IGNORED

Help Choose New AtariAge T-Shirt Design

Albert

Choose!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. One of these two designs will be made available for sale. Which do you prefer?

• Design #1 (top down view of joystick)
    • Design #2 (isometric view of joystick)
  2. 2. What size t-shirt do you wear?

• Small
    • Medium
    • Large
    • XL
    • 2XL
    • 3XL
    • 4XL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yes.. 99% of our clothes are sold in those pre-packs.. so 10 prepacks would be 10 small, 20 med, 20 large, 10 extra large. When we do larger sizes we sell them in packs of 2-2-2 which is two 1x, two 2x, and two 3x.

For guys, though, I find XL runs out quick. I'm unsure how it works with women. Maybe my friends band doesn't order enough XL? Heck, maybe my friend only wants GOOD LOOKING people wearing their shirts, not fat asses like me? LOL!

We sell our clothes in prepacks of 1-2-2-1 (1 small, 2 med, 2 large, 2 xl). From what I've found in the past ordering for my friends band I think XL sells out the quickest. Sometimes I get stuck with a L.. I'll take the shirt 'cause it's my friends, but I can't fit in it. :(

Do you mean "1 small, 2 med, 2 large, 1 xl" ?

..Al

Cafepress sucks ass. It's DTG (Direct to Garment) which is digital printing. It's basically a modified printer you can slide a t-shirt through. If you really must go with that type of printing, I know of some cheaper places you can use, but I think most people would rather have a real screen printing. The ink has that nice raised feel to it.

You might want to take a walk in Michael's Crafts. They have this new screen printing thing called Yudu. The demonstration video in store looks awesome.

http://www.whatdoyudu.com/

I see it's $299 on their website.. Wally World has it for $189.

If you want to talk, I can give you some good places to check out for t-shirt printing as I have ideas to start my own business online. I have ideas for a bunch of shirt designs, but haven't acted upon it yet. Some funny, some retro, some oldschool video game related, etc.

There's one place that will print your shirts, warehouse them for you, handle payment, even gives you a website of your own you can customize. They handle orders, shipping, returns, etc. Screen printing too.. not that other crap.

.. and if you have any shirt designs that are 1-color, I know a place you can get shirts done for $4 each in random colored shirts. They give you good colors too.. not like 50 pink (unless you ask for that). What they do is take all their left over clothing from jobs.. maybe they have 5 black, 3 red, 10 blue, 24 orange, etc.. you get a good mix.

I also have some contacts over seas where I can get dresses made very cheap. My friend's mother runs a business in Indonesia. Their most expensive dress might only be like $4 US or something. Low minimums too.

If anyone knows a place I can get pillows made cheap, PM me. I have a great idea involving pillows, one that would sell well and I could see a lot of interest in teenagers and mall brats. :) I just can't find a place.. I'd like to start off with some small orders to build up my inventory.

I guess your not using cafepress for these as you mentioned(plus since these are double sided dark shirts cafe press doesn't to that(I wish they would though))

No, Cafepress is very expensive, and I'd like to sell these shirts for $15 at the show. I'm having them done professionally by a local company I've used in the past.

..Al

yeah they are expensive,it's good you find a local place.

I know of place like that here in IL.might be thinking of going that way.

Edited by yuppicide

I still like the 1st design better, but I totally agree with you on button placement for the second.

At first I was more partial to the first design, but on second thought I think I like the second design better-- except I would prefer that the red button be in the "upper left" corner instead of in the bottom corner.

Michael

I'm not sure, but I think the original heavy sixer "CX-10" sticks had tabs on the rubber boots, so the hex shape (originally including the metal "hex disc" with the Atari or Sears logo) would stay straight, but later "CX-40" sticks dropped the tabs, so the rubber boots can be twisted any which way. Since the artwork has the word "TOP", it must be a CX-40. Maybe that's just the position the rubber boot of whatever stick Dale looked at happened to be in. I'd rather see it straightened out on any shirts or items you get printed up, though.

Syzygyst,

You are correct, I used a mint condition CX-40 for reference and noticed the rubber was slightly tilted. I wanted to maintain a little realism, not to mention the perfect alignment was crazy symmetrical. I will more than likely tilt the hex a little more to help balance the design properly.

At first I was more partial to the first design, but on second thought I think I like the second design better-- except I would prefer that the red button be in the "upper left" corner instead of in the bottom corner.

Michael

SeaGtGruff,

That's really interesting you mentioned this. My first reaction was to place the button in the upper left corner as well but from a design perspective we end up loosing visibility and the main focus is on the "red button". It really needed to be front and center.

That's really interesting you mentioned this. My first reaction was to place the button in the upper left corner as well but from a design perspective we end up loosing visibility and the main focus is on the "red button". It really needed to be front and center.

I do agree with the rationale for putting it "front and center" since it's tied to the slogan, but it also disturbs me since that's not how one would hold the joystick from the perspective you're looking at. Maybe if there was a cord coming out of the proper corner to orient the joystick it wouldn't disturb me. :D

..Al

I do agree with the rationale for putting it "front and center" since it's tied to the slogan, but it also disturbs me since that's not how one would hold the joystick from the perspective you're looking at. Maybe if there was a cord coming out of the proper corner to orient the joystick it wouldn't disturb me. :D

..Al

Al,

I like it. A cord could really add something extra to the layout, especially in terms of curves. I've already got it planned out, I'll start working on it as soon as I can.

Edited by monster angriff

would you get away with 2 old school Atari logo's superimpsed on top of eachother (like the AA logo) i am favouring the warner's version over the tramiel one

I'd prefer not to use Atari's logo anywhere on the shirt. It's not used on AtariAge, so I don't feel that it needs to be on an AtariAge shirt. Not to mention I don't need to give Atari a reason to tell me to stop selling t-shirts. :)

..Al

Cafepress sucks ass. It's DTG (Direct to Garment) which is digital printing. It's basically a modified printer you can slide a t-shirt through. If you really must go with that type of printing, I know of some cheaper places you can use, but I think most people would rather have a real screen printing. The ink has that nice raised feel to it.

You might want to take a walk in Michael's Crafts. They have this new screen printing thing called Yudu. The demonstration video in store looks awesome.

http://www.whatdoyudu.com/

I see it's $299 on their website.. Wally World has it for $189.

If you want to talk, I can give you some good places to check out for t-shirt printing as I have ideas to start my own business online. I have ideas for a bunch of shirt designs, but haven't acted upon it yet. Some funny, some retro, some oldschool video game related, etc.

There's one place that will print your shirts, warehouse them for you, handle payment, even gives you a website of your own you can customize. They handle orders, shipping, returns, etc. Screen printing too.. not that other crap.

.. and if you have any shirt designs that are 1-color, I know a place you can get shirts done for $4 each in random colored shirts. They give you good colors too.. not like 50 pink (unless you ask for that). What they do is take all their left over clothing from jobs.. maybe they have 5 black, 3 red, 10 blue, 24 orange, etc.. you get a good mix.

I also have some contacts over seas where I can get dresses made very cheap. My friend's mother runs a business in Indonesia. Their most expensive dress might only be like $4 US or something. Low minimums too.

If anyone knows a place I can get pillows made cheap, PM me. I have a great idea involving pillows, one that would sell well and I could see a lot of interest in teenagers and mall brats. :) I just can't find a place.. I'd like to start off with some small orders to build up my inventory.

I guess your not using cafepress for these as you mentioned(plus since these are double sided dark shirts cafe press doesn't to that(I wish they would though))

No, Cafepress is very expensive, and I'd like to sell these shirts for $15 at the show. I'm having them done professionally by a local company I've used in the past.

..Al

yeah they are expensive,it's good you find a local place.

I know of place like that here in IL.might be thinking of going that way.

some of their printing is still good.

and prices for double sided printing on white shirts is high.

I do know a place by me in villa park,IL not too far from where vgs is at

called wacky t's. I haven't been there but I think next year I'll prob go with them for specialty orders for double sided t's and maybe

a few in black double sided (cafepress lacks in that dept sad to say)

called wacky t's. I haven't been there but I think next year I'll prob go with them for specialty orders for double sided t's and maybe

Dan, I don't know what their prices are, but the place out here in Crystal Lake called Think Ink has a great reputation and I have many of their t-shirts and hats from various organizations I belong to and they have all been top notch quality.

Dan, I don't know what their prices are, but the place out here in Crystal Lake called Think Ink has a great reputation and I have many of their t-shirts and hats from various organizations I belong to and they have all been top notch quality.

wacky t's been around for years, they were originally in north park mall before the flea market took over the mall.

wacky t's been around for years, they were originally in north park mall before the flea market took over the mall.

Can someone explain the fascination with the red button off to the left? This has been mentioned several times and it would be good to have something more than you just "like it". Is this just how we are accustom to viewing it in advertisements or something more, since from the shirt design perspective the onlooker is 'in a sense' watching someone else play a game. The current thought is that we want to bring the viewers attention directly toward the joystick button and follow up by leading the eye into the text. I opted against the obvious decision of making the word "RED" actually red since this would detract from our main focal point, the red button which is smaller than the text itself.

This is art, and it's all subjective so feel free to contradict this.

I like the second one better, but I like it when the button is on the left like this:

con_AtariJoystick.jpg

Can someone explain the fascination with the red button off to the left? This has been mentioned several times and it would be good to have something more than you just "like it". Is this just how we are accustom to viewing it in advertisements or something more, since from the shirt design perspective the onlooker is 'in a sense' watching someone else play a game. The current thought is that we want to bring the viewers attention directly toward the joystick button and follow up by leading the eye into the text. I opted against the obvious decision of making the word "RED" actually red since this would detract from our main focal point, the red button which is smaller than the text itself.

I like the second one better, but I like it when the button is on the left like this:

con_AtariJoystick.jpg

It looks more like an Atari joystick that way. I understand why you want it front and center for design purposes, but I also think that having it on the left would/could/should work, because it would be asymmetrical, thereby calling attention to the fact that there's no matching red button on the other side-- which is the point of the message.

But it's your design, so you should make it look however you want it to look. The rest of us are just "back seat designers." ;)

Michael

con_AtariJoystick.jpg

It looks more like an Atari joystick that way. I understand why you want it front and center for design purposes, but I also think that having it on the left would/could/should work, because it would be asymmetrical, thereby calling attention to the fact that there's no matching red button on the other side-- which is the point of the message.

But it's your design, so you should make it look however you want it to look. The rest of us are just "back seat designers." ;)

Michael

Honestly it shouldn't look any more like an Atari Joystick with the button to the left, or centered for that matter, since the design itself is so iconic. Literally no other company made this style of controller if I'm not mistaken, meaning this shape will always be identified with either Atari, retro video games or hopefully video games as a whole (that last one might just be me hoping for a little too much in a world where the Playstation controller is more often used as an icon to identify games on phone screens and websites). Thoughts?

Edited by monster angriff