out of the hole plus have a bunch of extra cash. I would rather sell one really rare piece than basically all of my other treasures that took me years to acquire. I know it is extremely rare so it probably holds a special place in your heart, but surely it would be easier to sell one thing than it would be to sell 1000. Just my opinion, do whatever feel right to you.

you will be lucky to get $100 for it

Hats off Crazy Climber, you hit the nail on the head. I really thought I would get more because the game was still playable, and it was a World Record machine. Boy was I wrong. I thought you were being a total tool, but you were being the realist. Just sucks when you lose over $700 on something. Especially if it is over 90 percent of what you paid for it.

Many factors came in to play here...

The monitor - we already discussed this

Living on the third floor of an apartment - not great, you should have mentioned you could bring it down for them or something

Current arcade game prices - They are in the toilet right now, lowest they have been in 10 years, DK3 is also the least popular in the series which doesn't help

Your Ebay pictures - sorry but they were pretty shitty, should have pulled it out from the wall a little further and got some better pics

Low starting bid - When I search for arcade machines I generally do a "highest to lowest price" Ebay search. I usually do not bother checking anything under $50 because it will be several pages of parts/etc.. that I am not interested in. Not sure if others do this as well but I wouldn't doubt it.

Your lack of patience - You paid twice what the game was worth

Your ego and your thinking that you know best on something you know little to nothing about - I think that explains itself

You can justify selling this for $60 all you want saying you need money, etc.. but the fact is you are mad and you know it. Try to get out of the deal, you can cover the $60 somehow, hell, go donate blood/plasma or something. Just remember in the future not to think you are so smart that you can't take someones advice once and a while, you will not get very far in life thinking you know it all, books can't tell you everything. Sometimes learning from others mistakes can save you a lot (a lot of money in this case ;) )

• Like 5

Homer threads are always entertaining. I gotta say. Sorry I missed this one until now.

Although I'm really surprised it ended at $60, I do understand all the things working against getting a good price.

Maybe Homer could make some extra cash making music video's for his neph. . . . LOL, I couldn't even finish that sentence :D

Edited by AtariLeaf

To be honest, I just wanted to know what a world record machine would have as an impact on a price. I have never seen anything like that ever. It was not hubris, it was more of curiosity. And now everyone knows what impact this has. Also, why the freaking vitriol? I am the one that lost $700. Not you, you guys lost nothing, but you are more upset about this than me.

You know what the funny thing is? I actually have a talent to play this game better than anyone else. But in our world we would rather rip people down more than praise someone for being good at something. I posted a video on me playing this game. I do things in that video that almost no one else can do. Instead of getting wow what you have done is simply great, I get more people ripping me apart on my selling tactics. What kind of screwed up world is this when people are more willing to post negative comments about doing something the wrong way, than positive comments about being able to play a game like very few people can.