IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

Yes of course. Ok.

Diagonals work in things like A-Maze-Ing and the Diagnostics cart. Both with keyboard and usb gamepad. So the emulation is ok. And PARSEC is the issue.

Sorry about the dust-up. It's been decades since I even seen a real Ti-99/4A. Additionally I remember when emulators barely got their target CPU going, with no sound and no controller inputs/simulation. It was so common to instantly have to test on real hardware and doubt the emu. In the mid-1990's..

So here it seems Parsec is at fault. I guess BITD we thought nothing of it..

Carry on!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tursi said:

Yes, though the old speech code was MAME's too! I never had enough interest in the hardware to do it myself.

Means Michael Zapf finally has a credit in Classic99. ;)

Not without a bit of pride. ;-) But keep in mind, I only had a minor part in the speech synthesis emulation.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Keatah said:

Sorry about the dust-up. It's been decades since I even seen a real Ti-99/4A. Additionally I remember when emulators barely got their target CPU going, with no sound and no controller inputs/simulation. It was so common to instantly have to test on real hardware and doubt the emu. In the mid-1990's..

So here it seems Parsec is at fault. I guess BITD we thought nothing of it..

No worries. I test against real hardware any time I have a question - there is a LOT in Classic99 that came from study of the real machine, and I will note that Classic99 got at least one or two things right before the others did (big wink, come on, with the number of releases it's just the law of averages.) ;) If you ever browse the source, you'll see "verified on hardware" in a few places - those are all tests that I personally did. There are also large blocks of text in places where theory or public documentation came into question.

• Like 5

BTW, since the speech sounds so good, I was talking with Leo Laport on his show about Windows 11 accessibility, and I told him I had a blast from the past to tell him about.  I let him hear Classic99 say "you're listening to Leo Laport, the tech guy" using the TE2 text-to-speech.  Didn't get a chance to say as much as I wanted, though.  He called the sound on the TI primitive, which, compared with today's tech, is true, but, the TI had better sound than many other microcomputers of its day.  Try getting an Apple II or IBM PC to do what the TI could do.  But, I did mention the Web site where I got the emulator.BTW, with the last update, I was speaking with Leo Laport, on his show, and I gave him a quick sample of the TE2 text-to-speech as produced by Classic99.  Didn't get a good chance to say much, but, I mentioned where I got the emulator from.  He called the sound on the TI primitive, which, compared with today's tech, is true, but, I wish I had thought to say that the sound on the TI was, for its time, better than sound that came with many microcomputers at the time.  Try getting an Apple II or IBM PC to do what the TI could do, out of the box.

I

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jenorton said:

BTW, since the speech sounds so good, I was talking with Leo Laport on his show about Windows 11 accessibility, and I told him I had a blast from the past to tell him about.  I let him hear Classic99 say "you're listening to Leo Laport, the tech guy" using the TE2 text-to-speech.  Didn't get a chance to say as much as I wanted, though.  He called the sound on the TI primitive, which, compared with today's tech, is true, but, the TI had better sound than many other microcomputers of its day.  Try getting an Apple II or IBM PC to do what the TI could do.  But, I did mention the Web site where I got the emulator.

Ah, cute! I met Leo back in the day - he had posted some kind words about my SCWebCam program, so I actually went to a recording of his show, and we got to chat a bit between segments. He mentioned me on the air that day:

• Like 7

I watched the screen savers from episode 1.

I was bummed when the NEW Screensavers left TWIT.TV  :(

Tursi, the speech works great! 

Parsec controls as intended.  You can thrust or I guess reverse thrust?? and the ships momentum as mentioned before delta lets you do diagonals.

You can pass the X-mite ships!  It is hard to get past the second one!

Or refuel backwards in the tunnel... 

I never even noticed that diagonals didn't work!  LOL

Like intellivision.  I was so used to using the DISC and Keypad together, I didn't realize you could only use one at a time.  I just did it by instinct.

• Like 1

Is there a special trick to using "Start Recording Video"?

Yes - I did look at the manual, though I might have read over something.

Every time I try, I get  a window with the heading: Classic99 Error and the text: Can't Open AVI File

image.png.0bba60865215393ef5024634b50ce14d.png

-2137205009 is 0x7ffBBF91. Can't seem to find this error code. But the most likely cause is that you have selected a codec which is incompatible with the internal video format that Classic99 uses. Over the years, I've found it harder and harder to find a setting that works.

Recording video from inside Classic99 is deprecated and won't get any further development. It never worked well and it has been superseded in a big way by external recording programs. I myself have used Open Broadcaster Software for the last 15 years or so (https://obsproject.com/). Windows 10 also has built-in recording that I'm told works fairly well (Windows-G, but beyond that first keypress I've not used it).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie update...

Classic99 399.052

- enhanced joystick configuration in config file
- added background noise emulation (enable in options->audio, sounds best at 44100hz)

Matt and I were talking and it inspired me. I finally implemented the background noise, and I think it's mostly right... if I nailed it correctly, the noise is generated mostly by the CRU keyboard scan, with a bit of VDP interrupt pin for good measure. It definitely sounds close enough, though I'm sure there are some other noise sources, but it reproduces the sound that I remember most. :)

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Just a quickie update...

Classic99 399.052

- enhanced joystick configuration in config file
- added background noise emulation (enable in options->audio, sounds best at 44100hz)

Matt and I were talking and it inspired me. I finally implemented the background noise, and I think it's mostly right... if I nailed it correctly, the noise is generated mostly by the CRU keyboard scan, with a bit of VDP interrupt pin for good measure. It definitely sounds close enough, though I'm sure there are some other noise sources, but it reproduces the sound that I remember most. :)

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

By background noise you mean the humming i can hear sometimes when typing, feeding back through my tv speakers?

I also hear a similar noise when playing the game "Who's Behind The Mexican UFO's?", while it draws the screens.

17 minutes ago, Keatah said:

When enabling/disabling the background noise, the debugger window opens.

Also, is there a way to make the debugger window hide under the main emulation window? Seems to always be on top.

That first would be a bug. The second would defeat the purpose, so no. Just close it for now ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1