IGNORED

Alpha Omega project - part 3 - Intellivision

bacteria

This Alpha Omega system will be the mother of all video console systems!

Part 3 of 18 systems, is Intellivision.

Done the Intellivision video and uploaded it onto my website. Normally i'd link the YouTube video here, however on this occasion i'll direct you to my webpage as it has the video, diagrams, and a few links that are relevant and of interest to Intellivision users.

http://moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com/mattel-intelivision/

As you see, linked to this forum for people interested, so may generate a few more site hits...

Also linked useful sites for manuals, overlays, etc: - if there are any good ones i've missed, please let me know!

Ok, £50 including tracked postage (*per* controller wanted); this includes tracked postage; payment via PayPal. I estimate it will take around 5 hours or thereabouts labour for the work and need about £6 in parts and around £8 in postage; when you look at it that way, £50 for a controller isn't expensive i'd suggest!

For that, i'll use an original Intellivision controller but change all the guts. You'll still be able to use your original overlays properly, the d-pad will be 4 way as mine; the one difference will be the fact that the back of the controller, the recess, will need to be made less indented to accomodate the thickness of the tactile switches needed for the keypad.

If you want to proceed, please let me know; i'll happily work on the project for you on the basis of a 50% deposit at time of order, 50% on completion; and if I fail to make the controller as good as I know I can, you'll have the option of full refund instead of payment of remainder of funds before dispatch - I think that's pretty fair. I'll post pics and video of the final controller so you can decide at the time. Please PM me if you are interested to discuss.

I have 5 Intellivision consoles, two work fine (one was used for the Alpha Omega project) although had to swap a non-working controller from one system for a working one to get that one working ok, two of the other consoles are dead but might be ok to get the third one working from parts. This means I have potentially 5 original Intellivision controllers at the moment for modding if I need to.

BTW - did a composite A/V mod to an Intellivision today, used smaller rated caps for the work, the video quality is excellent, video output looks if anything a bit better than the official Beeslife one. Put it up for sale to UK bidders, if anyone is interested. If it sells, i'll buy another (hopefully working) Intv console and mod and sell that item too. If anyone is interested in that, or a region free NES console, links via my forum *HERE*

Yeah, I know it isn't cheap, but there is a fair bit of work involved. Thing is, some of the flaws of the Intellivision controller are part of its retro charm; changing that "feel" is probably a debatable benefit. I had no choice but to do the wiring and work out the matrix as for my Alpha Omega project i'll be using the same keypad for the Intellivision and Colecovision and the same d-pad for all systems; that means they all need to be standard and universal contacts all communicating in the same way for compatability

On a (somewhat) related note: I don't know if anyone here has seen this or not, but somebody figured out how the Intellivision controller works and designed a USB adapter for it. Here is the project page, including a key matrix and software for the microcontroller. It looks like you can also buy a pre-programmed microcontroller, in case you want to build your own (see the link at the bottom of the page).

• 2 years later...

This Alpha Omega system will be the mother of all video console systems!

Part 3 of 18 systems, is Intellivision.

Done the Intellivision video and uploaded it onto my website. Normally i'd link the YouTube video here, however on this occasion i'll direct you to my webpage as it has the video, diagrams, and a few links that are relevant and of interest to Intellivision users.

http://moddedbybacte...l-intelivision/

As you see, linked to this forum for people interested, so may generate a few more site hits...

Also linked useful sites for manuals, overlays, etc: - if there are any good ones i've missed, please let me know!

Any chance of making it use the full 16 directions of the disc? There are some specific applications for it.

-dZ.

It can be done, yes, however would need a d-pad a similar size to the Intellivision one. It is hard with 8 to get tacts working, let alone 16 way, as the disc needs to press on one tact without activating the neighbour. That would mean in reality you'd need a d-pad about 2x the size of the one used in my project.

Yes, some games need 16 way, Skiing is one of them, however most of the games play fine, all be it 8 way. 4 way is fine for maze games of course, no issue, 8 way for games like Tron Deadly Discs, etc.

One thing though with the stock Intellivision controller, as we all know who have used one, is they are hit and miss the 16 way the d-pad works; even back in the days the console was brought to market; reason being the controller uses a piece of acetate to separate two layers of conductive printed traces, when pressed, makes the contact; not that accurate.