IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I want to say you should be able to use a/instead of a. But that might just be tipi

This was more or less my original spec, yet I have not implemented it in Classic99 yet. The entire filename is passed raw to the host system.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Haven't upgraded in a while...

Know anything about this?

noload.thumb.jpg.919124b152b10147e977727505d39389.jpg

It's hard to tell because the OPEN command is not showing in the debug log there, only the CLOSE. Which is pretty odd.

But error code 0 is usually DEVICE NOT FOUND, meaning the DSK1 part.

It's going to be something in your configuration, when I run it here it works fine. Double check what your DSK1 settings are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torrax said:

You are using a DOS 8.3 filename with the TI file system.  Need to remove the period in the filename and rename it to something the TI will recognize.

Also make sure the FIAD header matches the new filename and is 10 chars or less.

Suggested change is "MM_LBLA.OBJ" to "MM_LBLA_O".

To be a little more verbose than my 'no'... ;)

> You are using a DOS 8.3 filename with the TI file system. 

No, he's using the host filesystem.

>Need to remove the period in the filename and rename it to something the TI will recognize.

The TI doesn't recognize filenames - it simply parses the device name and passes everything off to the DSR to deal with. The DSR is allowed to use any conventions it likes. You are thinking in terms of the TI disk controller, which in emulation only reads disk images anyway.

> Also make sure the FIAD header matches the new filename and is 10 chars or less.

This only affects V9T9 files, which I do not recommend Classic99 users default to. TIFILES files have no restrictions on filename.

>Suggested change is "MM_LBLA.OBJ" to "MM_LBLA_O".

Unnecessary - he is following the procedure documented in the manual. I released that file with the emulator.

Beyond all that, the error code indicates a problem locating the device, not a problem with the file on the device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhe said:

Hey @Tursi in May 2016 you wrote:

image.thumb.png.7b67405ba33d0187eb1a2937f0b373c3.png

Is it to soon to ask if you've made any progress?

On which part? ;)

Parallel/serial - there's code but it doesn't do anything useful

Serial Capture - none

Epson driver - I bookmarked a page.

V4 has architecture in place that in specifically targeted at serial/parallel, but since I still have to work for a living, progress is slow. Shall we patreon it? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Classic99 399.059

- make debug window larger
    - add double-buffered draw code for the text views to remove flicker (could still be optimized)
    - add view of SID and AMS registers
    - rev WINNT version to Windows XP
    - increase size of debug and disassembly history
    - add setting to remove wait states on RAM expansion (Options->CPU Throttling->16-bit RAM) - also unfortunately impacts AMS which is not realistic

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Classic99 399.059

- make debug window larger
    - add double-buffered draw code for the text views to remove flicker (could still be optimized)
    - add view of SID and AMS registers
    - rev WINNT version to Windows XP
    - increase size of debug and disassembly history
    - add setting to remove wait states on RAM expansion (Options->CPU Throttling->16-bit RAM) - also unfortunately impacts AMS which is not realistic

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

Thank you Tursi. Looking forward trying the new features.

5 hours ago, Retrospect said:

The 32K 16-bit option is interesting ... what differences would I see, using the compiled XB for my games, would they run the same speed or would there be a speed increase in some way?

Access to the 32k memory expansion is 4 cycles faster. So the the actual improvement depends entirely on the memory access patterns of your software. Most assembly code that runs from RAM sees about 25-50% boost.

I didn't implement it in the past because I wanted people to write new software for the base system. But I give up on that. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest version of Classic99 QI399.059 is bugged for loading GRAM and has really slowed my use of Classic99.

Previous to this version I was using was QI399.057 and did not have this issue, I went back to previous versions and the problem may have started in QI399.058

I use GPL*LOADER by Ryte Data to load GRAM/GROM object files and upon exit can load CS that saves GRAM/GROM to disk in GRAMKACKER format.

Problem is now when you exit to Title Screen all the loaded GRAM/GROM is GONE?

ERASED!

NO LONGER LOADED INTO GRAM/GROM?

So I cannot exit to load CS as there is no longer anything in GRAM/GROM to save that I just loaded?

10 hours ago, RXB said:

Latest version of Classic99 QI399.059 is bugged for loading GRAM and has really slowed my use of Classic99.

Previous to this version I was using was QI399.057 and did not have this issue, I went back to previous versions and the problem may have started in QI399.058

I use GPL*LOADER by Ryte Data to load GRAM/GROM object files and upon exit can load CS that saves GRAM/GROM to disk in GRAMKACKER format.

Problem is now when you exit to Title Screen all the loaded GRAM/GROM is GONE?

ERASED!

NO LONGER LOADED INTO GRAM/GROM?

So I cannot exit to load CS as there is no longer anything in GRAM/GROM to save that I just loaded?

I didn't touch the GROM support. Give me a step by step to reproduce or there's nothing I can do.

11 hours ago, Tursi said:

I didn't touch the GROM support. Give me a step by step to reproduce or there's nothing I can do.

Well after 2 hours looking at problem and being sidetracked it turned to be a Windows 10 Permissions problem with USERS write protecting DSK1 DSK2 DSK3

My account Administrator, Rich, Everyone all had READ/WRITE/MODIFY permissions, but for some stupid Windows 10 update USERS did not so restricted Classic99 

from ability to WRITE/MODIFY any files on DSK 1 to 3, only allowed to read.

I downloaded Classic99 QI399.059 and after update it restricted these files. 

I really hate Microsoft stupid crappy way of re-writing all permissions every time it loads a stupid update.

So it was not Classic99 but me just downloading a copy of updated Classic99 and Windows 10 making a mess of it.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, Retrospect said:

The 32K 16-bit option is interesting ... what differences would I see, using the compiled XB for my games, would they run the same speed or would there be a speed increase in some way?

You would see some speed increase. Compiled programs use workspaces in the scratchpad ram, but the program is entirely kept in the 32K memory. I would guess 20-25% faster. Let us know if you can notice any difference.

SPAD 13 Mk2 is much peppier running on the 16 bit bus. I don't know if the workspaces are in the scratchpad with SPAD 13.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RXB said:

Well after 2 hours looking at problem and being sidetracked it turned to be a Windows 10 Permissions problem with USERS write protecting DSK1 DSK2 DSK3

My account Administrator, Rich, Everyone all had READ/WRITE/MODIFY permissions, but for some stupid Windows 10 update USERS did not so restricted Classic99 

from ability to WRITE/MODIFY any files on DSK 1 to 3, only allowed to read.

I downloaded Classic99 QI399.059 and after update it restricted these files. 

I really hate Microsoft stupid crappy way of re-writing all permissions every time it loads a stupid update.

So it was not Classic99 but me just downloading a copy of updated Classic99 and Windows 10 making a mess of it.

Just run Classic99 in C:\Classic99. Windows doesn't enforce any default protections there. I've run mine there for decades and never had a single permissions issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

You would see some speed increase. Compiled programs use workspaces in the scratchpad ram, but the program is entirely kept in the 32K memory. I would guess 20-25% faster. Let us know if you can notice any difference.

SPAD 13 Mk2 is much peppier running on the 16 bit bus. I don't know if the workspaces are in the scratchpad with SPAD 13.

Yeah. I had the mod in my console back in the day. It made a nice difference on the C compiler, made my BBS able to run 2400 bps without any hesitation, and made Super Space Acer nice and smooth. But only things that use the 32k RAM will see any difference. You can expect no difference from BASIC or any cartridge (except loader carts). Even XB, which does use the 32K, has no notable improvement in performance since it spends more time in 8-bit memories (ROM and GROM)... though it might be measurable in special situations. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tursi said:

Let us know if you can notice any difference.

I thought I did see speed increase, anything that increments / decrements numbers is going quicker unless it's my eyes.  I've popped two videos and a comment on the thread regarding 16-bit vs 8-bit ram speeds 

14 hours ago, Tursi said:

Just run Classic99 in C:\Classic99. Windows doesn't enforce any default protections there. I've run mine there for decades and never had a single permissions issue.

Yea you run it in ROOT DIRECTORY, I run it from DOCUMENTS or Program files same as I would if in a business.

The fact that Windows changes file permissions on Documents is beyond stupid, millions of people complain about this but Microsoft refuses to fix this.

Linux and Unix do not have this problem.