IGNORED

1010 Field Service Manual and Repair Help

pseverini

Atari 1010 Technicians

Does anyone have a copy of the 1010 Field Service Manual? Has anyone ever repaired a 1010? I need some help debugging the ADVANCE button on the tape drive. All of the other functions work except for the ADVANCE button.

Thanks.

What happens when you try to use the advance button? Does it try to advance the tape or does the key not stay down or what.

Mitch

Atari 1010 Technicians

Does anyone have a copy of the 1010 Field Service Manual? Has anyone ever repaired a 1010? I need some help debugging the ADVANCE button on the tape drive. All of the other functions work except for the ADVANCE button.

Thanks.

What happens when you try to use the advance button? Does it try to advance the tape or does the key not stay down or what.

Mitch

It could be the advance button is not making a solid contact when you push the button down. Personally I hate my 1010's. I have two. One works great (Taiwan) the other (Hong Kong) I could never get the play to work.

Reference: Trobule with 1010

The button mech on them is rubbish, relies on way too much leverage pressure and the tabs on the buttons can just break.

A fairly common "fix" was to just break the remaining bit of tab off, level off the surface and just put a screw in.

Atari 1010 Technicians

Thanks.

Mitch

It could be the advance button is not making a solid contact when you push the button down. Personally I hate my 1010's. I have two. One works great (Taiwan) the other (Hong Kong) I could never get the play to work.

I opened her up and I manually applied pressure to the contacts where the button hits. The button is engaging the mechanism fine. There's a small metal pin that spins when I press the Advance button. It just seems the main gear does not engage for the wheel like it does when I press Rewind.

Atari 1010 Technicians

Thanks.

Mitch

I opened her up and I manually applied pressure to the contacts where the button hits. The button is engaging the mechanism fine. There's a small metal pin that spins when I press the Advance button. It just seems the main gear does not engage for the wheel like it does when I press Rewind.

Atari 1010 Technicians

Thanks.

Mitch

The buttons all work fine. It seems to be some logic when two contacts are made in the internals. The contact switches seem to be working fine because they're used for the other buttons as well. The main motor is not running when the two contacts are made. There's one contact switch which is shared between Rewind and Advance. They both also have their own contact switch which is triggered when the button is pressed down. I made sure both contact switches made contact. I can get the Rewind to work fine when I use the same logic.

Edited by pseverini

Atari 1010 Technicians

Thanks.

Mitch

Mitch,

I have two as well. Both from Hong Kong. The Play does not engage as well on both of them. I'm not sure if the Play should work or not.

Well, this news (on the 1010) sucks. I have never had one. But I was thinking about getting one to try some of the old "Conversational Spanish" type stuff.

So as it seems, every one of the Atari program recorders were pieces of shit.

I spent many hours in 1980-1983 typing in programs and saving them to cassette with the 410 - after learning to save multiple, multiple copies - and lose them. 410: unreliable

Then I heard the XC11 and XC12 were super-el-cheapo-Tramiel-cost-cutting-crap.

Now I hear the 1010 is a piece of shit, too? I was under the impression this was the apex of Atari program recorders. No?

As I have never had one, I don't understand the problem: You mean the buttons just break from being constructed inadequately? Which of the 2 1010s (silver or orange sticker inside the cassette door) is the more desirable? Or are they both equally pieces of shit?

Thanks in advance; this isn't merely a bitch session - I was really thinking about getting one and now I wonder if it would just be an exercise in frustration and futility.

Never had a problem with my 1010 back in the day - typed up many a magazine program and saved it. Right now I have another 1010 thanks to Mitch, and it works perfectly; I'm going through my Conversational Spanish and Invitation to Programming Series. B & C is selling a reconditioned 1010 for $25 - maybe pick that one up if you can't get this one going?