IGNORED

Fonts

Hello Karsten.....

Question... The C64 font you posted has be squished to fit in a 256 pixel screen, correct ? If so do you have a C64 font that is still in 8x8 format ?

Thanks...Marc.

Hi Marc

No. Not a single font in this thread has been squished (= reducing number of pixels). Generally the C64 has 40 columns and the TI-99/4A has 32 columns. Each column consists of 8x8 pixel characters. Hence the C64 has a screen width of 320 pixels (= 40*8 ), and the TI has 256 pixels (= 32*8 ) - as you mentioned.

Exactly 6 years ago I did a demo to try out the TI 40 column mode. You know how it only displays the first 6 pixels from any character - and hence "only" displaying 240 pixels in width (= 40*6). The demo was simulating the C64 and I had to squeeze/redesign the C64 characters (basically going from 8 to 6 pixels in width).

I'll make the squished C64 font available soon too.

c64s.png

Edited by sometimes99er

I've added 17 more fonts. So that's a total of 100 fonts for now. Pineapple's been updated with the fonts too.

100 fonts, now how cool is that :cool:

Just wondering, are there more cool textmode fonts out there.

Do you remember "nibbler" ? it's a sector copy program for copying disks on the TI-99/4A.

If I'm not mistaking that one ran in text mode. Always liked the font they used.

Hello Karsten.....

Question... The C64 font you posted has be squished to fit in a 256 pixel screen, correct ? If so do you have a C64 font that is still in 8x8 format ?

Thanks...Marc.

Hi Marc

No. Not a single font in this thread has been squished (= reducing number of pixels). Generally the C64 has 40 columns and the TI-99/4A has 32 columns. Each column consists of 8x8 pixel characters. Hence the C64 has a screen width of 320 pixels (= 40*8 ), and the TI has 256 pixels (= 32*8 ) - as you mentioned.

Exactly 6 years ago I did a demo to try out the TI 40 column mode. You know how it only displays the first 6 pixels from any character - and hence "only" displaying 240 pixels in width (= 40*6). The demo was simulating the C64 and I had to squeeze/redesign the C64 characters (basically going from 8 to 6 pixels in width).

I moved my site from 99er.net to planet-99.net, and unfortunately you can't download demos (binaries) at the moment. I'll get to this soon.

I'll make the squished C64 font available soon too.

:) Karsten

C64 screenshot and TI-99/4A 40 column demo (both MESS palettes with 8 pixel borders):

c64.png

ti9940.png

No need for the squishing on my account Karsten. I just assumed that is what the other font was. You mind if I borrow the 8x8 C64 font for a project of mine ?

No need for the squishing on my account Karsten. I just assumed that is what the other font was. You mind if I borrow the 8x8 C64 font for a project of mine ?

All of the fonts are presented for reference and nostalgia purposes only. I guess you can use them as you want as long as you keep them in the retroscene. I've tried to give credit or at least a reference for each of the entries. It's in the txt file within the zip.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

Do you remember "nibbler" ? it's a sector copy program for copying disks on the TI-99/4A.

If I'm not mistaking that one ran in text mode. Always liked the font they used.

I might be able to dust up a few from other 9918A specific machines of the time, but I guess they will look much like those we've already seen. My early eighties setup was Mini Memory, 32K Expansion and Cassette-deck. Since the return in 2004, I've mainly been into emulated cartridge production. Guess that was my teenage dream. Fast and furious and selectable from the menu. How cool is that ? So I can't really say I've ever seen or heard about Nibbler. If anyone's got a copy, I like to try and rip the font.

Edited by sometimes99er

All of the fonts are presented for reference and nostalgia purposes only. I guess you can use them as you want as long as you keep them in the retroscene. I've tried to give credit or at least a reference for each of the entries. It's in the txt file within the zip.

Sorry Karsten.... answer kind of cryptic on my end.

I assume you dumped these yourself and was asking your permission to use your works (aside from the obvious C64 ownership.) If I use them they will be in a TI99 program. Is that retro scene enough ;-) Thanks....

Marcus

Sorry Karsten.... answer kind of cryptic on my end.

I assume you dumped these yourself and was asking your permission to use your works (aside from the obvious C64 ownership.) If I use them they will be in a TI99 program. Is that retro scene enough ;-) Thanks....

Marcus

Yes, yes and yes. Yes, I just dumped these one way or another. Yes, anybody can use the fonts if they so please. No need to ask permission. I'm just putting them here and in a format for easy use with some of our later TI tools (Magellan, CartographPC and Grapefruit).

I just made this one ...

0110preview.gif

I'm "only" using 6 pixels in height (and of course 5 in width). That should leave room for some nice lowercase, which I might try and add later.

Very nice. I have some plans for playing around with textmode. So this will be very usefull.

I think what you have here is pretty much the largest TMS9918 font library :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I will be able to add about 100 more fonts, before going to sleep *). I might then make Pineapple more flexible so one can download, upload and edit fonts in a repository. I guess the repository will be add only with a maximum of maybe 20 entries a day.

Here's a quick demo showing my TI-99/4A Font Ripper 1.0. This software will be released later this year. The Load is recognizing character patterns based on file type. Right now it's only reading common Commodore 64 binary pattern files. I'm working on a common Arcade (MAME) image file import. Might also add a color reducer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8XG31RcGn0

*) Letting this thread rest. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er

I think what you have here is pretty much the largest TMS9918 font library :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I will be able to add about 100 more fonts, before going to sleep *). I might then make Pineapple more flexible so one can download, upload and edit fonts in a repository. I guess the repository will be add only with a maximum of maybe 20 entries a day.

Here's a quick demo showing my TI-99/4A Font Ripper 1.0. This software will be released later this year. The Load is recognizing character patterns based on file type. Right now it's only reading common Commodore 64 binary pattern files. I'm working on a common Arcade (MAME) image file import. Might also add a color reducer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8XG31RcGn0

*) Letting this thread rest. ;)

ahh, it's nice to take a look behind the scenes ;)

Is Font Ripper a C# program ? Will you combine it with Strawberry (e.g. export as character patterns) ?

Very cool :cool:

ahh, it's nice to take a look behind the scenes ;)

Thanks. It's very short, but then just to show that I'm now using much more time on other things related to this thread than the actual individual ripping.

Is Font Ripper a C# program ?

Yep. Might rewrite for Flash/ActionScript3, but that's way down on the list.

Will you combine it with Strawberry (e.g. export as character patterns) ?

Yes. I'll update the Strawberry thread for more info on this.

I made this new 40 column font based on a previous one (#0114). Basically a 6x6 pixel font made into a 5x6. The letters M and W would have been the only characters to give me trouble since they were actually 7x6, but I think I got away with murder.

0122preview.gif

I think this is the coolest text mode font I've ever seen for the TI-99/4A :)