IGNORED

How does CGE auction work?

I attended in 2007 but went to a RUSH concert and missed the auction...is it cash only? Do you have to pre register? Basically how does it work, went to the CGE site but could not find info on the details or I must have missed it.

I'll step in here as I am a CGE auction facilitator :)

It IS cash only.

You do not have to pre-register.

It works like most auctions. Item is presented, minimum bid is announced, crowd bids on item. Some time passes, then going once, going twice, SOLD. Unlike most live auctions, you do not have to register for "a number". You simply raise your hand when the auctioneer asks "Do I have $25,000", for example.

If you plan to bring an item for auction, there is a limit of 2 items and they have to be pre-approved by a CGE auction facilitator. The event runs for about 3 hours starting at 7pm on Saturday, approximately 40 items are chosen.

If I missed anything else important, just ask. Hopefully we're not competing with any big-name rock bands this year!

Joe

I attended in 2007 but went to a RUSH concert and missed the auction...is it cash only? Do you have to pre register? Basically how does it work, went to the CGE site but could not find info on the details or I must have missed it.

It IS cash only.

It works like most auctions. Item is presented, minimum bid is announced, crowd bids on item. Some time passes, then going once, going twice, SOLD. Unlike most live auctions, you do not have to register for "a number". You simply raise your hand when the auctioneer asks "Do I have $25,000", for example.

If you plan to bring an item for auction, there is a limit of 2 items and they have to be pre-approved by a CGE auction facilitator. The event runs for about 3 hours starting at 7pm on Saturday, approximately 40 items are chosen.

If I missed anything else important, just ask. Hopefully we're not competing with any big-name rock bands this year!

Joe

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

It IS cash only.

Joe

As a CGE virgin (one of many that will be attending this year from what I can tell, go virgins!!!), can anyone tell me what kinds of things have been at the auction and what to expect at this year's? Rare carts, systems, brochures, that kind of thing?

As a CGE non-virgin, I can not stress enough that the auction is NOT TO BE MISSED. I didn't have the scribble to buy anything (was still in college when I went to my first CGE and didn't have a good job yet at the second) but would definitely be participating in the bidding if I ever went to a CGE again. Is John Hardie going to be the auctioneer this year? He's fun.

Chris

As a CGE non-virgin, I can not stress enough that the auction is NOT TO BE MISSED. I didn't have the scribble to buy anything (was still in college when I went to my first CGE and didn't have a good job yet at the second) but would definitely be participating in the bidding if I ever went to a CGE again. Is John Hardie going to be the auctioneer this year? He's fun.

I went in 2001 and I remember the biggest money items being a prototype 2600 cartridge that Rob Fulop had that sold for $500 and a rare Venture II 2600 cartridge that sold for about $210. It is definitely not to be missed and I am looking forward to it.

As a CGE virgin (one of many that will be attending this year from what I can tell, go virgins!!!), can anyone tell me what kinds of things have been at the auction and what to expect at this year's? Rare carts, systems, brochures, that kind of thing?

Dig through cyro's links for auction examples of the past. ;)

http://www.cyberroach.com/