IGNORED

Put my Record breaking Donkey Kong 3 machine up on Ebay 3 Hours Left!

homerwannabee

but ultimately when it came to paying actual money, people just wanted a working machine. The main question asked (and always is by collectors) does the monitor have any problems.

Any why is that? Because the monitor is the most expensive part of the machine...

Yeah, most expensive and hardest for a novice to fix. Not to mention dangerous if you pull the anode connector (suction cup) or touch something wrong and zap yourself but you probably already know that :)

That was the first thing I had to look at with my Space Invaders cab, and I was absolutely mortified to have to do it. It is a very scary prospect indeed for the new collector! Thank god I had save2600 to help me with all of that! :thumbsup:

Check out this dude's site...I made one of those discharge tools out of a power cord, alligator clips and a screwdriver and I'm still alive to type about it...

All the chicks dig my discharge tool

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2009/06/10/safely-discharge-an-arcade-monitor/

That was the first thing I had to look at with my Space Invaders cab, and I was absolutely mortified to have to do it. It is a very scary prospect indeed for the new collector! Thank god I had save2600 to help me with all of that! :thumbsup:

Check out this dude's site...I made one of those discharge tools out of a power cord, alligator clips and a screwdriver and I'm still alive to type about it...

That's what I ended up doing, too, just using some thick wire and a roach clip!

That's what I ended up doing, too, just using some thick wire and a roach clip!

It's kind of funny, the first time I had to swap a Monitor I enlisted the help of a local collector/seller to help me after hearing about the risk of death from electric shock. He asked "when is the last time you powered this sucker up" (talking about a Ms Pac with a blown monitor) I said it had been a month or so. He then grabs the anode connector with his bare hand and pulls it right off! I couldn't believe the calm manner in which he did it. Now I don't worry as much having witnessed that, I am still careful but I don't worry about lethal shocks like I used to. I still would not recommend using a bare hand though, that is just insane! From what I understand though it is pretty hard to get zapped bad enough to die.

From what I understand though it is pretty hard to get zapped bad enough to die.

The dude that is refurb'ing the monitor boards for my Congorilla cabinet told me the same.

But, it's best to err on the side of caution. No sense dying over this stuff...

Agreed. What I have done in the past for monitor repairs is just purchase a cheap arcade machine like this..

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/tag/1811880168.html

Swap the entire monitor out for the dead one in my machine. That way I don't have to deal with much that is dangerous, just unplug it and do a full swap. Part out the PCB/marquee/bezel/CP and end up with a new (well used) monitor for my dead one and maybe $40-$50 for the old parts. Although when doing this you are stuck with an empty cabinet, trashmen take them in my area though.

I cant believe the cabinet isnt worth $200 alone.

You mean if there were no electronics in it? If so, then not even close.

Where can you find empty painted cabs with working bezel's and coin slots for under $100?

Many places. I have been given several empty cabs over the years. I've paid under $100 for fully working games on several occasions as well. Things are a little different than they used to be, but free/cheap stuff is still out there. I just got a nice Nintendo Red tent for $40 yesterday.

Where can you find empty painted cabs with working bezel's and coin slots for under $100?

They're all over - you just need to do a little work to find them. Make friends in the community, get to know some operators that want to offload old cabs. I just sold a perfect condition Birdie King 3 cab with working marquee and coin door for $75. Little ways back I bought a non-working Zaxxon for $100 that just needed a monitor. $50 later, I had a working Zaxxon. Craigslist\ebay is where not to get your stuff. You'll pay too much and deal with a bunch of flakes...

Havok, and horseboy can't you wait, and install your opinion after the auction. There is something called auction edicate. Meaning don't say something is worthless when they are selling the thing. It is bad form. Especially when I paid $775, and will have to sell off a lot of my collectibles just to make up for how much money I lost. So far I have had 3 different people take a big steaming dump on my auction. I am not rich, and I make less than $20,000 a year. It is already obvious that I am going to take a huge hit. So please just remain silent until the auction ends. Well I guess I will go, and start selling off a ton of my Atari 2600 games to make up for the money I lost.

I was not expressing an opinion about your auction; just responding to what Goochman stated. No dump intended. I don't seriously believe that a viewpoint expressed on an Atari centric forum would in any way affect an eBay auction. It will sell for what it sells for regardless. Good luck with the sale, I'm sure it will get sniped at the end and get bid up there. I'll keep my opinion of what it will end at to myself for the moment, but being an arcade collector for the past 5 years, I think I have a pretty good idea of what it will go for...

Homer - Im on the other side of the country and not interested in your cabinet. I was just surprised it was going for so low as about 10 years ago I was mulling around for an Arcade Cab and most seemed to be around $200 in poor shape.

Yeah man, what I said had nothing to do with your auction. He made a statement about an empty cab being worth $200, and I stated my opinion based on years of experience. A complete working game such as yours is a whole different story, and I did not comment about that. The fact that it is a world record breaking machine adds a different dimension to the auction that makes is very unusual and intriguing. I hope your auction ends well and you make your money back plus some. Auctions are all about the last 20 seconds.