IGNORED

PSP Again! Slim or Original?

4Ks

Personally, I like the 1000 (original). I think it is coolest. Never had a complaint. The only think it can't do is Skype, because the memory is too low for requirements. Great for homebrew, too.

That said, I love the video output abilities from the 2000-3000. Every so often I plug into the TV to get a bigger picture, but that's mostly because I have physical neck problems that make watching the HDTV better than leaning over to see a handheld...

You know the drill.

If all you ever plan on using it for is commercially released titles, and not planning on hacking whatsoever, then probably should just go with the 3000. Easier to come by, brighter screen, etc.

If you do go for the older series, try to make sure you get a hold of one of the stamina batteries since it holds a longer charge. I think the 3000's are packed with those by default but unsure.

And if you don't care for cosmetics/coloring, go for the hana montana limited edition! :P

For some reason the packin has a negative price effect.

Standard no-game-added PSP-3000's are about 169.99.

The Hana Montana edition is usually at 149.99. :ponder:

Personally I'd probably pay the extra 20 bucks if I needed/wanted a second new psp.

If all you ever plan on using it for is commercially released titles, and not planning on hacking whatsoever, then probably should just go with the 3000. Easier to come by, brighter screen, etc.

If you do go for the older series, try to make sure you get a hold of one of the stamina batteries since it holds a longer charge. I think the 3000's are packed with those by default but unsure.

And if you don't care for cosmetics/coloring, go for the hana montana limited edition! :P

For some reason the packin has a negative price effect.

Standard no-game-added PSP-3000's are about 169.99.

The Hana Montana edition is usually at 149.99. :ponder:

Personally I'd probably pay the extra 20 bucks if I needed/wanted a second new psp.

I completely agree!

It should be noted that all the complaints about the 3000's screen were blown completely out of proportion. That fact is, it's screen is superior to the 1000 and 2000. The annoying blur from the first two models in finally gone!

I would only suggest the older versions if you plan to hack it.

PSP-2000 all the way. Only a few apps require a 1000 anymore. You will likely need access to a hacked PSP in order to hack the 2000, but so long as you know someone who's got one (or has JigKick batteries), that's not an issue. Make sure the firmware it has is older than 4.00 because some 2000 series PSPs cannot be "permanently" hacked. I've had two silver Daxter edition PSPs that could be hacked but won't make JigKick batteries. The God of War PSP should be hackable but it's ugly, the FF7 and Star Wars PSPs are definitely hackable and will make JigKick batteries, too.

The only thing missing from the 2000 that I can see was on the 1000 is the IR port. The battery compartment is smaller, but once you hack the PSP and begin to adjust the clock speed, the 1200 mAh battery will last up to 10 or 12 hours. The 1000 can play for 8 to 10 hours at full speed on the stamina pack.

IIRC, 4ks wasn't going the hacking route. That said, I think the only big difference is whether TV-out is wanted or not. While there are screen improvements in later models, I think the difference is minor (Now if we were factoring in the GO's screen, that would be a different story altogether ;)). Also, has he figured out if he wants to buy new or used? If he only wants new, then he is stuck with the 3000 series.

Edited by Austin

The d-pad on the original PSP1000 was poor and has been greatly improved in later models (Doing a diagonal was difficult on the 1000). And the screen is poor compared to any of it's successors. And it's far heavier and doesn't have the smoothed edges like like the PSP3000 has so it isn't as comfortable to hold.

The only thing it the 1000 has going for it is a far better UMD loading mechanism then the cheap things the later models have. That's the only advantage I can think of where my PSP1000 surpasses my 3000. It doesn't cause issues though.

Also the TV/Out function has been improved over the 2000. I believe you can output games to interlaced televisions on the 3000 if you wish. And you aren't limited to outputting gameplay via component to a progressive television any longer (The composite cable in the past could just be used to output UMD movies). Not much of an issue if you'd be playing on a HDTV, but if you wanted to output games to a SDTV it's another advantage in favor of the 3000.

I feel like the benefits of the PSP3000's screen (Increased color range, increased brightness, decreased motion blur) surpassed the screen issues it introduced that weren't present on the 2000. So I wouldn't let the screen hold you back from getting a 3000.

The only reason I'd go with a 2000 is if you want to hack it.

Edited by Atariboy

Considering he was trying to decide whether to go for a PSPgo earlier, it seems very unlikely he has any plans to mod his PSP.

The main advantage I have seen people cite about the PSP-1000 (aside from ease of modding) is that it feels more solid and less likely to break. However, I note that the UK decided to distribute (current) PSPs to its sailors partly based on the ability of the hardware to take a beating; reportedly, a Sony rep demonstrated this to them by throwing a PSP against a wall. So, the newer models, while perhaps not as solid as a PSP-1000, are not exactly fragile either.

I myself have a PSP-2000. The 2000/3000 (Slim) models have decreased loading times compared to the 1000 (thanks to the doubled RAM), have better speaker placement (won't get covered up by your thumbs), and have a better Square button (the PSP-1000 models I have used at store kiosks have had Square buttons with shallower travel, which I recall reading was a design compromise due to the proximity to the LCD screen; apparently, they found a fix or workaround with the Slim models). So, I would recommend a Slim model.

The differences between the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 include the following:

- 3000 has a built-in microphone

- 3000 screen has a wider color gamut, faster response time, and decreased reflectivity (to be honest, I myself never noticed any ghosting on my 2000, though it does have a screen hard to see in sunlight)

- 3000 can display TV-out for game content in a composite signal, whereas the 2000 will only do progressive, requiring the component cable (both models display TV-out video content using either cable, though)

- 3000 has some slight cosmetic differences, specifically at the edges of the face, the silver ring on the back, and the look of the Home button.

Since the 3000 is so much easier to find than the 2000 these days, it would not make a whole lot of sense to go seeking out a 2000, I think. If you like the Metal Gear Solid series, there is a Spirited Green PSP-3000 bundle with MGS: Peace Walker and a 2-GB Memory Stick out now for $200, which is a decent deal compared to the $170 base (Piano Black) model. MGS:PW has been getting very good reviews, though I don't have it yet myself.

Going back momentarily to the PSPgo, the main advantage you're getting with the extra cost is the smaller size. I've read several accounts from people saying they unexpectedly used their PSPgo more than their UMD PSPs because the PSPgo is so much more portable. It fits in a normal pocket. So, if portability is important to you (e.g., you actually found the Game Boy micro handy compared to its predecessor), you may want to reconsider the PSPgo.

onmode-ky

P.S. Once you do get a PSP, there are 2 often overlooked attributes I'd like to encourage checking out:

1. Aside from the Game and Video sections, the PSP's PlayStation Store also has a Comics section. The free Digital Comics application is quite slick (very impressive zoom function, for one, and MP3/AAC playback ability while you read), and the comics selection is pretty good. Prices range from free to $3 per issue.

2. The PlayStation Store's Minis game section has a bad rap, with the general opinion being that they all suck, but this is not true. Aside from some underwhelming iPhone ports, there are also some actual good indie efforts in there.

Edited by onmode-ky

"to be honest, I myself never noticed any ghosting on my 2000"

Play a 2d game and it will quickly be evident even on a 3000.

Any scrolling is going to cause motion blur on a PSP. Even on the 3000's screen, the starfield in something like Galaga on Namco Museum loses all it's sharpness and the colors all but disappear due to motion blur. It's far improved from the 1000 and 2000 though.

IIRC, 4ks wasn't going the hacking route. That said, I think the only big difference is whether TV-out is wanted or not. While there are screen improvements in later models, I think the difference is minor (Now if we were factoring in the GO's screen, that would be a different story altogether ;)). Also, has he figured out if he wants to buy new or used? If he only wants new, then he is stuck with the 3000 series.

If I were to get a 1000 or 2000, I would get a refurbished system from GameStop, but if I got 3000 I would buy it new.

I much prefer the old 1k as a portable system. I take mine everywhere. When it eventually dies, i'll definitely look for another one. It's built like a tank,nice and heavy, works with most everything, most hackable if you want a homebrew portable system. Just the best all around.

Never had a 2k (though I assume it's somewhere between the 1k and 3k systems)

I have a 3k, and honestly, I was very disappointed. It will never be used as a portable, it's to flimsy feeling, it's actually uncomfortable thin, and the screen, my god the screen. I literally came to atari age the day I got the thing and asked if the thing was BROKEN because it just looks hideous in motion. It does however hook to the TV, and that is what I bought it for, so I'll play PSP games on my TV with it, but it'll never be a carryaround system for me.

I much prefer the old 1k as a portable system. I take mine everywhere. When it eventually dies, i'll definitely look for another one. It's built like a tank,nice and heavy, works with most everything, most hackable if you want a homebrew portable system. Just the best all around.

Never had a 2k (though I assume it's somewhere between the 1k and 3k systems)

I have a 3k, and honestly, I was very disappointed. It will never be used as a portable, it's to flimsy feeling, it's actually uncomfortable thin, and the screen, my god the screen. I literally came to atari age the day I got the thing and asked if the thing was BROKEN because it just looks hideous in motion. It does however hook to the TV, and that is what I bought it for, so I'll play PSP games on my TV with it, but it'll never be a carryaround system for me.

A 1K sounds reasonable. I was thinking of getting that anyway after seeing tons of praise for it on GameStop and GameFAQs review pages.

I say 1000. It feels heavier and more durable. The only complaints are- No built in mic. Not as much ram for skype and Internet Browser. It also has a latch to keep the UMD's in, so your not flipping it open on accident (not that it stops gameplay or anything)

The 2000 can indeed output games to an interlaced screen. It can also use a composite cable for this. Games and movies can be run in full screen mode this way as well. These are some of the many advantages of hacking the unit. Others include better frame rates, faster load times (by a mile), emulation, USB charging in any mode (the 1000 won't do this very well), and no need to carry around the UMDs you paid for or re buy your games from the PSN store that you already bought once in UMD format.

There's really no reason to not hack the PSP unless you're wanting to play the newer games. Even those can probably be played on a hacked system with a little work. IMO, a non hacked PSP is about as useful as a Rumble Pak on a 2600.

Others include better frame rates, faster load times (by a mile),

Does it really have better frame rates? or is that just in a hack? If so, I might as well get a 2000, I hate socom 2 single player, because of the really droppy frame rate.

The 2000 can indeed output games to an interlaced screen. It can also use a composite cable for this. Games and movies can be run in full screen mode this way as well. These are some of the many advantages of hacking the unit. Others include better frame rates, faster load times (by a mile), emulation, USB charging in any mode (the 1000 won't do this very well), and no need to carry around the UMDs you paid for or re buy your games from the PSN store that you already bought once in UMD format.

There's really no reason to not hack the PSP unless you're wanting to play the newer games. Even those can probably be played on a hacked system with a little work. IMO, a non hacked PSP is about as useful as a Rumble Pak on a 2600.

He was this close to buying a PSP Go, so what's possible through hacking probably doesn't matter to him. Out of the box, the 2000 doesnt do any of those things.

A 40 year old Volkswagon Beatle can't do 100mph, but I'm sure through heavy modifications to it you could get one to do 100. That doesn't mean you go around quoting 100mph for the top speed of a 1970 VW.

But I agree completely, if you want to hack the thing, a 2000 is what you want. But just playing it with it's capabilities right out of the factory, I'd pick the 3000 everytime.

Edited by Atariboy

Oh hell yeah. A little Adventure with rumble feedback is what I'm talkin'bout.

• Like 1