IGNORED

atari 130xe

AnthonyD.

Stuck start key would produce the screen you describe. Do you hear a tone from the TV ?

Holding start at power on triggers a cassette boot, the tone tells you to press play on the tape and then hit return to start loading data. I saw an 800XL once with a stuck start key which caused this problem.

I just figured something out guys. when the computer is on i have to press the BREAK key 3 times to get a ready prompt and when i hold down OPTION on startup and press BREAK 3 times i get the SELF TEST screen, weird huh?? but after i get the ready prompt the comuter works normal!!

Normal, but weird if it doesn't give "READY" within about 5 seconds without you doing that.

The normal delay is the OS trying to disk boot and check for certain serial devices - if the computer is just hanging at that point and you need to press BREAK, then something's amiss.

also after i press break 3 times,i get the ready prompt, then i can reset it or turn it on and off and the ready prompt comes on fine when i turn it back on.......... also, my 130xe box says rev a.. is there a rev b model??

there are several 'revisions' of the 130XE... all are basically the same to the user... mostly changes internally for cost etc...

sloopy.

I had a problem with my 130XE keybaord many years ago (eventually dealer repaired) from memory the symptoms were the Option key wouldn't work and when I used the break key strange things happend like the screen display turned off and on... maybe the break and console keys are on the same part/trace of the keybaord connector and this is where the fault lies - am sure someone will know more about this (see Preppie!!'s post and maybe he can expand on what you need to do) ;)

I had a problem with my 130XE keybaord many years ago (eventually dealer repaired) from memory the symptoms were the Option key wouldn't work and when I used the break key strange things happend like the screen display turned off and on... maybe the break and console keys are on the same part/trace of the keybaord connector and this is where the fault lies - am sure someone will know more about this (see Preppie!!'s post and maybe he can expand on what you need to do) ;)

It looks like a bad POKEY chip. The break key, SIO, most of the keyboard, and timers are all on the POKEY chip so try swapping POKEY chips.

Ooops, I forgot 130XE may not be socketed so send to MetalGuy to fix it.

so do you think its worth getting fixed if it still works???

Did you try with some games that play around with timers and 4 voices?

You may want to try a disk drive or simulated one to see if you can read/write. If you just need to use cartridges, no big benefit in the 130XE over older models.

It is a known problem when you have devices connected to the SIo port and errors appear (especially BUFFER errors).

When nothing is connected it is definately a RARE problem. In the 26 years I'm in the 8bit scene I have never had an atari 8bit having this problem in the startup sequence where nothing is connected at the sio bus.

There are a few things that might cause this trouble.

1. Open the atari and check if there are resistor-looking capacitors installed around the sio bus. They might be shortcutting and creating real trouble on the sio lines. In any way you'd better remove them anyway.

2. Another option is that there is a buffer defect. I'm not sure if there is a buffer between SIO and Pokey. I'm Sure metalguy can tell you that. It might be defect (if there is any).

3. I don't think it is the issue, but... you might want to check another PSU. If your PSU is weak, or disturbed, strange and inexpected things might happen. It is worth a try.

4. Like others already said: check what happens when you try to boot a tape or disk...

Good luck!

Marius

i ran the self test and every thing went fine..............

That's funny. That self-test doesn't test anything thoroughly (practically speaking). They just had some extra ROM space left over so put some code in there. I would take the memopad or some Typo-Attack type game there which would test a lot more stuff than the self-test.

Self-test is part of the same ROM that it tests. It uses the RAM in order to test the RAM. As far as I know, if POKEY, 6502, ANTIC, and/or GTIA go bad, self-test most likely won't run either. And as far as PIA chip goes, it doesn't test that. Now if they had put a Typo-Attack game in that at least would have some use since you can play it and test the sounds, keyboard, ANTIC/GTIA/6502/RAM/ROM at the same time.

That's funny. That self-test doesn't test anything thoroughly (practically speaking). They just had some extra ROM space left over so put some code in there. I would take the memopad or some Typo-Attack type game there which would test a lot more stuff than the self-test.

Self-test is part of the same ROM that it tests. It uses the RAM in order to test the RAM. As far as I know, if POKEY, 6502, ANTIC, and/or GTIA go bad, self-test most likely won't run either. And as far as PIA chip goes, it doesn't test that. Now if they had put a Typo-Attack game in that at least would have some use since you can play it and test the sounds, keyboard, ANTIC/GTIA/6502/RAM/ROM at the same time.

well then if the self-test runs your half way home to a working machine :')

sloopy.

well then if the self-test runs your half way home to a working machine :')

sloopy.

But if they extended Missile Command in the XEGS ROM so it had a bonus round of catching letters w/4 voice sounds, you would be more than half-way home to a working machine. You would be able to test track-ball, joystick, keyboard, POKEY sounds, ANTIC/GTIA/6502, etc.

I actually have a machine that runs fine but has problems running self-test so it's not that useful. And that extra bit in PORTB could be really useful for memory expansion.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...