IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Because everyone full-screens every window, anyway. Have a 4k monitor? Browser is full screen. Without fail. :lolblue:

Never once have I ever used Classic99 in full screen mode I have this size screen to play games, but full screen of Classic99 looks like CRAP!

IMG_0303.JPG

1 hour ago, RXB said:

Never once have I ever used Classic99 in full screen mode I have this size screen to play games, but full screen of Classic99 looks like CRAP!

IMG_0303.JPG

I have a simular setup..40in 4k which lets me have 4 1080p size windows in the four quadrents..  without any issues with frames or desk mounts or all that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I sometimes see people maximizing their windows, and I really have problems to understand why. Not because I don't like it, I fail to see the benefit. When I click on the maximize button, it is almost always because I missed the minimize button next to it.

Maybe it´s another world when you have 2, 3 or more displays connected to your PC.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

Maybe it´s another world when you have 2, 3 or more displays connected to your PC.

When I did work with computers for a living yes I needed multiple monitors, but not today with gaming it just makes it hard to do playing games.

More monitors looks cool but still 98% of you focus will be on center monitor.

39 minutes ago, RXB said:

When I did work with computers for a living yes I needed multiple monitors, but not today with gaming it just makes it hard to do playing games.

More monitors looks cool but still 98% of you focus will be on center monitor.

yep. For me it always is important to have an odd number of monitors, so that the main desktop can be in the middle,

straight forward to me as usual. I have 3, so the left and the right monitor are very nice for using with task that I do

not use every second, but the whole day. Like Outlook, Youtube, NetFlix, Security Cams and and and...

I think my focus to the middle screen is about 70%

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I credit my abhorrence to full-screen applications to my exposure to the Amiga.  Windowing in AmigaOS is just so fluid and easy, and there is little need for programs to run full screen.  Any program which benefits from its own screen can either open a screen (or "virtual desktop") or be convinced to if it is an MUI program. Limited ChipRAM is also why I tend to close unused windows, now even with AmigaOS enhancements which render icons in FastRAM and even in Windows -- not just an old habit, but also keeps a cleaner work space.

I really loved the way AmigaOS handled windowing, multitasking, everything. It was so well thought out. There are a couple of steps forward since then, but so many steps back.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

This is also a very cool addition.  This will allow a program to completely quit out.  Now a TI game or program can run more like a native application and exit when it wants.  Nice!

It is a bit of a mental twist to go from "Classic99 is a development tool" to "Classic99 is a deployment platform". But I don't think there are seriously any other tweaks needed. (Maybe proper F18A, but that'll be in 4.0). I keep toying with the idea of extensions to let you increase the screen size and so on, but I don't seriously think I'd do it... support would be a nightmare.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mizapf said:

I sometimes see people maximizing their windows, and I really have problems to understand why. Not because I don't like it, I fail to see the benefit. When I click on the maximize button, it is almost always because I missed the minimize button next to it.

In the old 4:3 days I used full screen windows a lot, and multi-monitor was mandatory for me, but as I moved to wide screen I found that I really wanted to keep that same aspect ratio, so I could drop two windows side-by-side if they weren't maximized, and needed fewer physical monitors. Now I let them overlap plenty. ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tursi said:

It is a bit of a mental twist to go from "Classic99 is a development tool" to "Classic99 is a deployment platform".

Perhaps because nobody has done it?  I was thinking about these packaged versions of retro games which are built around an emulator (for instance, numerous C64 games packed with Vice*,) and I thought, why not something like for the TI?  Why not package up some TI games with Classic99 in AppMode for those who are emulator squeamish and lack real hardware?  Even disk-based stuff could be done this way (XB with the auto-load feature.)  Heck, with a keyboard queue you might even be able to load up a tape from TI BASIC automagically.

10 minutes ago, Tursi said:

In the old 4:3 days

I still have two 2001FPs at my desk, connected to my Windows machine, my Amiga 4000, MorphOS MacMini, and composite and S-Video cables over to the side of my desk for TI, C64, or whatever.

* Vice has some nice features, like auto-loading a disk or tape file when dropped into the emulator window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

So, I finally figured out how to change register values with the debugger. Yay!:party:

The secret is...

It must be preceded by a letter C. Who would have guessed?;)

Reading...? ;)

image.png.b8ce0792878b33e1c7bad7fe0d7923a9.png

==== debugger control ====
xxxx                - set base address to view in CPU, AMS, VDP and GROM
PC=xxxx             - set Program Counter to xxxx
WP=xxxx             - set Workspace Pointer to xxxx
ST=xxxx             - set Status register to xxxx
Cxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to CPU memory
Vxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to VDP memory
Gxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to GROM
Xxxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...]- write byte or bytes to raw AMS (X=eXtended)
CRxx=yy             - set CPU register xx to value yy
VRxx=yy             - set VDP register xx to value yy
ARxx=yy             - set AMS register xx to value yy
DISASM=xxxx,yyyy    - write disasm.txt from addresses xxxx-yyyy
AMS                 - dump AMS register summary to debug
Note register indexes are always in DECIMAL, all other
values are assumed to be hex

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually had a need to use the debugger this week, I was trying to figure out how TP99 was doing something.

Once I looked up the docs, it's like wow, this is super simple to use.

Man, it is so nice, to not have to hit a load interrupt switch, at just the right time, and then hope your debugger doesn't trample on your program, and you get things just so, so that  you can jump back in to the code and continue to execute... so so nice.

Thanks Tursi!

==== debugger control ====
xxxx                - set base address to view in CPU, AMS, VDP and GROM
PC=xxxx             - set Program Counter to xxxx
WP=xxxx             - set Workspace Pointer to xxxx
ST=xxxx             - set Status register to xxxx
Cxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to CPU memory
Vxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to VDP memory
Gxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...] - write byte or bytes to GROM
Xxxxxx=yy[yyyyyy...]- write byte or bytes to raw AMS (X=eXtended)
CRxx=yy             - set CPU register xx to value yy
VRxx=yy             - set VDP register xx to value yy
ARxx=yy             - set AMS register xx to value yy
DISASM=xxxx,yyyy    - write disasm.txt from addresses xxxx-yyyy
AMS                 - dump AMS register summary to debug
Note register indexes are always in DECIMAL, all other
values are assumed to be hex

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Hmm, I'm still using... QI399.031

Whenever I press 'HELP', I keep getting this:

new2eyes.thumb.gif.90a40f0d9d63f751bd72debfb53b0f59.gif

:-o

Ahh... ah.

If, uh, if you have reached that screen I am required to instruct you to call a very specific number and wait for further instructions. You'll have to PM me for the number, I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...