IGNORED

Messed up Atari colors

Gigabyte

I bought an Atari, but after running for 20 minutes or so, the colors go grey and washed out and static-y. Turning console off and on fixes the problem. I found this thread on google from 2002:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134853

and it seems to be a similar problem. It's a 4-switch model btw, not a Vader, I think it's called a CX2600 or something similar. Is this something I can probably fix? Is there something that needs to be cleaned inside? Are there any good guides on AA or anywhere else? I'm ready to open this sucker up and start fixing...

It doesn't sound like overheating, because turning it on and off fixes the problem, which makes me think it isn't the cords (plus, no change when cords were wiggled, either way). That pretty much leaves dust, glitching up graphics is what it does best.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the replies... I'm not so sure it's the 5V regular... we seem to be having different "symptoms" Trinity. It would be nice, but my console turns on fine, even plays fine with the graphics go grey... it's very strange. But everyone here knows more about this than me, so who knows. As for the green chicklet, is there a guide to replacing that piece, can I get it at Radio Shack, or do I have to go to ebay?

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Gigabyte

The green cap might be available at Radio Shack, but don't know for sure. I always swap one from another board that I may have laying around when I need them.

If RS don't, you should be able to order from Mouser Electronics or some other online parts supplier.

Thanks for the replies... I'm not so sure it's the 5V regular... we seem to be having different "symptoms" Trinity. It would be nice, but my console turns on fine, even plays fine with the graphics go grey... it's very strange. But everyone here knows more about this than me, so who knows. As for the green chicklet, is there a guide to replacing that piece, can I get it at Radio Shack, or do I have to go to ebay?

Thanks again guys!

Test the regulator.

Trust me.:)

Well should I not play the system until fixed? How does the voltage regulator affect the colors so strangely? why would it mess up after being turned on for a while?

Plus, I hear something rattling around inside the system, a screw perhaps...

I really do appreciate the advice, but could you maybe explain the 5V regulator and how it creates my problem? Why would this part go bad? I bought used, but it came with a legit atari AC adapter.

I don't have a voltmeter, but I bet my friend does...

I opened the thing up to look around, found a piece of plastic that was causing the rattle. Found the chicklet, I should be able to replace that, if its the problem.

Also, a NEW SYMPTOM, the grey/static colors can flash on and off. So the colors mess up, and then go normal, but eventually they always stay gray. A quick power off/on fixes the problem for another 15-20 minutes.

Edited by Gigabyte

Well should I not play the system until fixed? How does the voltage regulator affect the colors so strangely? why would it mess up after being turned on for a while?

Plus, I hear something rattling around inside the system, a screw perhaps...

I really do appreciate the advice, but could you maybe explain the 5V regulator and how it creates my problem? Why would this part go bad? I bought used, but it came with a legit atari AC adapter.

I don't have a voltmeter, but I bet my friend does...

I opened the thing up to look around, found a piece of plastic that was causing the rattle. Found the chicklet, I should be able to replace that, if its the problem.

Also, a NEW SYMPTOM, the grey/static colors can flash on and off. So the colors mess up, and then go normal, but eventually they always stay gray. A quick power off/on fixes the problem for another 15-20 minutes.

Well I forgot to mention that when my 7805 was going bad before it would go black, the colors would fade then go black and white,,, then poof! Dead. All in about 10 seconds, up to a minute.

Anyway, Good luck! Hope you get her fixed.

"SYMPTOM:

Screen becomes snowy and/or no color after several minutes of play.

Reset cures problem but only for a while.

REPAIR:

CX-2600 [six switch] owners, try replacing the .22 ufd capacitors,

(they look like green Chicklets) on teh upper PCB near the ON/OFF

switch (Repace with .22ufd 100 vold cap).

CS-2600A [four switch] owners, should replace the .1ufd capacitor,

C241 (it also looks like a green Chicklet) in the lower left hand

corner of the PCB. (Replace with .1ufd 24 vold cap.)"

Going to Radio Shack later to try and pick the new cap up. Anything special I need to do when replacing it?

"SYMPTOM:

Screen becomes snowy and/or no color after several minutes of play.

Reset cures problem but only for a while.

REPAIR:

CX-2600 [six switch] owners, try replacing the .22 ufd capacitors,

(they look like green Chicklets) on teh upper PCB near the ON/OFF

switch (Repace with .22ufd 100 vold cap).

CS-2600A [four switch] owners, should replace the .1ufd capacitor,

C241 (it also looks like a green Chicklet) in the lower left hand

corner of the PCB. (Replace with .1ufd 24 vold cap.)"

Going to Radio Shack later to try and pick the new cap up. Anything special I need to do when replacing it?

What's their part number for that capacitor?

Pick up a 7805 while your there. Only a buck or two.:)