IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

19 hours ago, Shift838 said:

using the telnet on my Surface Pro works fine, but on my Windows 10 x64 machine it just resets back to title screen for any TIPI call I issue.

I have even loaded another copy of the latest version of Classic99 into a different directory.  But get the same result.

That's what TIPI does when it can't load the program you asked for. Did you read the debug log?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xahmol said:

Is it correct that Classic99 does not support TIPI directories yet?

I am starting to get file operations from C from my programs working using the files.h lib from Libti99. Works fine on real hardware and a real TIPI so far, use TIPI.GAMES.LUDO as path before the filename (so not to clutter the TIPI root dir).

However, in Classic99 (vQI399.039), it seems the . seperator for dir change is ignored, it saves a file GAMES.LUDO.LUDOTST when I use the TIPI.GAMES.LUDO.LUDOTST path to save, instead of saving LUDOTST in the GAMES/LUDO directory of the dir I mapped to DSK0.

Also, if I just save to root (with LUDO.LUDOTST) the file saves perfectly OK, but on file open I get a file error DSR_ERR_ILLEGALOPCODE    (0x60) (while this works perfectly on the real hardware).

Are those known issues of the 'rudementory and unsupported' TIPI simulation in Classic99? Or I am doing something wrong? Being able to test including TIPI in Classic99 would be very handy.

(and yes, you stated unsupported, so feel free to ignore my question ;-) )

Classic99 does not support TIPI yet. There is code in there. It does stuff. I have minimal confidence in that code.

Classic99's filesystem handles directories using the PC nomenclature, which is incorrect and always has been, but TIPI is the first device to implement as per the file system recommendations that I myself published and didn't implement. ;)

So, you can sort of fudge it to work using the PC filesystem mechanism, and use the debug log to see where it's falling down, but that's all going to change before it's a formal feature. I won't feel bad if you rely on the existing behaviour and then I change it on you. ;)

• Like 2

Best avenue I think can be used is

1. MAKE A NETWORK DRIVE ON PC TO TIPI DIRECTORY

2. MAKE A DRIVE THAT WILL BE A DUPLICATE OF TIPI DIRECTORY IN CLASSIC99 (I USE DSK0.)

3. OPEN TI DIR TO THAT NETWORK DRIVE AND DSK0 YOU SET UP ON CLASSIC99

4. WHAT EVER YOU DO TO TIPI MOVE TO DSK0. IS DUPLICTED

5. ALTERNATE IS JUST MAKE DSK0. THE NETWORK DRIVE TO TIPI

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xahmol said:

Thanks and no problem. Just wanted to be sure it was not I that was doing wrong and that I also should not expect it to work.

So far as file systems go, the TIPI simulation is never going to support more than the existing file system emulation does, so you can just use subdirectories directly on your DSK0 through DSK9 folders. Again, the current nomenclature, which is broken and will change, is to use PC separators for subdirectories.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tursi said:

So far as file systems go, the TIPI simulation is never going to support more than the existing file system emulation does, so you can just use subdirectories directly on your DSK0 through DSK9 folders. Again, the current nomenclature, which is broken and will change, is to use PC separators for subdirectories.

Figured so. But that of course will mean having different code for Classic99 and real hardware.

For now just place everything in root without dir. And did already map DSK0 and that is working surprisingly well for 'does not support TIPI' ;-)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Yes it does. 5 minutes after I posted 40, it didn't do everything it needed to, so I posted 41, but I didn't want to run around updating everything again. ;)

I must have hit the window just right then. My downloaded copy shows 399.040 ?.

I have since downloaded classic99 again today, so i now have 399.040 and 399.041 in my file collection.

• Like 2

I added text that to the very first version of the manual to see how long it would take for someone to notice, because I was grumpy about writing a manual I felt nobody would read. ;)

So that was added on 12 March, 2010, it took 11 years and 21 days! :lol:

Unfortunately I think the conversation about the manual and the request for excitement may have been at Yahoo groups, I can't seem to find it here. Even this thread didn't start until July 2010...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think most people read manuals for reference/problem solving.

We ALL think we are smart and can wing it!  (ALL being me!)

Then when it doesn't work or we want to know something specific we reference the manual for that particular thing.

We (I) would be better severed to routinely read the manual before starting... But I am a lazy American! LOL.  Or it could be I am just excited to use "it"?

I do lots of software updates and add-ons in my job.  I do read way to many manuals.  I am now at the point were I use the manual in testing and write my own for production roll out.

I routinely install multiple times in test before going to production.

So, when I am "playing" I really don't want to make it "work"

When software is done well, you do not need a manual.  For Install or use.

I think that is a tribute to you!  That your users do not need to reference the manual all the time.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, Tursi said:

I added text that to the very first version of the manual to see how long it would take for someone to notice, because I was grumpy about writing a manual I felt nobody would read. ;)

So that was added on 12 March, 2010, it took 11 years and 21 days! :lol:

Unfortunately I think the conversation about the manual and the request for excitement may have been at Yahoo groups, I can't seem to find it here. Even this thread didn't start until July 2010...

I have certainly read the manual—even referring folks to it several times in this forum. I have also scanned it (as in quick reading) and read parts in detail many times over the years. I do not recall ever noticing that line as anything more than just a line at the end of text on a page—much as the line separating footnotes from normal text. I am very good at noticing details, but those details usually tie to the context—something that line does not. But, there it is. The foregoing protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, I simply missed it. :ponder:

...lee

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Other than a CALL LOAD in XB to disable the 32k RAM, is there perhaps a hidden option in Classic99 to do it?

Also, the copyright in "About" has 2017 as the latest year.

No, but I've made cartridges in the INI file to run specific system configurations like that. I just loaded dummy files overtop of the 32k memory space, which makes it ROM (in fact, this is my Mini-Memory no 32k layout):

[usercart1]
name=MiniMemory No 32k
rom0=O|0000|0008|Mini-memory=0(Apps),8(Index)
; replace RAM space with ROMs so there's no 32k
; should normally be 0 bytes, but we'll just use
; the exe for now since we know it's there.
; Obviously you shouldn't use it for data ;)
; This will produce some length warnings
rom1=C|2000|2000|classic99.exe
rom2=C|A000|2000|classic99.exe
rom3=C|C000|2000|classic99.exe
rom4=C|E000|2000|classic99.exe

As for the Copyright, I don't need to update that till 120 years after I die. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is the method for doing so with XB in the manual, or would it be similar (I assume you are effectively calling the internal module name?)

2 hours ago, Tursi said:

As for the Copyright, I don't need to update that till 120 years after I die. ;)

I assume a scheduled task (cron job) with a dead-man switch is in place.

• Like 2