IGNORED

Most advanced A7800 games

urborg

I'm curious which are most graphically and technically advanced A7800 games. I wonder what A7800 is capable to do with its hardware. As I see Alien Brigade looks good - colorful graphics, nice animations. Commando looks as advanced game too - many sprites, colorful graphics as well. Basketbrawl is also impressive with huge sprite characters, and nice use of colors. Any other types?

I'm curious which are most graphically and technically advanced A7800 games. I wonder what A7800 is capable to do with its hardware. As I see Alien Brigade looks good - colorful graphics, nice animations. Commando looks as advanced game too - many sprites, colorful graphics as well. Basketbrawl is also impressive with huge sprite characters, and nice use of colors. Any other types?

I think GroovyBee, Curt, Opcode and the other jedis may be about to redefine what you think is possible.

As for games that were developed back then, check out my fake commercial to see a lot of the games in action

Also check out PLUTOS and SIRIUS, which were unreleased games from back then.

For now, check out some of the stuff GroovyBee has done. Example:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/144344-apple-snaffle-7800s-25th-birthday-game/

Edited by DracIsBack

2 of the most impressive 7800 games for me have always been Desert Falcon and Ballblazer. Both have very impressive graphics using different types of 3D perspective and both also have brilliant sound too. DF has some of the best Tia sound I have heard and of course Ballblazer has a Pokey chip :love:

Desert Falcon looks good, especially compared with rather poor Atari XE version. Ballblazer - Pokey chip inside, but music do not impress me at all. I'm an Atari XE user and I've heard hundreds of much better tunes. Maybe that's the reason. I'd say it is a waste to put Pokey chip inside, only in order to play this music.

The most advanced 7800 games are yet to come.

But let's not forget the submarine scenes from Tower Toppler.

0.jpg

Those parallax submarine scenes also looked very nice in the old DOS version. (6:30 mark in this video)

The programmers squeezed some impressive visuals from an ass slow PC with CGA. The NES version replaced the submarine stages with something else. I wonder if because the NES couldn't handle the graphics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWI8y5ZSk5s

Come to think of it, maybe they should have done an entire parallax scrolling horizontal shooter instead of the frustrating tower thing.

The NES version replaced the submarine stages with something else. I wonder if because the NES couldn't handle the graphics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWI8y5ZSk5s

The NES couldnt handle the graphics. The 7800 occasionally managed to show it's strengths in great ways. The submarine scenes took advantage of the 7800's high-res display mode to do just that. I thought it was pretty fantastic.

No, it took advantage of the 7800's display lists to do that. The submarine sequence doesn't run in high-res mode.

Not quite correct. The digits and score at the top are done in 320A then a DLI is called to change mode for the parallax scrolling. The parallax scrolling uses indirect/character mode for the scrolled layers with sprites for the submarine and fish overlaid on top. It runs very close to the upper limit of MARIA cycles when you get the submarine and fish in the same zones.

Not quite correct. The digits and score at the top are done in 320A then a DLI is called to change mode for the parallax scrolling.

That's nice, but I said nothing about the status display. I was referring strictly to the scrolling submarine part.

I'm all for pedantry, but at least do it correctly.

• Like 1

Not quite correct. The digits and score at the top are done in 320A then a DLI is called to change mode for the parallax scrolling.

That's nice, but I said nothing about the status display. I was referring strictly to the scrolling submarine part.

And Grooveybee has released a number of games and is on the dev team for the 7800 expansion module, while you've released nothing, and are nothing but a pedantic troll.

What good is it being a know-it-all about 7800 coding, if you only use it to be a fucking smart ass on the internet?

• Like 2

What good is it being a know-it-all about 7800 coding, if you only use it to be a fucking smart ass on the internet?

I may be in the minority, but I think Zylon Bane's posts are hilarious.. They get people wound up, that's for sure..

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I think Zylon Bane's posts are hilarious.. They get people wound up, that's for sure..

Your in the minority.

• Like 2

Aside from what was already said, to me the most amazing graphics on the 7800 can be found only on F18 Hornet. Mine you can fly through tunnels, hangers, and gates. I can not even think of another game like this until the 32 bit era of gaming. Remember someone did discover the 7800 can do polygons.

F-18 Hornet was a graphically impressive but terrible to actually play game. Almost as awful as F-14 Tomcat.

We almost got to see Hard Drivin' on the NES: http://www.lostlevels.org/wordpress/2007/02/27/hard-drivin-for-the-nes-first-screenshots/

There were, however, ports of Race Drivin' for the Genesis and SNES (16-bit consoles). They did not, as far as I'm aware, use extra hardware in the cartridges. There was also a port of Steel Talons for the Genesis.

Almost as awful as F-14 Tomcat.

Wow - there was a game that disappointed me as a kid. I thought it LOOKED awesome in screen shots and even the packaging, but when you played it - wow! The control schemes made me want to gag! Only game I can think of where almost every friggen button and switch on the 7800 served to control the plain in some way. Even the RESET wasn't RESET unless you held it down for an extended period of time.

Even still, was hard to hit another plane or to land. UGH!

And Grooveybee has released a number of games and is on the dev team for the 7800 expansion module, while you've released nothing, and are nothing but a pedantic troll.

copied, pasted, and SAVED!!!