IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

Update:  It seems to be working fine again on the laptop.  It has only happened three times on the laptop and twice on the desktop since the update release.  Weird -- it could be a timing related issue to my Realtek HD sound drivers (same version in both systems).

Edited by Torrax

4 hours ago, Torrax said:

I haven't tried it out on my i9-7960 (Win10) Mini-WS rig yet.  Will check it out this weekend.

A i9-7960!  Dude, that is one spendy chip!  My gosh 16 cores, 32 threads up to 4.2GHz and a 22 MB cache.

By comparison I'm in the slow lane only running an i7-8700 with 6 cores, 12 threads at 3.2Ghz and only a 12mb cache.

5 hours ago, Torrax said:

Anyone noticing any slight static or noise added to the sound output of this latest release??

Both my laptop and desktop systems (Win7) are exhibiting this behavior.

I haven't tried it out on my i9-7960 (Win10) Mini-WS rig yet.  Will check it out this weekend.

Timing issues can cause static. You can try changing the audio playback rate (there are only 3 options, try them all). if the emulator is pushing the CPU, try increasing it's priority (if you are used to doing such things), that has helped me in the past on some machines.

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

A i9-7960!  Dude, that is one spendy chip!  My gosh 16 cores, 32 threads up to 4.2GHz and a 22 MB cache.

By comparison I'm in the slow lane only running an i7-8700 with 6 cores, 12 threads at 3.2Ghz and only a 12mb cache.

Slow lane, he says, with a clock 50% faster than mine. ;)

But, I'm running a lot of Xeon cores, so that helps. Dual Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.6Ghz, total 16 cores/32 threads and 20MB cache each chip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 3:20 AM, Tursi said:

As Adamantyr noted, I have seen it as well. In fact I'm on video seeing it, so I can't deny, hehe. ;) 

It seems like something is slipping in the cycle counting and the emulator thinks the CPU is way ahead. I don't have a fix yet.

Tursi, I don't know if this helps or is even relevant, but I was using an old version for along time as you know and it never locked up on me.

Only the versions after you made the 9901/cassette fix started doing it. (from my perspective)

One more piece for your puzzle maybe.

Version 399.013

Some wishlist features in this one...

- disable alt+f4 to close the window
- move app and game ROMs into a separate DLL
- add Scott Adam's Adventure and games
- Disable menu and title bar in full screen mode
- add Application mode (see manual)

https://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Firefly said:

Hi Tursi just a quick bug report ... menus for cartridge apps and games doesn't work properly, just shows a tiny box next to the cursor.

Yes, I see this too in 32bit WIN7. The file 'VCRUNTIME140.DLL' is not in 32bit win7.

It works fine in 64bit WIN7 as the file is there.

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Fritz442 said:

Yes, I see this too in 32bit WIN7. The file 'VCRUNTIME140.DLL' is not in 32bit win7.

It works fine in 64bit WIN7 as the file is there.

It's part of MS Visual C++ 2015 runtime library, I had to remove 2017 and reinstall

the 'Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019_VC_redist.x86.exe' runtime files. It work great. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, Fritz442 said:

It's part of MS Visual C++ 2015 runtime library, I had to remove 2017 and reinstall

the 'Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019_VC_redist.x86.exe' runtime files. It work great. :thumbsup:

You should not need to remove previous runtimes, they are capable of installing side by side without issues.

Though.. I'm not sure why you needed the 2015 runtime. I build with 2017. I'll look at that.

Cartridge Apps and Games are now in a separate DLL to support the application mode.. so if that DLL can't load, yeah, you won't see them. ;)

Okay.. the build options were pulling in a few dependencies.. which is silly cause there's almost no code in the cartpack.dll. I was able to fix it up and have reuploaded the zip file. Classic99.exe did not change so I didn't rev the version number. If it works for you, no update needed. If it doesn't work, try downloading again. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tursi said:

You should not need to remove previous runtimes, they are capable of installing side by side without issues.

Though.. I'm not sure why you needed the 2015 runtime. I build with 2017. I'll look at that.

Cartridge Apps and Games are now in a separate DLL to support the application mode.. so if that DLL can't load, yeah, you won't see them. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure why I needed to remove 2017 either. On my machine I had VC 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 & 2017.

When I went to install 'Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019_VC_redist.x86.exe' It said I needed to remove a newer version first?

So I removed it and reinstalled and it works fine. ;-)

AND: Thank you for adding Adventure to Classic99, I always seem to be playing ADV & TOD!!!

Edited by Fritz442

• 2 weeks later...

I am scratching my head about something.  I see this problem on Classic99 DSK3, but I don't have 3 disk drives on my real iron to confirm it's my problem.

Background:

When I have a program to load/compile, many times it has "nested" INCLUDE statements in the file to pull in some library code.

The library files all live on DSK1.

If the program I load is on DSK1 or DSK2.  all the INCLUDE statements inside the initial file reach out to DSK1, compile themselves and then the system continues on inside the initial file happily compiling away until it reaches the end.  This can even nest one level deeper because the system has 3 files available.

That's the correct behaviour.

Problem.

IF however the initial program is on DSK3. and it contains INCLUDE DSK1.FILE123,  The system tries to read DSK3.FILE123, which doesn't exist.

My DSR program is nothing special and it works fine with DSK1 and DSK2.

The classic 99 log has a strange statement in it that may be the problem ?

DSR opcode >0 (OPEN) on PAB >36B7, filename DSK3.SAMSDEMO                                                              
Releasing file buffer 36                                                                                               
Recycling unclosed file buffer 36                                                                                      
Opening DSK3.SAMSDEMO on drive type FIAD                                                                               
PAB requested file type is DV80                                                                                        
Allocating file buffer 0                                                                                               
Detected .\DSK3\SAMSDEMO as a TIFILES file                                                                             
.\DSK3\SAMSDEMO read 41 records                                                                                        
Restore set record number to 0  

( ##COMPILING THE INITIAL FILE HERE...)                                                                                       
DSR opcode >9 (STATUS) on PAB >36B7, filename DSK3.SAMSDEMO                                                            
Status returns >04 on DSK3.SAMSDEMO on drive type FIAD                                                                 
DSR opcode >2 (READ) on PAB >36B7, filename DSK3.SAMSDEMO                                                              
Read 0x2A bytes drive 3 file SAMSDEMO (Variable record 0) to >36D2                                                     
Read 0x1 bytes drive 3 file SAMSDEMO (Variable record 1) to >36D2                                                      
Read 0x1C bytes drive 3 file SAMSDEMO (Variable record 2) to >36D2 

--> Replacing binary string DSK1 with DSK3     ( WHY WAS DSK1, REPLACED WITH DSK3.??)

DSR opcode >0 (OPEN) on PAB >358B, filename DSK3.TOOLS                                                                 
Opening DSK3.TOOLS on drive type FIAD                                                                                  
PAB requested file type is DV80                                                                                        
Allocating file buffer 1                                                                                               
Can't open .\DSK3\TOOLS for input, errno 2.                                                                            
Releasing file buffer 37                                                                                               
Setting file error 7 on file buffer 474                                                                                

18 hours ago, TheBF said:

--> Replacing binary string DSK1 with DSK3     ( WHY WAS DSK1, REPLACED WITH DSK3.??)

Because you told it to. Look at your disk configuration for DSK3 - you have AutoMap DSK1 enabled. This option lets you run software that expects to run on DSK1 from other disks, by dynamically searching for and replacing such strings in the binary as it loads.

image.png.5129435d333b13680334a27db21d1fa4.png

I never considered the case you're in, but yeah, it's clearly not a good option to turn on if you are intentionally using all your drives. ;) Turn it off.

(As an addendum, that's exactly why the debug log spells out all the things it does on purpose ;) )

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tursi said:

Classic99 v399.014

-add AMS to debug memory viewer
-fix bank order of TI BASIC memory dump carts
-update fbForth

https://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

What does the AMS button do?

I ran RXB AMSTEST and it ran checking pages and did nothing?

I do not get what it is showing?