IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

For the cassette support... I tried it here but it just reports no data found. I don't remember changing anything on the cassette side, but old tapes I tested with are broken too. I'll add it to the list but it's not in the release I'm about to post. ;)

• Like 1

Classicc 399.005

-fix user carts so more than 100 could be loaded

-change cartridge memory from static to allocated

-fix large cartridge types

-minor AMS tweaks

-add ability to disable bitmap layers

-read windows text files without line feeds (like xas99 emits)

-allow headerless files to open as DF128 or IF128

-additional debug for some exotic disk tracking methods

https://github.com/tursilion/classic99/blob/master/readme.md

HarmlessLion is not yet updated.

• Like 6

I already rewrote the sound system, several years ago. First I've heard about clicks and buzzes - can you get me a recording?

I can try, I honestly attribute it more to Windows drivers than Classic99. Sometimes Classic99 takes a moment to start up, and you can visibly hear the "pop" when the sound abruptly comes on. I'll see if I can get a more consistent repro.

I can try, I honestly attribute it more to Windows drivers than Classic99. Sometimes Classic99 takes a moment to start up, and you can visibly hear the "pop" when the sound abruptly comes on. I'll see if I can get a more consistent repro.

Oh, well, that's normal. I wouldn't expect it on a reset though. I shifted the audio emulation some time ago (like, a decade) to offset the voltage. If it's bugging people, though, I can ramp into it instead of snapping to it, or try going back to zero-centered (I can't remember anymore why I changed it.. noise I think).

I already rewrote the sound system, several years ago. First I've heard about clicks and buzzes - can you get me a recording?

Well, I'm not having that problem with anything else. And it started with Classic99 some moons ago. I thought it to be part of "moving closer to the real thing". Honestly a bit annoying. If at least "resetting" didn't do it. As with MAME, you could make noises for the discs, and perhaps also for keys and joystick. Nice touch. Good fun, but I'd probably turn it off.

:)

It's definitely not intentional, and it's definitely the audio ramping from 0 up to the 9919 midpoint. Nobody ever mentioned it bothering them! I'll take a peek at it next time I have a few minutes to spare... I should at least be able to add ramps to prevent the click, if for some reason centering back on zero doesn't work.

And yeah, like I said in that thread, I don't intend to create hardware noises. How do I know what kind of floppy drive you have attached? ;) Classic99 is for development, not nostalgia.

• Like 3

It's definitely not intentional, and it's definitely the audio ramping from 0 up to the 9919 midpoint. Nobody ever mentioned it bothering them! I'll take a peek at it next time I have a few minutes to spare... I should at least be able to add ramps to prevent the click, if for some reason centering back on zero doesn't work.

And yeah, like I said in that thread, I don't intend to create hardware noises. How do I know what kind of floppy drive you have attached? ;) Classic99 is for development, not nostalgia.

Excellent. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Oh, darn! I was hoping you'd emulate randomly faulty chips forcing the user to download a new classic99 :P

Download multiple copies and swap files between them until you have a single working install. Edited by JB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be able to determine which input control had focus when enter was pressed, and do the breakpoint or edit actions based on that? (I've been wanting this feature for some time too, been using "tab,space" to hit the add button. Didn't know about Alt-A)

• Like 1

Would you be able to determine which input control had focus when enter was pressed, and do the breakpoint or edit actions based on that? (I've been wanting this feature for some time too, been using "tab,space" to hit the add button. Didn't know about Alt-A)

hmm.. that might be a nice workaround!

It bugs me too. But most of the debug GUI annoyances I've been putting aside until I can split it up.

• 2 weeks later...

How and what file did you run from FW?

I found a few problems with the code. The first is the loader trying to load beyond the VDP memory limits. The second and more difficult to track down is a DSR pointer (0x8356) which is being set wrong either by the loader or a device. In fact, the second program has a kludge to fix the filename, which may be the reason Myarc cards failed, and the reason the filenames have a duplicated first character.

Regardless, I am now able to successfully load the program in Classic99 and on the Geneve (with a Myarc card!) with no problems. I'm still not sure where the value is set wrong, though so far it -appears- to be a problem with the Millers Graphics DSRLNK/GPLLNK or the 4A ROM code. The mystery will have to wait until I have another chance to dig further...

Thanks to Tursi for verifying some Classic99 information and for running through the code following some initial conjecture.

Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

But can you PLEASE upload the fixed image of Adventures in Dinosaurland, which works in classic99.

Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok total frustration with Classic99 today!

Wanted to see what was going in VALUE STACK >83A0 so figures even if Classic99 DEBUGGER would not show these I could just use a CALL PEEK and CALL LOAD to save them at >B000

But to my frustration Classic99 does not allow a CALL PEEK of >83A0.....WTF WHY?

What I get is ZERO each PEEK?????

When this this going to be fixed?

It's not clear to me what the problem is, Rich..

You can definitely see >83A0 in the debugger window, in fact by default the CPU view will show all of scratchpad (and if not, just enter "8300" in the edit box and click apply).

post-12959-0-50806800-1554402972_thumb.png

As for CALL PEEK... you got me! Classic99 just emulates the CPU, it doesn't know what the program is trying to accomplish. I'll need more details there.

It's not clear to me what the problem is, Rich..

You can definitely see >83A0 in the debugger window, in fact by default the CPU view will show all of scratchpad (and if not, just enter "8300" in the edit box and click apply).

attachicon.gifscratchpad.png

As for CALL PEEK... you got me! Classic99 just emulates the CPU, it doesn't know what the program is trying to accomplish. I'll need more details there.

OK here is what I did, I loaded Assembly support program called STAR in DSK1 and loaded MULTI with OLD DSK1.MULTI

As the Classic99 Debugger will not show anything in these registers I tried to peek >83A0 and same them at >B000

EXCEPT IT WILL NOT READ >83A0 EVER!!!!!

Here is the modified program MULTI that I used:

100 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(2) :: CALL LINK("LOW") :: CALL LINK("LGCAPS") :: CALL LINK("VDPREG",1,232)
110 FOR A=34 TO 123 :: CALL VCHAR(1,1,A,768) :: NEXT A :: Z=-20480
120 CALL LINK("SMCAPS") :: CALL LINK("STDLOW") :: FOR A=34 TO 123 :: CALL LINK("ALL",A) :: CALL PEEK(-31840,M,N) :: CALL LOAD(Z,M,N) :: Z=Z+2
125 FOR B=1 TO 200 :: NEXT B :: NEXT A
130 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN( :: CALL LINK("VDPREG",1,224)

Thus it is IMPOSSIBLE in Classic99 to ever know what is going on in XB. This is a huge bug not in a normal TI99/4A.

DSK1.zip