IGNORED

"Soulless" consoles

mbd30

I don't know why you're talking about consoles that have souls, they are inanimate objects and can't have souls.

Ok, enough being to literal.

I think it would be the intelivision. I like it and its fun, but it feels, empty when I play it. I don't know. I still enjoy playing it lots.

For me it would be the Sega CD. Very bad games, ever play Bug?

Now it was bleeding edge for it's day, but almost every game was a lame video sprinkled with bad gameing.

JMHO

Bug was a Saturn game.

That, and the other rather ignorant statements in that post were already addressed a couple times. ;)

I think the charm (soul is a stupid name for it) of a console depends on your experience with it. Gamecube and Dreamcast to me have less charm than the PS2 or Xbox 360, mainly because I didn't play them enough and/or had bad experiences with them, or I just didn't like the games. I grew up with a SNES, and I find it way more charmful and polished than the Mega Drive.

People who grew up with a NES may not find anything special about a ZX Spectrum for example.

There are people who find charm in NES rip-offs that they had as kids, who's gonna deny it?

• Like 1

I think the charm (soul is a stupid name for it) of a console depends on your experience with it. Gamecube and Dreamcast to me have less charm than the PS2 or Xbox 360, mainly because I didn't play them enough and/or had bad experiences with them, or I just didn't like the games. I grew up with a SNES, and I find it way more charmful and polished than the Mega Drive.

People who grew up with a NES may not find anything special about a ZX Spectrum for example.

There are people who find charm in NES rip-offs that they had as kids, who's gonna deny it?

You completely missed my explanation of soul. Liking a machine because its what hold nostalgia for you is completely different.

Soul in a console is what went into developing it, its individual personality, games, history, legacy and what sets it apart from other consoles of that generation.

I hate all the Nintendo machines but that dosn't mean that they don't have a soul ;)

I don't know what personality a console has. Older consoles were different from one another because technoloogy was still in its infancy and 1 or 2 years difference could be apparent unlike the PS3 and 360, and controllers were a little less standarized than now.

I think all 3 current gen consoles have their own strong identity, each one has its audience, its online service, its motion controller/unique gimmick and unique features.

By your definition of soul, all major consoles since the late 70's have souls in my opinion. Saying Dreamcast has a soul and the PS2 doesn't or vice-versa is nonsense bias to me.

Soulless consoles are like the CD-i or Arcadia 2001 that don't have very good games or a thing to distinguish them, but even still. This thread is a little pointless.

Edited by AtticGamer

For me it would be the Sega CD. Very bad games, ever play Bug?

Now it was bleeding edge for it's day, but almost every game was a lame video sprinkled with bad gameing.

JMHO

Bug was a Saturn game.

That, and the other rather ignorant statements in that post were already addressed a couple times. ;)

I figured that out after reading some more. :ponder:

NES rip-offs???

I don't know what personality a console has. Older consoles were different from one another because technoloogy was still in its infancy and 1 or 2 years difference could be apparent unlike the PS3 and 360, and controllers were a little less standarized than now.

Personally I struggle to tell the difference between an Xbox 360 and PS3 game. Same games mostly, same graphics etc.

Neither of those consoles have a strong history, legacy and very little individuality.

Well, it's a matter of detail. There's quite a bit of difference in PS3 vs 360 games, some more obvious than others. And a year is still a big deal now too as ever, though the differences aren't the same, they can be just as significant depending on your point of view. (could be the difference between a certain game running at a playable framerate or not or having to be cut-down to perform adequately -same was true on older consoles though, especially for arcade ports)

One reasont he PS3 doesn't show it as obviously is that it's actually weaker in several areas than the 360, and the areas it is stronger in are harder to tap relatively speaking. (GPU on PS3 is weaker and a little older, CPU only has 1/3 the PPC cores, but it's the Cell processor's floating point capabilities that really give it potential, but only for certain things -one big one promoted is more detailed physics -the same thing high-end PC gaming rigs often have a 2nrd video card dedicated to)

One thing that's changes is that everything (or almost everything) is completely high-level API/OS programming, nothing hardware level specific: that died with the 5th generation with a little lingering into the 6th.

Was there a great game developed for a console that you love/d playing? Did you make a connection and have fond memories of that console? Then it has a soul.

The only console that I can imagine being soulless are ones that little or no development effort was put into. In my mind that's the Video Information System and CD-i. I am sure there are some others that I'm not thinking of, but a lot of the consoles being ripped on here, Channel-F, Astrocade, Xbox, 32X et cetera, are fantastic consoles with amazing games, and were groundbreaking in many ways. There's definitely charm and soul living in almost any game console.

Was there a great game developed for a console that you love/d playing? Did you make a connection and have fond memories of that console? Then it has a soul.

The only console that I can imagine being soulless are ones that little or no development effort was put into. In my mind that's the Video Information System and CD-i. I am sure there are some others that I'm not thinking of, but a lot of the consoles being ripped on here, Channel-F, Astrocade, Xbox, 32X et cetera, are fantastic consoles with amazing games, and were groundbreaking in many ways. There's definitely charm and soul living in almost any game console.

Arcadia 2001?

• Like 1

Arcadia 2001?

Pretty much. I have this one in my collection, along with a number of games, and I usually forget that I own one.

Arcadia 2001?

Pretty much. I have this one in my collection, along with a number of games, and I usually forget that I own one.

Well that one's not too much of a surprise... very outdated hardware introduced in North America just before the crash... Hell even without the crash it probably would't have done too well given the competition and outdated design. (it really is odd, but probably just another company with a half assed attempt to get in on the hype)