IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

It does remember video settings, but fullscreen is likely going to remain deprecated in my eyes.

Feature request... It'd be great if it remembered video settings. I have to turn off filtering and resize every time I start up.

Make sure it's updating Classic99.ini when it exits - you may have a permissions problem that prevents it from updating it. You can also manually update the file - the manual documents all the relevant settings:

In the "VIDEO" section:

FilterMode

0 None

1 2xSAI

2 Super 2x

3 Super Ea

4 NTSC TV

5 HQ4x

MaintainAspect

0 Do not maintain aspect ratio (allow any size window)

1 Force aspect ratio (fix proportions of window)

StretchMode

0 Do not stretch (fastest)

1 DIB - use GDI to stretch

2 DX - use Direct-X to stretch

3 DX Full - use a full-screen Direct-X mode (set by fullscreenmode)

topX/topY

value Left (topX) and top (topY) coordinates of the window. -1 for both if not set.

Note: if this position is off screen, the values will be ignored.

ScreenScale

-1 Custom – use ScreenX/ScreenY

1 1X normal TI resolution

2 2X normal TI resolution

3 3X normal TI resolution

4 4X normal TI resolution

ScreenX/ScreenY

Value Size of the window if ScreenScale is set to -1

And, set up joysticks, which I'm having problems with right now...

Under the "joysticks" section:

active

0 Do not map joysticks

1 Map joysticks using joy1mode and joy2mode

joy1mode (and joy2mode for joystick 2)

0 Keyboard (arrow keys and tab)

1 PC Joystick 1

2 PC Joystick 2

Figured it out (sorta - sound is better) but it doesn't work with my simple gamepad - which I have mounted into an arcade type joystick. I have a newer gamepad that does work fine, using the analog stick. Not nearly as accurate for me.

Classic99 uses an older joystick API. I've noticed some drivers slow things right down.

2nd all that.

3rd all that.

Read the manual. ;)

Plus, i am still wishing classic99 had at least some sort of cassette support. (I'm odd like that.)

It's not that odd - I'm interested in it. It's just not that high a priority. There's no software under development that requires cassette support, and Classic99 is a programming tool. Anything else is just for kicks. ;)

Unfortunately I'm too tied up to do much new development. That's why I set up a survey for people to vote where I spend my time. Classic99's updates are down at 5th after 36 replies. ;) https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8CJDR5C

Oh, and the ability for fullscreen to preserve aspect ration of 4:3.

I'm not really thrilled with full screen but I'm a little surprised it doesn't, since it's can only set 4:3 screen modes. I did a quick test here and if I set it with Scaling Mode->DX Full-><choose one>, it's 4:3, but if I hit alt-Enter, it stretches.

I should look at that.

Sorry guys. Between work and other projects Classic99 is slipping a bit. :)

• Like 7

For many of us, emulation is the only practical way to enjoy the Ti-99/4A. I could get into it, but then I'd need to trade & sell some Apple II stuff to make way for it. And I'm not willing to do that. There's only so much physical hardware I'm willing to tend to. So that leaves little choice except for emulation.

Emulation is a great thing though, it provides reliability and convenience far in advance of what the original hardware can do. Some won't agree with that.

I use Classic99 extensively, and it always remembers my video settings... it's definitely the INI file, so you have to make sure your targeted folder grants permissions to write to it.

I honestly can't think of anything Classic99 DOESN'T do... the video recording has no audio, but given that's a library issue and you can use 3rd party tools to record the emulator in action I'm okay with that. :)

Maybe emulation of some of the hard drive or RAMdisk systems that the TI had, but given you'd need to get schematics AND permission in some cases to include it, and the disk system as is works pretty spiffy in terms of speed, it's not a need.

I use Classic99 extensively, and it always remembers my video settings... it's definitely the INI file, so you have to make sure your targeted folder grants permissions to write to it.

I honestly can't think of anything Classic99 DOESN'T do...

I think there is more usage of Classic99 going on than realized/understood. It's always that way with things like this.

I don't think I'd ever emulate the hard disk systems -- I didn't even want to emulate the floppies. But, software development proved that was important to have. The RAMdisk I've thought about a lot since there are things you can do with them besides emulating floppy disks, and I kind of miss MENU (even if I don't really need it anymore). That's low on my list too but it's there.

Classic99 has had a long and at times stormy history. I wrote the first functions in the CPU emulator in a comm center in Ottawa all the way back around '93. That means if it's not already there, it's coming up on 25 years. It doesn't grow and change as fast as some programs do, but it hasn't gone away either. (Some might complain that after 25 years I should be done by now, those comments aren't entirely wrong either ;) ). But it's been fun and I'm still interested in doing a little more. ;)

• Like 7

I think there is more usage of Classic99 going on than realized/understood. It's always that way with things like this.

Classic99 is the ONLY emulator I use. I've tried others, but Classic99 has never given me a single issue. It was a snap to setup and run the first time, it's easy to use and has lots of features. Another thing I find really important... it's ACTIVELY being updated and supported. If something new comes along, the author updates or makes changes in a timely fashion and he's easy to contact right here on AtariAge. With all these positives going for it, for me, it was the no brainer decision. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I know you mentioned there's no software development for cassette on the TI, however, I did release a version of Castle Conquer that used Ext.Basic and cassette (it's a wav for MESS as it is)

I would be willing to redo that game for anything cassette format Classic99 uses, as well as make other new Extended Basic games for Cassette over time.

However, nobody else has so far expressed interest in doing it?

I know you mentioned there's no software development for cassette on the TI, however, I did release a version of Castle Conquer that used Ext.Basic and cassette (it's a wav for MESS as it is)

I would be willing to redo that game for anything cassette format Classic99 uses, as well as make other new Extended Basic games for Cassette over time.

However, nobody else has so far expressed interest in doing it?

Best news in the ti scene i've heard since the playground breakthrough!

I for one am certainly interested!

Edited by ramidavis
  • Like 1

Best news in the ti scene i've heard since the playground breakthrough!

I for one am certainly interested!

I must add, it was only written literally in Extended Basic, there was no attempt to put Compiled code on the WAV version, it was a separate version :)

But still, I would be interested in making more games for cassette. Prison Run came out for cassette and 16K originally, for instance. Also to note, in XB if we type RUN CS1 it will auto-run after loading from tape. That's something I never knew until last year. (by the by!)

Edited by Retrospect

I appreciate that, but my point is that's still just a file in the end. It doesn't have any need for the cassette port, that's just how you are distributing it. CS1er could turn the wave file into a FIAD and then it can be loaded normally. In addition -- the development is done. You don't need Classic99 to debug your cassette procedure. That's what I mean by a development need.

• Like 1

I appreciate that, but my point is that's still just a file in the end. It doesn't have any need for the cassette port, that's just how you are distributing it. CS1er could turn the wave file into a FIAD and then it can be loaded normally. In addition -- the development is done. You don't need Classic99 to debug your cassette procedure. That's what I mean by a development need.

Hi Tursi ... yes, very true it is just a file really. I've been a real devil anchoring after CS1 ... I'm one of "those" guys , ya know ... wants everything in the emulation. I even turn on the heating in the house so as to emulate the warmth of the cartridge runway (kidding)

Yeah Classic99 is just great as it is. :)

• Like 2

I even turn on the heating in the house so as to emulate the warmth of the cartridge runway (kidding)

Oh, see, I run the coils of the central heat across the cartridge runway in order to increase efficiency and boost heat output.

Okay, I kid you not, back in the mid-90s I was a computer lab assistant (free credit, baby!) at the local branch of Troy State University. In the mornings during the winter it was cold as hell in the lab and I would fire up about 15 of the computers built on Cyrix processors. After about 30 minutes the lab was warm enough I could shut down all but about four or five.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

QI393a the DEBUGGER of Scratch pad is messed up for CPU >8300 display.

GPL Character Buffer is >837D but it shows >8375 is the buffer when I press a key? (Clearly this is messed up!)

GPL YPT (ROW) is >837E but never changes ever?

GPL XPT (COLUMN) is >837F but never changes ever?

Edited by RXB

Windows Defender on Windows 10 has suddenly decided that classic99.exe matches a virus signature...

I'm pretty sure it is windows defender's issue. It disagrees with the fresh download from harmlesslion.com also.

-M@

Interesting as their other product does not :D system securitywhatever

Greg

Trojan:Win32/Azden.A!cl

Yep, what PeteE said. Sorry, I should have included that in the earlier post.

Looking briefly on the internet, it looks like they've been having a number of false positives on this one with other apps out there. Of course, that is just what a Trojan would want you to think.

I applied the 'trust' technique to getting around this. Windows defender's restore feature trashes classic99.exe, so once the directory was made exempt, I re-extracted the .exe.

-M@

I see Microsoft has a page about that detection that contains no information whatsoever about it.. but yeah, I also see other apps are getting hit with the warning. Best I can do to assure people is reassure that I do run up to date virus detection, and I run any questions through https://www.virustotal.com/, since that seems to be a fair test. It can also scan URLs, so you can scan before you download.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/054e3950300d979200bfb950b992fcd6b26dc51f8d0f85c0d32c0c2c3427dbb0/detection

I think signed apps are less susceptible to false positives, too, so I should probably start signing my apps.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...