IGNORED

Main code rules as requested by others.

Gorf

To jump around in main RAM.....

1 ) Within a 256 byte page boundary...ie..The address range of a page starts at $XXXXXX00 and ends at $XXXXXXFF.

a ) JR can jump from anywhere to anywhere within its range and inside the page.

b ) JUMP must be aligned on a long address and jump to a word offset long address...ie...adresses ending in 2,6,A and E

2 ) From one 256 byte page to another

a ) JR (if it can reach the destination) can jump from anywhere but MUST land on a long aligned address to the other page.

b ) JUMP must be aligned on a long address and jump to a long aligned address...ie...adresses ending in 0,4,8 and C.

3 ) To jump from main to local or local to main(from one way to the other is the same).

a ) The JUMP must be long aligned. The desination must be long aligned. However, phrase aligment is reccomended for saftey.

b ) Preceed the JUMP with a MOVEI not related to the JUMP register(although I've had success with, Owl says its not safe.)

c ) Obviously JR can not reach main RAM from the GPU local address so it will not work for this

JR/JUMP must be followed by 2 NOP's OR 1 single register instruction not associated with anything recent and then NOP.

I do not think the single instruction and 1 NOP will work between local to main

or main to local but I'll leave that up to Owl to answer.

• Like 1

Somehow i missed this and replied in the main forum thread.

a ) The JUMP must be long aligned. The desination must be long aligned. However, phrase aligment is reccomended for saftey.

b ) Preceed the JUMP with a MOVEI not related to the JUMP register(although I've had success with, Owl says its not safe.)

c ) Obviously JR can not reach main RAM from the GPU local address so it will not work for this

JR/JUMP must be followed by 2 NOP's OR 1 single register instruction not associated with anything recent and then NOP.

Its good to see the rules laid out again :)

To comment on specifics...

• The preceding MOVEI can be the jump register or an independent register - i often use the jump register.
  • I've also used the single register instruction plus 1 NOP for jumps between local & main.

Even following the guidelines there can STILL be unexpected difficulties with Main/Local jumps if the jump to/from occurs many times in quick succession - try to space out the jumps as much as possible. My own code only jumps between main & local <5,000 times a second atm.

Edited by Atari_Owl

Somehow i missed this and replied in the main forum thread.

Its good to see the rules laid out again :)

To comment on specifics...

• The preceding MOVEI can be the jump register or an independent register - i often use the jump register.
  • I've also used the single register instruction plus 1 NOP for jumps between local & main.

Even following the guidelines there can STILL be unexpected difficulties with Main/Local jumps if the jump to/from occurs many times in quick succession - try to space out the jumps as much as possible. My own code only jumps between main & local <5,000 times a second atm.

The only time I jump to local is after I do the grunt work out in main so I never experienced this....yet.