IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

9 hours ago, Retrospect said:

yeah i think it was.  When i said "you can't" it was due to my being confused with the simultaneously statement, already in my mind was a pop-up window with the MBX stuff aside the Classic99 window.  One way I suppose it could be done if you ever did it, would be to make use of a second keyboard (should the need arise if the user doesn't have a full keyboard say on a small laptop) .... can classic99 detect a USB keyboard being plugged in at all?  I wouldn't have a clue!  But it could be handy and nifty.  Overall though I do agree with you, it might be a stretch too far considering classic99 is a dev tool. 

Special cases are unlikely to be possible with a cross-platform library like Allegro. If I stayed with Windows, that'd be possible. 

But, again, I've no intention of implementing MBX. ;)

9 hours ago, mizapf said:

If I tried to do it in MAME, one could probably map the number keypad to the MBX keyboard. There is the "Input (this machine)" option in the OSD menu where you can freely map real keys to emulated keys. This may not be enough, so probably adding the cursor keys and the Ins/Del block could do it.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.. the keypad should be able to manage most of the keys...

• Like 1

Hey everyone. When I read that Classic99 had been ported over to Linux and macOS, I immediately tried to build and run it for myself. I confirm that it's super unstable on macOS, even on High Sierra (10.13). Now that I know about Classic99v4.git, I'm super motivated to play around with it in general, hehe. I'm just gonna go ahead and try building it on NetBSD, too (I maintain several packages for NetBSD) and just have some fun. Very cool stuff here.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 5.27.36 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Dude... just imagine running apt-get install classic99...

I've no idea what it takes to get into that database, but eventually my intention is a Debian package, so whatever happens after that.

However, long time out. ;)

For macOS I am looking at using Brew for distribution. It's the first time I've actually enjoyed using a Mac... ;)

• Like 3

So I tried using TI artist with the tipi mouse I'm not sure if it's the Windows mouse driver or classic99 implementation or just the tipi mouse driver itself. But it is really not capable of drawing. It seems to be making all of the lines straight and not able to do any kind of arc. The the mouse is poorly read at a slow speed and really spaced out dots at a faster speed

Having had a mechatronic mouse and using it with TI artist in the past, it was way better. You could actually draw with it and have solid lines and make curves

Not a complaint. It's an observation

I had the idea of having a contest for people to draw using the mouse and TI artist this year but it is not possible with this setup

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Well, TIPI isn't a supported feature in Classic99, so it's completely fair to blame the emulation. I've not tried it on hardware... actually, I haven't booted TI Artist on hardware since I owned in in 89. That might be a nostalgic blast ;)

I've only tested the mouse emulation using Rasmus' game, but it seemed to work fairly well there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oddemann said:

Did I read that you can copy programs out of C99?

You really should use “Classic99” for @Tursi’s Classic99 emulator because your use of “C99” invariably takes me to C99, which is a still-used C compiler for the TI-99/4A. When that happens, you lose your audience because your comments about Classic99 are totally confusing when my context is now the C99 C compiler (and I am not the only one having this difficulty).

...lee

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

Do you mean program listings from within Classic99?  If so, then there is the CLIP device which opens the Windows clipboard.

LIST "CLIP"

This command will send the current BASIC/XB program listing to the clipboard, which you can then paste into Windows documents or browsers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

Classic99 doesn't maintain any proprietary data structures.

If you're using TIFILES files - those are standard TI "XModem" files and can be transferred directly to a real TI or even accessed over a network by several modern devices. The files contain no embedded metadata and can be freely moved, copied, renamed, etc.

If you mean BASIC/XB/etc as OLD CS1 notes, you can list to the clipboard to get a text listing. You can also list directly to a Windows text file (again, if you have a FIAD folder mapped), with LIST "DSK1.?W.LIST.TXT" -- the ?W makes it write a Windows compatible text file instead of a TIFILES file.

These functions are not true for V9T9 style files or for disk images.

Otherwise, it's not clear what you're asking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Do you mean program listings from within Classic99?  If so, then there is the CLIP device which opens the Windows clipboard.

LIST "CLIP"

This command will send the current BASIC/XB program listing to the clipboard, which you can then paste into Windows documents or browsers.

Thx, OLD CS1!!! Cool, then I can RES my listing!

On 1/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Tursi said:

Update to Classic99v4 - MacOSX build is stable now.

Missing initialization of member variables. Rookie mistake. ;)

Tursi would you consider adding 30 rows mode in F18a emulation? That would be so cool.

I know that feature requests can be frustrating, so please ignore if that’s the case.

I remember you mentioning you wanted a more complete F18a emulation in classic99v4.

(For the newest revision of Stevie I’ve added  a build-option that replaces the sprite cursor with a character cursor.

You win some you lose some. Speed is a bit slower now (mostly technical reasons because I don’t want to rewrite too much of the cursor code) and am running in 24x80 instead of 30x80.  But I also gain the CLIP. device and the excellent debugger, well worth it to me). 

Edited by retroclouds
typos
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tursi said:

Update to Classic99v4 - MacOSX build is stable now.

Missing initialization of member variables. Rookie mistake. ;)

Did I miss the link on where this build is or where I can download and attempt to compile on my Mac? :)

@OLD CS1 - Mac is user preference.  I use both Windows and Mac, but I really prefer my Mac.  It's a good compromise because of the shell and all the utilities that feel native (versus ones that seem tacked on in Windows.)
And I +1 - Homebrew is a great package manager.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, dhe said:

I would appreciate it, if you have the time, if you would rebase Classic99v3 with the new RXB.

Rich hasn't provided me with a new package yet. I don't add third party packages at my own whim.

20 hours ago, PeteE said:

I didn't notice in which release it was added, but thanks @Tursi for adding the sprites to the debugger F9 view.  If I could persuade you, would you mind grouping them into 2x2 char blocks when the 16x16 bit is set?

I barely remember that... ;) 

10 hours ago, retroclouds said:

Tursi would you consider adding 30 rows mode in F18a emulation? That would be so cool.

I know that feature requests can be frustrating, so please ignore if that’s the case.

Like three in a row? ;)

Yes, v4 will have a more complete F18A emulation, when it gets there. Different buffer texture sizes are a problem in v3 - the 80 column support is all over the place as a result. But don't hold your breath. I'm one person, and Classic99 isn't my top interest.

9 hours ago, acadiel said:

Did I miss the link on where this build is or where I can download and attempt to compile on my Mac? :)

I don't know how to package for the Mac, so for now it's source only. https://github.com/tursilion/Classic99v4

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi:

I can't be the only one with this question, but, searching seems not to yield much.

This has to do with .dsk images in PC99 format (size is 260,240 bytes).

Classic99 doesn't seem to be able to read them no matter what I do, yet, the manual says it supports them.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this size not supported?  I've tried with both images downloaded from whtech as well as images from my copy of the CYC.

I can convert them with TI Image Tool, but, this is an extra step I'd like to avoid.

For example, if I try to load an  Extended Basic program with one of these disks selected, I get * I/O ERROR 06

If I convert with TI Image Tool, everything works ok.

Am I doing something wrong, oe these images actually not supported?

Thanks!