IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

I do not run windows 10, but do they still have compatibility settings, like they did in XP/Vista?

I notice you are running some security app as well. The settings of this security app could be blocking classic99 from starting; perhaps it does not 'trust' the program?

Edited by jrhodes

Only issue I have is Windows 10 changing DOCUMENTS folder to READ ONLY after many updates to Windows 10.

In Classic99 it crashes and can not access own files and folders.

I keep Classic99 and everything with TI in DOCUMENTS folder. (I really hate putting everything in the Root Directory as that is a virus heaven.)

I run in D:\Classic99 - I haven't seen any virus issues there, but viruses always look in Documents and Downloads. I'd be more afraid of running there. But then, that's the problem with modern computers - they are so complex now that nobody really knows them and everything is superstition and rumor. ;)

Opry99er - as for your issue that's kind of baffling. I haven't seen that exit window pop up for well over a decade, but I do notice a few things. (The code is still there, it just doesn't usually come up anymore).

First, you can see that it executed /zero/ instructions before exitting (and indeed the PC is still on the reset vector). This means it didn't even begin emulation.

But what really has my eye are the two Windows permission requests blinking in the taskbar there - maybe Windows or Windows Defender is killing it for permissions reasons? As noted above, Windows 10 does not like applications writing to the Program Files folder, and Classic99 writes to the INI file in it's startup folder.

Looking at the code, it seems like the only path that should lead to what you see is if the CPU thread fails to be created. There's not really any good reason that can fail... it's just a call to _beginthread()

So: try to run it like I do - a folder named "Classic99" off the root of the drive (C:\Classic99). You can move it later if that bugs you.

First: ensure virus protection is up to date and run a scan. If you don't have a virus scanner on this machine, visit https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.htmland use their online scanner (it downloads a small package to scan but does not install anything)

Second: when it starts, access the Windows security requests and see if it's asking you to approve something.

Third: check that any virus protection isn't getting nervous and terminating Classic99

I develop the emulator under Windows 10. There's no need to wonder whether it's compatible. ;)

• Like 3

I run in D:\Classic99 - I haven't seen any virus issues there, but viruses always look in Documents and Downloads. I'd be more afraid of running there. But then, that's the problem with modern computers - they are so complex now that nobody really knows them and everything is superstition and rumor. ;)

Opry99er - as for your issue that's kind of baffling. I haven't seen that exit window pop up for well over a decade, but I do notice a few things. (The code is still there, it just doesn't usually come up anymore).

First, you can see that it executed /zero/ instructions before exitting (and indeed the PC is still on the reset vector). This means it didn't even begin emulation.

But what really has my eye are the two Windows permission requests blinking in the taskbar there - maybe Windows or Windows Defender is killing it for permissions reasons? As noted above, Windows 10 does not like applications writing to the Program Files folder, and Classic99 writes to the INI file in it's startup folder.

Looking at the code, it seems like the only path that should lead to what you see is if the CPU thread fails to be created. There's not really any good reason that can fail... it's just a call to _beginthread()

So: try to run it like I do - a folder named "Classic99" off the root of the drive (C:\Classic99). You can move it later if that bugs you.

First: ensure virus protection is up to date and run a scan. If you don't have a virus scanner on this machine, visit https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.htmland use their online scanner (it downloads a small package to scan but does not install anything)

Second: when it starts, access the Windows security requests and see if it's asking you to approve something.

Third: check that any virus protection isn't getting nervous and terminating Classic99

I develop the emulator under Windows 10. There's no need to wonder whether it's compatible. ;)

I do not have the latest updates to Windows 10, but do use it on a couple of my laptops, and run my emulators out of a folder called Emulators, and have never had an issue like this one.

So, a series of things were happening, and I've got it working now, but not sure how/why.

I made my son an Administrator (ugh), then I had to open all permissions to every account on the computer. This was a huge ordeal involving the RUN program, CMD, a command line prompt, and some clever creation of a new ghost "Hidden" administrator account..... This didn't fix the issue.

I then found an issue with the "Ownership" of the file... somehow we didn't "own" the file (for some reason). I tried re-downloading it, so I could "own" it.... didn't help for some reason.

I then tried a workaround whereby I moved the program folder to another directory and renamed it to something completely different (in this case "Chickentown") and then restarted the computer, booting back up in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, I moved the folder back into the desired directory, changing the name back to Classic99.

Once this was done, i tried to run it. Our antivirus stopped it, letting me know that the program would blow up my house, violate my cats, and piss on my face. I had to manually force the AV to allow Classic99.... then re-start to "accept the changes."

Once back in, I launched Classic99 and the screen blew up to something like 200% magnification. I dug through and found a setting somewhere in the drop down menus that was forcing Classic99 to run at 640x580 pixels or something like that. I unclicked that box, relaunched, and now it works like a charm.

3 hours later, and I hate Windows 10 so freaking much right now.

• Like 6

Prime example of why i am still running a linux OS with windows VM's (one XP 32bit, one windows vista 64bit).

If i can not run it from linux or in my vm's, i have windows installed on my other partition. ... But it is only used when i have no other choice left.post-64087-0-38793100-1544405674.jpg

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Yes, but if you didn't already know Linux, you'd find doing "simple" things just as obtuse as people find on Windows. ;)

I work with both (and MacOS for good measure) for my livelihood. Pre-Windows 10 I'd have preferred Windows hands down. Now I kind of want to go back to the old idea of writing my own OS... ;)

• Like 2

Well here's the solution, folks.

For no real reason, I decided to fire up Classic99 on my Win7 machine and (wouldn't you know it?) the same thing happened.... "You may not have permissions to open this file or device...etc"

I knew this couldn't be a coincidence, so I immediately looked at when our AV was installed. It was 11/30/18...... right around the time I got my new phone line installed for BBS fun.

It's through Frontier..... F-Security something or other. Well, I'm not jacking with it. I uninstalled my AV package and everything fired right up and returned to normal. Now I just need a less invasive AV software. ;)

Very true. I use Norton and when I download Classic99 I get an "reputation violation" message with the rude note that the download has been removed. That is not strictly correct - the download has simply been placed in the "quarantine" folder. With Norton, there is a "more information" tab that allows the user to override the "violation" and run the application anyway. I assume that most other anti-virus protection programs have similar options.

I remember using "Avast! free edition" back in the day, no idea if it still considered good or not.

For right now, i just use avg-free in my VM's.

never was.. it allows many things through. As does avast, mcafee, nortons.. cleaned many machines off with malwarebytes which were running all of the others and full of crap.

I remember using "Avast! free edition" back in the day, no idea if it still considered good or not.

For right now, i just use avg-free in my VM's.

never was.. it allows many things through.

In more dirty news, AVG was purchased by Avast a couple of years ago. Over the past year or so Avast has been working to consolidate its product portfolio which so far has been focused on its "CloudCare" and mobile products. Thus far no change has been made to the AVG Business Edition products (which appears to be why the buy-out happened -- Avast's business product suuuuuucked,) but the consolidation is heading toward the home products. It does look, however, like Avast is dumping its old crappy software and just re-branding AVG. Which is a Good ThingTM. Want more info, PM me to now hijack this thread.

I put mine under the downloads folder, always have rights there..

...and I am sure Micro$oft is already working on that "issue" :D

Except it wasn't actually a Windows 10 issue but a problem with anti-virus.

I was thinking of "the issue" of "Saving my data and installing my programs into the Downloads-folder" :)

• 1 month later...

Sound.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Lately I've been getting a lot of noisy clicks from Classic99 when starting, resetting and closing the program (Classic99). I’m pretty sure it started after a Classic99 Update.

I do a lot of resetting in one session. I could go to the Volume Mixer and turn off the sound, but then sound is a good part of the overall experience. Are there other options?

Sound.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Lately I've been getting a lot of noisy clicks from Classic99 when starting, resetting and closing the program (Classic99). I’m pretty sure it started after a Classic99 Update.

I do a lot of resetting in one session. I could go to the Volume Mixer and turn off the sound, but then sound is a good part of the overall experience. Are there other options?

I've noticed that myself, I get a lot of pops, clicks, and buzzes at start-up, and occasional weirdness. I can work with it just fine, and it replicates the actual TI sounds, so I'm not making a lot of noise about it.

I think Mike has mentioned a time or two that he has to eventually re-write the entire sound platform. Along with a myriad of other tasks. :) Maybe if I ever get my game done I'll help him out...

Classic99 v399.004 seems unable to read from wav files.

I have been using a previous release (the one you introduced CS1 support), and decided to try the newest one.

I convert to wav using files exported from .dsk / .tidsk (win99 simulator) using tidir or copied by hand from the disk directory of classic99.

From there, i run them through CS1er to produce a wav.

I have attahced a wav of the ti-basic game Egipt, which loads fine in the older classic99 but not in v399.004 .

egipt.wav