IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

Well Classic 99 is part of the AIO I occasionally talk about here. The AIO being an All-in-One machine I tried to build as a kid. At first it was to look like a TRS-80 Model III, and then a revised version was to look like the proverbial James Bond secret agent gadget suitcase. Neither got very far, one caught fire.

Today it's as simple as setting up a pack of emulators on the appropriate hardware like a NUC or laptop or SFF PC. Classic 99 is an important part of it, being a respectable stand-alone emulator.

• Like 2

I stumbled upon Classic99 many years ago when I was surfing the web..(surfing the web was a saying back then) and because of that I found a new love and appreciation for the computer and thanks to you it is still going strong. Thank You Tursi for all that you do for us.  I am thankful.  You rock.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, RXB said:

Hmmm problem no matter what Binary Cart I load using CARTRIDGE > USER > OPEN > (any cartridge) 

On the second screen with the menu is all messed up colors?

Menu still works but it looks like a mess?

There was a fix for that (Version 038a)

And nowadays we have to say "It looks like a mame"  :grin:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RXB said:

Hmmm problem no matter what Binary Cart I load using CARTRIDGE > USER > OPEN > (any cartridge) 

On the second screen with the menu is all messed up colors?

Menu still works but it looks like a mess?

But yes, totally my fault. Re-download.

I didn't think actually had actually downloaded the broken version ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Yeah i came across that bug too with the messy screen. The funny thing was, it actually only happened when the cartridge was freshly inserted. If you reset the TI and then came back into the menu screen, it was normal.  

Yeah.. the new code that checked which bank had the cartridge header was modifying the ROM to write a header byte even if it didn't belong. XB and RXB have their header in GROM, not ROM, so parsing the data as if it was a header caused the garbled menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is a ANDROID APP for Windows I used for a WiFI Honeywell Thermostat but I hated using it as Android on Windows 10 sucks!

It is like trying to run PC99 on a Mac using Wine, pretty much so much interpolations as to drive you insane and buggy to boot.

I know, but I know of WINE and stuff like that. Also I have a TI game on my Android pad. But I understand that this is not done... yet [emoji14] hehehe
Wine only works with the same processor so for instance Linux running on an Intel processor can run wine to run Windows intel applications. Wine is an API layer not a magic processor translation.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, oddemann said:

Have anyone been able to run C99 on Android? Or is it possible?

Basically, not possible.

Get Windows running on Android first, and then you have somewhere to start.

Classic99v4 will go back to using Allegro for as long as I can stand, which means large parts of it will be potentially compliable for Android, Linux, iPhone and OSX, however, I myself have no interest in doing those ports (I will assist and merge in successful ports, if I like the result, though). You can expect some features to not be available in those ports, IF someone chooses to do them, but I'll strive to make the core emulation portable.

I looked at a LOT of technologies for updating Classic99. But they all kind of forget the "fun" part of this, forcing me to learn bizarre new systems, to set up the build environment in ways that I hate, and to make platform-specific concessions to all the usability components that actually make Classic99 BE Classic99. The closest I came to a major overhaul was .NET 5.0, which is still really tempting, but I decided it's not for Classic99, as I don't want to rewrite literally everything. Allegro is a concession that I kept only because it's already mostly coded, but I don't like things like its DLL dependencies (need to try and make a static build). On the other hand, Classic99 uses DLLs already, so it's probably not a huge deal.

Porting to another platform, at least as I envision it right now, would mean making decisions about what to do with the Windows specific stuff, like the debugger (which might not be TOO Windows-specific, still deciding), the menus, the cartpack DLL, and the other plugins, and either replacing them or simply not providing those features. 

I don't really see why though. If it's just for emulation, JS99er or MAME do just fine - Classic99 doesn't offer anything on top of them and certainly won't when it's first updated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tursi said:

If it's just for emulation, JS99er or MAME do just fine - Classic99 doesn't offer anything on top of them and certainly won't when it's first updated.

If you mean just for playing software on it, then yes the others do a great job.   I find I can't use the Wilhelm compiler on either JS99er and I haven't and won't even attempt it on Mame.  This wouldn't be an issue, but I literally don't make normal basic software anymore :)

30 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

If you mean just for playing software on it, then yes the others do a great job.   I find I can't use the Wilhelm compiler on either JS99er and I haven't and won't even attempt it on Mame.  This wouldn't be an issue, but I literally don't make normal basic software anymore :)

Well, although it is doing some impressive trickery behind the scenes, I'm sure Rasmus would be curious why it doesn't work on JS99er. The trickery is all happening on the TI side so emulation /should/ be able to manage it... it's probably something small.

God knows I've invested thousands of hours debugging other people's software, I just want to share the wealth. ;)

• Like 4

Honestly, if the only improvement to the new classic99 was better speech synth playback, i'd be perfectly happy.

Admit it Tursi, the speech in classic99 stinks and you know it ;-).

Nothing against mame, but its just overkill for what i need/want.

JS99'er is good, but i hate web apps of any kind to honest. I'm just to old school for my own good i guess. (Not to mention it runs choppy on my android phone, so i can't use it on the go. And if i'm in front of my pc, i may as well fire up classic99.)

Win994a is/was pretty good, but since classic99 supports wav file tape playback, i don't use it hardly at all anymore. It IS still better at playing back speech then classic99 though without firing up mame / js99'er.

Totally up to you, but i don't see why you keep the ti99 v2.2 emulation around? Does anyone really even use this part of classic99?

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

Honestly, if the only improvement to the new classic99 was better speech synth playback, i'd be perfectly happy.

Admit it Tursi, the speech in classic99 stinks and you know it ;-).

Nothing against mame, but its just overkill for what i need/want.

JS99'er is good, but i hate web apps of any kind to honest. I'm just to old school for my own good i guess. (Not to mention it runs choppy on my android phone, so i can't use it on the go. And if i'm in front of my pc, i may as well fire up classic99.)

Win994a is/was pretty good, but since classic99 supports wav file tape playback, i don't use it hardly at all anymore. It IS still better at playing back speech then classic99 though without firing up mame / js99'er.

Totally up to you, but i don't see why you keep the ti99 v2.2 emulation around? Does anyone really even use this part of classic99?

You're welcome to use another emulator. ;) Speech has /never/ been a priority for me as I have no intention of writing any software that uses the speech synth. I went to upgrade the speech core a few years ago, but the MAME core that I make the DLL from is much harder to wrap than the old one that Raphael gave me, tied much more tightly to MAME's internals. ;)

The TI99 v2.2 emulation amounts to about 10 lines of code and doesn't require any maintenance, why remove it? It's just a different ROM, same hardware, same keyboard, nothing changes. ;)

• Like 8

Thx, for info... I understand that it is a huge task to convert it to Android. I am more than happy with your Classic 99 as is. Furthermore, I am glad that you keep updating and making Classic 99 to what it is.

Also... I am glad that you take the time to do the updates. It is not something I WANT you to do, but immensely happy that you do. If you don't make an update for half a year, I am happy that you at all care and do updates, when ever. So I will never demand you to do anything. I can only guess how much time you have invested in Classic 99, but I am sure it is many hours. I see how my question can be demanding or pushing for something more than you want to do. But please, I am perfectly happy as is!

Just my bad way of trying to tell you that I am impressed with Classic 99 and all the time you have invested it.

Thank you very much for Classic 99 and that you still update it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I find I can't use the Wilhelm compiler on either JS99er and I haven't and won't even attempt it on Mame.

5 hours ago, Tursi said:

Well, although it is doing some impressive trickery behind the scenes, I'm sure Rasmus would be curious why it doesn't work on JS99er. The trickery is all happening on the TI side so emulation /should/ be able to manage it... it's probably something small.

Yes I am. I think it was working at one point.

• Like 1

I tend to use all the emulators.  I develop mainly on Classic99 but I do deviate to JS99er if I'm making cassette software, or playing on a device such as a chromebook (it ran SO good on my old chromebook).  Mame is great for playing games with speech as is JS99er.  I understand speech isn't a priority for Classic99, that's no biggie.  The speech is acceptable in Classic99 anyhow, it just sounds like Lon Chaney Jr when he got older.  

I could try again at some point with the compiler in JS99er but i guess i do what i am used to doing, i'm set in my ways. :)

• Like 1