IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

Classic99 399.050

Yes, I skipped telling you about 049 - the only change of import there was I added a config option to the INI that lets you disable the Escape key.

In 050, though:

- rewrote SpeechDLL using the latest code from MAME - now emulates the correct speech chip.
- fixed bug with speech cpu halt that was causing crashes - was broken in 399.037
- reworked the audio buffering as well for speech, now uses the main audio jitter buffer. This may add some latency but fixes the froggy sound
- updated cartpack.dll just to remove the TE2 speech warning

Yes, this means for the first time in Classic99's nearly 30 year history I consider the speech synthesizer functional. I still don't like it very much though. ;)

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Good work on the speech Tursi. ?

I still prefer to play on real hardware, but its nice to see Parsec via Classic99 finally get clear speech working.

I made the mistake of trying Alpiner in Classic99 too, and now i remember why i hardly play that game anymore.

Thanks for letting Classic99 verbally insult my inferior climbing skills. ;-)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tursi said:

Works here, I use it a lot. It won't update if the CPU is halted though... are you debugging and trying to watch it at the same time maybe?

Nope. Running BASIC and have the heat map open.

9 hours ago, Tursi said:

Yes, this means for the first time in Classic99's nearly 30 year history I consider the speech synthesizer functional.

WOOT!

1470111120_carltondancing.gif.38fad2e3cf2fc29c05e9b819324b5f91.gif

• Like 1

Yes it's been decades since I last heard Parsec sound just right. This is a directly noticeable example of one project benefiting another.

On a partially related note. In Parsec.. Is it possible to move forward AND up or down simultaneously? Because at least on my setup I can't. It's either forward/backward or up/down. No diagonal movement at all.

28 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Yes it's been decades since I last heard Parsec sound just right. This is a directly noticeable example of one project benefiting another.

On a partially related note. In Parsec.. Is it possible to move forward AND up or down simultaneously? Because at least on my setup I can't. It's either forward/backward or up/down. No diagonal movement at all.

Joystick is only way to move that way as far as I know.

53 minutes ago, RXB said:

Joystick is only way to move that way as far as I know.

I tried my old Logitech and Gravis gamepads and still cannot get a diagonal movement in Classic99.

So maybe there's a bug that needs fixing. Unless there's an issue with my rig or Classic99's configuration?

41 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I tried my old Logitech and Gravis gamepads and still cannot get a diagonal movement in Classic99.

So maybe there's a bug that needs fixing. Unless there's an issue with my rig or Classic99's configuration?

I set in the options, joystick 1 to PC joystick 1. (default was keyboard) 

then in Parsec... yes, seems impossible to reverse and go up at the same time...

But in TI BASIC:

10 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y)
20 PRINT X,Y
30 GOTO 10

This will show values of diagonals as X and Y being non-zero at the same time. Which seems to work. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yes, though the old speech code was MAME's too! I never had enough interest in the hardware to do it myself.

Means Michael Zapf finally has a credit in Classic99. ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Clipboard01.png.09698ab3a249a242903eea4b79840098.png

huh... looks like it's not painting at all.

Can you try renaming classic99.ini and trying again? (Then you can put it back ;) ) I'm wondering if one of the timing parameters got messed up.

There's not much else going on there - I've tried it on most versions of Windows, but what version is it failing on?

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Yes. That works. Both keyboard and gamepad. In TI BASIC on Classic99. So my host rig is ok.

But not in Parsec on Classic99. How about on a real machine? Does Parsec work "correctly" on a real machine?

Tested on hardware... both keyboard and joystick only allow for four directions of motion. Joystick zeros all inputs on diagonals, and keyboard just remembers the last key.

However, if you move left or right first, then switch to up or down, it will remember the delta-x and keep doing that acceleration while you move up and down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Your computer hates you.

Not surprising.  Technology and I have not been getting along well for the past couple a few months.

I have no idea. I'll test on another Win7 machine.

I forgot I have another machine I can test on, as well.  Going to walk over there to do that in a few minutes.

EDIT: not working there, either, neither from the shared location on the network nor a local fresh extraction.

• Like 3

Tested on hardware... both keyboard and joystick only allow for four directions of motion. Joystick zeros all inputs on diagonals, and keyboard just remembers the last key.

Alright. So then Classic99's behavior is still slightly different here. I didn't realize (or remember) that real hardware had no diagonal capability.

However, if you move left or right first, then switch to up or down, it will remember the delta-x and keep doing that acceleration while you move up and down.

That works. It's so unnatural though. Maybe it's time someone patch Parsec itself. Somehow. Even if it's possible to get real hardware to read diagonals. IDK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Even if it's possible to get real hardware to read diagonals.

Real hardware can read diagonals on the joystick.  It is absolutely possible for, say, a CALL JOYST(1,X,Y) to return non-zero values simultaneously.

9 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Alright. So then Classic99's behavior is still slightly different here. I didn't realize (or remember) that real hardware had no diagonal capability.

How so? I was able to do all the same motions in Classic99...

The hardware has all the capability. Parsec doesn't ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tursi said:

How so? I was able to do all the same motions in Classic99...

32 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Here you imply diagonals can't be read.

But I was able to get all 8 directions in the BASIC example listed in post 2088, in Classic 99, with both keyboard or gamepad/stick.

This article implies that real hardware can read the diagonals as well:

https://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/joystick.htm

Edited by Keatah