IGNORED

Venture Homage Project Seeks Team Members

tomjscott

I am assuming since your using my BJL cd you found my website (if not it is linked below).

I have both the original Windows 9X compatible dev tools on my site, and a newer set I put together that is Windows XP and 2000 compatible.

If your using Vista or Windows 7, the old Atari tools seem to work fine with them. Just an issue with XP and 2000.

I also have a live CD that boots into Linux and has all the old and new dev tools working on it. If your already using Linux on a system, I recommend using the dev tools under that. It is nice that everything just works. You can also use Seb's Removers Library which is a nice set of libraries to handle things like sprites, mod playback, sound playback, joypad reading, etc.

You can use VMWare Player or Virtualbox to run my live ISO (or boot it directly) if you want to play with jag development under Linux without doing a Linux install. I have seb's library installed on the live cd along with a bunch of other stuff.

Owl is right on the jag community. If you plan on selling the CD I can guarantee you some will come down on you hard if you haven't acquired the rights. It happened with Gorf's version of Gorf for the Jaguar. I got called out on my work in using the Doom engine, but luckily I had already talked to Carmack at id Software and got the proper info on how I should proceed from him.

http://www.hillsoftware.com

Excellent info Belboz.

I know many struggled with XP, didn't know Vista was OK.

Have to admit these days i still use 98 (started with the Falcon)

I am assuming since your using my BJL cd you found my website (if not it is linked below).

I have both the original Windows 9X compatible dev tools on my site, and a newer set I put together that is Windows XP and 2000 compatible.

If your using Vista or Windows 7, the old Atari tools seem to work fine with them. Just an issue with XP and 2000.

I also have a live CD that boots into Linux and has all the old and new dev tools working on it. If your already using Linux on a system, I recommend using the dev tools under that. It is nice that everything just works. You can also use Seb's Removers Library which is a nice set of libraries to handle things like sprites, mod playback, sound playback, joypad reading, etc.

You can use VMWare Player or Virtualbox to run my live ISO (or boot it directly) if you want to play with jag development under Linux without doing a Linux install. I have seb's library installed on the live cd along with a bunch of other stuff.

Owl is right on the jag community. If you plan on selling the CD I can guarantee you some will come down on you hard if you haven't acquired the rights. It happened with Gorf's version of Gorf for the Jaguar. I got called out on my work in using the Doom engine, but luckily I had already talked to Carmack at id Software and got the proper info on how I should proceed from him.

http://www.hillsoftware.com

I did find your site, but I didn't see the Win9x specific dev tools. Now that I see them, I'll definitely download that and start there. As far as using existing libraries, I will probably avoid that at this point. I know it may make my job easier, but I have some very specific design ideas for code and tools that I want to try first. Not only will I learn a lot in doing so, but they'll fit best into my long range plans. I will certainly look to them for inspiration and if I hit any roadblocks. Thanks for all the information.

As far as Venture copyright issues, it's a fairly simple game that can't really threaten anything I do if I make certain changes. The word Venture itself would be an issue, but by just adding the word Again after it, there's no problem. I'll have completely new rooms and levels, I won't use the same name for the main character, music will be original, etc. It shouldn't be a problem. However, I would prefer an official license if possible so I'm looking into that. In the end, if my changes are still an issue then I'll just make more changes until it's acceptable.

• Like 1

JagMod was the one who informed me of the Vista compatibility. I tried them later on Windows 7 and found they worked there too.

Excellent info Belboz.

I know many struggled with XP, didn't know Vista was OK.

Have to admit these days i still use 98 (started with the Falcon)

... Later on, I got the Colecovision and played Venture at home for endless hours. I want to create a sequel to the game with upgraded graphics and sound for the Jaguar CD...

Potentially a wonderful prospect for the mighty Jag, tomjscott! :lust:

I've only very recently acquired a ColecoVision and within the past couple of days also snagged Venture for it. Although I've not yet managed to play the game it most certainly appears to be well thought of based on some of the reviews I read on the internets that led me to purchase it.

Best of luck for the journey ahead. :)

I will be attending the Classic Gaming Expo in Vegas at the end of the month and can certainly meet up with anyone who is interested and will be there. Otherwise, please respond on this forum or e-mail me at tscott at magiqueproductions dot com.

I'm not a music guy or anything -- more art-like, but unfortunately my "talents" (if you want to call them that haha) are being used towards other Jaguar projects.

It sounds like you have things well on their way, though, since you already have your artist and the music person.

I look forward to seeing what you're able to do and will follow the project on your FB page.

As you will be attending CGE, I'll make it a point to find you there. Oddly enough, I'll be staying in Henderson for a little vacation time, which is interesting since it appears that is where you live!

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything Tom, but just out of curiosity, why the Jag?

I'm actually interested in making classic games for the Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision, and NES as well. I've been reading up on the docs and programming tutorials for all of them for a while now. I've been going back and forth on which one I want to settle on for my first project and finally picked the Jaguar. I like the Jag's capabilities and available tools.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything Tom, but just out of curiosity, why the Jag?

I'm actually interested in making classic games for the Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision, and NES as well. I've been reading up on the docs and programming tutorials for all of them for a while now. I've been going back and forth on which one I want to settle on for my first project and finally picked the Jaguar. I like the Jag's capabilities and available tools.

The current tool situation is largely the result of Bellboz and SubQmod. The whole setup scenario was a humongous mess like 5 years ago and they came by and whipped it into shape.

SubQmod did the new assembler/linker. and Belboz did all that work with those ready to go dev setups he hosts on his site. These guys did an incredible amount of work. Not only that but originallly none of the tools worked with BJL because of a video init problem that Boz found and fixed. There was actually a few problems with the Jag dev system Boz worked the kinks out of. Now it all works smooth as a babies ass in comparison to what it was.

These guys cant be thanked enough for their contributions.

We're not done yet though, we're still gunning for a GPU C compiler :)

For the new tools, I compiled and targetted VBCC for the Jag. I spend some time chatting in email with the vlink author and on some changes to vlink to get it to work for the Jag.

I used vbcc so we could get something to work with Windows XP and not have to deal with all the overhead that gcc needed.

That's cool. I'm sure this game will come out great on the Jaguar. Have you also considered the Lynx?

No, I haven't yet. I never had a Lynx and know very little about it. However, I'd be willing to look at it at some future date. I do want to focus my time on Atari Jaguar only so I can maximize my efforts.

Do you know what was the relationship between Bally and Midway?

As Bally/Midway released 2 of their arcade games for the Lynx - Xenophobe and Rampage.

Maybe you could license a load of old Bally arcade games very easily? :?

I checked our company history and what happened was that Bally/Midway, the pinball division of Bally, was sold to WMS in 1988. In 1995, WMS tried to acquire Bally Gaming as well, but failed.

Hi Tom :)

Good to see another group working on the Jaguar. We've (reboot) recently released 2 commercial games, Beebris and Superfly, along with Jaguar ULS (a method of injecting a binary into a valid Jaguar CD image without failing the encryption) and several other snippets of things.

If we can help in any way, or if you would like to use some of the libraries we have developed for the Jaguar, in order to make things move more quickly for you then please get in touch with us.

Good luck assembling the team, and also assembling the game binary!

• Like 2

Hi Tom :)

Good to see another group working on the Jaguar. We've (reboot) recently released 2 commercial games, Beebris and Superfly, along with Jaguar ULS (a method of injecting a binary into a valid Jaguar CD image without failing the encryption) and several other snippets of things.

If we can help in any way, or if you would like to use some of the libraries we have developed for the Jaguar, in order to make things move more quickly for you then please get in touch with us.

Good luck assembling the team, and also assembling the game binary!

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure we'll need help for various things along the way.

That's cool. I'm sure this game will come out great on the Jaguar. Have you also considered the Lynx?

No, I haven't yet. I never had a Lynx and know very little about it. However, I'd be willing to look at it at some future date. I do want to focus my time on Atari Jaguar only so I can maximize my efforts.

I like the way this guy thinks! Maximize Jaguar efforts!! WOOHOO!! :cool: "JAGUAR RULES!"

you nabbed or snagged anyone yet Mr Scott...any idea's on other projects your planning on (jaguar related ofcourse) or have'nt you looked that far yet

I have an artist and musician and that's pretty much all I need for the moment. As far as other projects Jaguar related, I will definitely do more if things work out for this one. I can't release any details on those yet. I want to see how this one goes first.

Edited by tomjscott

I have an artist and musician and that's pretty much all I need for the moment. As far as other projects Jaguar related, I will definitely do more if things work out for this one. I can't release any details on those yet. I want to see how this one goes first.

Hi Tom, I've got a few questions about releasing the game (I know, it's maybe early for that :) )

Will it be on CD or maybe cart for collectors to own? Will there be a release of the binary or maybe a demo version? Or is it too early to say just now?

Hi Tom, I've got a few questions about releasing the game (I know, it's maybe early for that :) )

Will it be on CD or maybe cart for collectors to own? Will there be a release of the binary or maybe a demo version? Or is it too early to say just now?

Too early to say on any of that.