IGNORED

Shipping rip-off

Osbo

Hi... I just want to share a little something. About a week ago I place a bid for 6 bucks in a TI-99/4A. I won the computer. Now the guy wants 15 bucks for shipping and handling... I email him asking why he's charging so much in the shipping. He didn't write back yet... my guess it's 'oh I didn't make the 20 bucks that I wanted for the computer, let me charge it in the shipping then' What a rip off... I'm selling stuff over eBay for the past 3 years, I never rip nobody with the shipping, anyway

Just my two cents

Osbo

Non-eBay, but NCS tried to pull a fast one with postage. After their system let me select a postage method that was just under US$10, they contacted me by email and told me the option I'd selected was not available and that the cost would be US$23 and asked me to okay it. I told them it was fine if that was actually the cost of postage. Of course, when the item arrived it was only US$13 to post. As it turned out I needed an extra thing of approximately the same weight so I got them to post it to me for only US$3 postage. Of course, it was lighter so it only cost US$11 -- The US$2 they can keep for boxes and handling.

Sure, I got it sorted out in the end, but it would have been much nicer if it was all correct in the first place. US$10 is a lot to overcharge someone for postage on items that only total US$40.

Not to defend anyone, but many sellers don't estimate international shipping rates very well, and some do a lousy job of estimating domestic rates too. Some people just don't know all the options and costs that are available to them and just make up a number of the top of their head. I don't think a small packing/handling fee is unreasonable if the seller gets the shipment out fast and does a good job packing. However, some sellers just rip you off on shipping, so it's always a good idea to do what I do BEFORE YOU BID - ask the seller a question like this:

How much is the shipping cost to my state, my zip and by what method? Do you include a handling/packing fee or does this amount represent only actual postage charges?

I think you should get a good idea of who you are dealing with and if you want to buy from them depending on their answers.

good suggestions, I won 2 C64c's this year and the auction stated $15 shipping but of course, when the seller got to the post office the shipping was closer to $30. I wasn't going to hold them to the low estimate because the buyer should agree to a fair shipping price so I paid the extra $15. So some of these computers easily cost $15 to ship especially with the power supply.

shipping is out of control on ebay - a lot of sellers are overcharging on shipping for reasons such as "labor" "drive to the post office, waiting in line and mailing out the item for you etc... - lazy - and ridiculous to charge outrages prices for shipping

i feel your pain - i had paid 15.00 shipping for a wwf vcd one time and the total was 2$ and change - i tell ya what a f'n rip off a bunch of people are

If you have a reasonably accurate scale and have the packing material you'll be using to ship the item in, then it's pretty easy to accurately calculate shipping charges, even internationally. I do this all the time for the items we sell in our store, and we ship a lot of packages internationally as well. For US shipping nailing it right on the head is a piece of cake. For international shipping it's sometimes a touch off, but usually not by much. You can use the USPS Website to calculate charges as long as you know where the package is going and how much it weighs.

Anyone selling a large number of items on eBay should buy a scale, they are inexpensive and combined with a service like Stamps.com can save you a considerable amount of time at the post office. I can see people who don't eBay many items having a harder time gauging accurate shipping, especially for heavy items.

..Al

I actually did the very thing you guys are talking about. On one auction, the shipping was clearly stated as $3.85. It actually cost a little over a $1 to ship (had to buy an envelope for $0.80, but not a big deal). The buyer received it, noticed the difference and instead of e-mailing me or trying to ask for a refund of the difference (which I would have gladly done), he negged me (my first one). On another auction, I clearly stated "shipping to US and Canada" and the buyer ended up being from Finland. Out of courtesy, I tried my best to figure out postage (never mailed overseas before), and ended up over-charging the buyer. But, this buyer has no problem with me refunding the difference and didn't give a negative. I guess some people rather go right to the neg response instead of doing the proper thing and trying to work it out.

As a seller, here's what's pissing me off about shipping. Most bidders want to see the postage amount in the ad itself. No problem - I like to see it myself.

However, the USPS now has "ZONES" when mailing Priority Mail parcels. On smaller stuff - like one 2600 cart - the price is consistent throughout the country - a little over $4 regardless of destination.

However, something larger costs more the further it has to go from where I am. For example, I'm in Ohio. If I mail a 2-pound board game within the state or adjoining states, it'll cost around $5. If that same parcel was going to Maine or South Dakota, it may cost $6 or $7.50 to ship. And, to California, Hawaii, or Alaska, it'll cost over $8! And, the heavier this item is, the higher it goes the further it goes (shipping can DOUBLE if it's going across country when it used to be the same price regardless of where it was going).

I miss the old days where I could weigh a package, figure out the shipping cost and place it in my ads. ("If you win, shipping will be $4.") Now, I have to "hedge" my ads ("If you win, shipping will be between $4 and $6 depending on location. E-mail me with your zip ASAP upon winning.")

And THEN I have to wait until I get the winner's zip code before I can give them a total. What a monstrous pain in the nuts.

And don't get me started on Overseas/Canada shipping. It gets even more complicated.

Ah... well versed here in the art of shipping abroad as I've done it so many times. I never ever specify what the shipping will be in my auctions, I invite people to ask/email me if they want to know for a specific location. Fairly wise considering I've shipping to the four corners of the world. I have scales and price lists from the Post Office, so I can do it all at home too.

As for shipping ripoffs... I did have one recently. Won 6 loose C64 carts from a seller in the US... they wanted $24 to send them to me here in the UK! WTF?! It would be $10 max, if less than that, from past experience. Essentially they got blanked. No feedback left either way. I believe the auction is back up on eBay at this moment...

It's always a good idea to contact the seller and ask about shipping ahead of time. Serious sellers are more than happy to tell you a rate depending on your zone. If the items are being sent UPS or FEDEX gound, the zone does not matter. If you bid on an item that does not have the shipping posted and get overcharged on shipping, than it is your own fault.

I'm leaving eastside of canada.

I have sent 5 item on the same day.

To ship on the westside of canada It cost 6.00 and the same item cost 3.00 for westside of US :?  :?  

Same item in Japon (airmail) it will cost 3.85 :?  :?  

Very strange.....

This is because Canada Post, in its infinite wisdom, does not have small packet mailing within the country which is why its cheaper to ship something internationally then it is within your own province.

And BTW, I don't personally charge "handling" but I understand if a seller wants a dollar or two for their time. Bundling up large package(s) can take quite a bit of time to get ready and it does take time to drive to the post office, stand in line, etc. Time is money right? The funny thing is, no one thinks twice about paying handling when they buy anything that is shipped to them by a company but if an ebayer tries it, look out, negative feedback, yelling, screaming, crying about being ripped off. As long as its not outrageous where the seller is trying to charge $10 or $20 for handling, a dollar or two shouldn't be something to complain about.

Handling charges are suppose to be added into the auction starting bid!

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Get my point. This isn't directed at anyone here. Just an overall frustration that people don't do this. People shouldn't start something at $1 and then charge $1 to ship and $3 for handling.

:)

Allan

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!  :) Allan

Why should EBAY get a percentage of the HANDLING charges?? That's what you are saying if you want people to "include" them into the starting bid. Does EBAY pack the item for me or wait in line at the post office? If not, then they already got enough money from me! :D

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!  :) Allan

Why should EBAY get a percentage of the HANDLING charges?? That's what you are saying if you want people to "include" them into the starting bid. Does EBAY pack the item for me or wait in line at the post office? If not, then they already got enough money from me! :D

At least the buyer wouldn't get this huge surprise handling fee. And considering what eBay charges for the end few (not the posting fees) what could it really amount to? Maybe a penny for a $10 auction. Better than $5 handling few on top of the shipping fee.

Allan

... And considering what eBay charges for the end few (not the posting fees) what could it really amount to? Maybe a penny for a $10 auction. Allan

Even if it was, that would be a penny more than they need to get. And I think it would be a little more than that, not much, but a little - and every little bit counts. :|

No. And I think the bottom line is that if any handling charges are going to be used, the seller should be up front about it and state clearly what their policy is so the buyer can make an informed decision on what they want to bid. If I see a handling fee of say $3.00, my high bid is going to be $3.00 less then normal.

I haven't sold in a while personally but my auctions always had this at the end:

"No handling charges apply. Only actual shipping is charged to get the item safely from me to you."

... And considering what eBay charges for the end few (not the posting fees) what could it really amount to? Maybe a penny for a $10 auction. Allan

Even if it was, that would be a penny more than they need to get. And I think it would be a little more than that, not much, but a little - and every little bit counts. :|

100% agreed !

So are you saying that you'd rather wait until the auction is over and get surprised by the seller for maybe some crazy amount for handling? (unless you can get a price from them before hand through email) I'm not much of a gambling person so I'd rather know up front what the final cost is going to be. I know you can't tell what the shipping is going to be exactly but the more acurate the final cost is, the better. I'm just so damed tired of crazy handling fees. It's gotten way out of hand! (No pun intended. :) )

Allan

If the items are being sent UPS or FEDEX gound, the zone does not matter.

Are you sure about that? I thought UPS rates reflected the distance it had to travel, similar to the USPS Zone idea?

I can't say for sure about 2nd day air or overnight which probably do cost extra, but I can't remember ever being asked for a zip code to ship UPS standard ground. If there was a difference in price, it wasn't enough of a difference for me to take notice. I've only been asked if the package is national or international. I'm not 100% sure how FEDEX works as I've only used them for small overnight parcels.

Either way, I find that asking the seller directly what they expect for shipping is a good idea. Even if they need to revise the price a dollar or two after they get to the parcel post, you'll know up front what kind of person you are dealing with. Would you really want to do business with someone who doesn't respond emails in the first place?