Jump to content
Tursi

Classic99 Updates

Recommended Posts

Works here, I use it a lot. It won't update if the CPU is halted though... are you debugging and trying to watch it at the same time maybe?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic99 399.050

 

Yes, I skipped telling you about 049 - the only change of import there was I added a config option to the INI that lets you disable the Escape key.

 

In 050, though:

 

- rewrote SpeechDLL using the latest code from MAME - now emulates the correct speech chip.
- fixed bug with speech cpu halt that was causing crashes - was broken in 399.037
- reworked the audio buffering as well for speech, now uses the main audio jitter buffer. This may add some latency but fixes the froggy sound
- updated cartpack.dll just to remove the TE2 speech warning

 

Yes, this means for the first time in Classic99's nearly 30 year history I consider the speech synthesizer functional. I still don't like it very much though. ;)

 

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work on the speech Tursi. 🙂

I still prefer to play on real hardware, but its nice to see Parsec via Classic99 finally get clear speech working.

I made the mistake of trying Alpiner in Classic99 too, and now i remember why i hardly play that game anymore.

Thanks for letting Classic99 verbally insult my inferior climbing skills. ;-)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, I did the same thing. First time I have been told that I forgot to duck ;)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tursi said:

Works here, I use it a lot. It won't update if the CPU is halted though... are you debugging and trying to watch it at the same time maybe?

Nope. Running BASIC and have the heat map open.

 

9 hours ago, Tursi said:

Yes, this means for the first time in Classic99's nearly 30 year history I consider the speech synthesizer functional.

WOOT!

   1470111120_carltondancing.gif.38fad2e3cf2fc29c05e9b819324b5f91.gif

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Nope. Running BASIC and have the heat map open.

 

Weird. What does "doesn't work" mean, then... no updates at all? Black or white window?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's been decades since I last heard Parsec sound just right. This is a directly noticeable example of one project benefiting another.

 

On a partially related note. In Parsec.. Is it possible to move forward AND up or down simultaneously? Because at least on my setup I can't. It's either forward/backward or up/down. No diagonal movement at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Yes it's been decades since I last heard Parsec sound just right. This is a directly noticeable example of one project benefiting another.

 

On a partially related note. In Parsec.. Is it possible to move forward AND up or down simultaneously? Because at least on my setup I can't. It's either forward/backward or up/down. No diagonal movement at all.

 

Joystick is only way to move that way as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Weird. What does "doesn't work" mean, then... no updates at all? Black or white window?

Clipboard01.png.09698ab3a249a242903eea4b79840098.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine works fine? 

Check Windows 10 permissions where Classic99 is loaded.

I always have to reset permissions each time I update Classic99 or my documents folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RXB said:

Joystick is only way to move that way as far as I know.

I tried my old Logitech and Gravis gamepads and still cannot get a diagonal movement in Classic99.

 

So maybe there's a bug that needs fixing. Unless there's an issue with my rig or Classic99's configuration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I tried my old Logitech and Gravis gamepads and still cannot get a diagonal movement in Classic99.

 

So maybe there's a bug that needs fixing. Unless there's an issue with my rig or Classic99's configuration?

 

I set in the options, joystick 1 to PC joystick 1. (default was keyboard) 

 

then in Parsec... yes, seems impossible to reverse and go up at the same time...

 

But in TI BASIC:

10 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y)
20 PRINT X,Y
30 GOTO 10

This will show values of diagonals as X and Y being non-zero at the same time. Which seems to work. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. That works. Both keyboard and gamepad. In TI BASIC on Classic99. So my host rig is ok.

 

But not in Parsec on Classic99. How about on a real machine? Does Parsec work "correctly" on a real machine?

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yes it's been decades since I last heard Parsec sound just right. This is a directly noticeable example of one project benefiting another.

Yes, though the old speech code was MAME's too! I never had enough interest in the hardware to do it myself.

 

Means Michael Zapf finally has a credit in Classic99. ;)

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Clipboard01.png.09698ab3a249a242903eea4b79840098.png

 

huh... looks like it's not painting at all.

 

Can you try renaming classic99.ini and trying again? (Then you can put it back ;) ) I'm wondering if one of the timing parameters got messed up.

 

There's not much else going on there - I've tried it on most versions of Windows, but what version is it failing on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Can you try renaming classic99.ini and trying again?

No joy.

 

7 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I've tried it on most versions of Windows, but what version is it failing on?

Windows 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Yes. That works. Both keyboard and gamepad. In TI BASIC on Classic99. So my host rig is ok.

 

But not in Parsec on Classic99. How about on a real machine? Does Parsec work "correctly" on a real machine?

Tested on hardware... both keyboard and joystick only allow for four directions of motion. Joystick zeros all inputs on diagonals, and keyboard just remembers the last key.

 

However, if you move left or right first, then switch to up or down, it will remember the delta-x and keep doing that acceleration while you move up and down.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

No joy.

 

Windows 7.

Your computer hates you.

 

I have no idea. I'll test on another Win7 machine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Your computer hates you.

Not surprising.  Technology and I have not been getting along well for the past couple a few months.

 

4 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I have no idea. I'll test on another Win7 machine.

I forgot I have another machine I can test on, as well.  Going to walk over there to do that in a few minutes.

 

EDIT: not working there, either, neither from the shared location on the network nor a local fresh extraction.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Tested on hardware... both keyboard and joystick only allow for four directions of motion. Joystick zeros all inputs on diagonals, and keyboard just remembers the last key.

Alright. So then Classic99's behavior is still slightly different here. I didn't realize (or remember) that real hardware had no diagonal capability.

 

4 minutes ago, Tursi said:

However, if you move left or right first, then switch to up or down, it will remember the delta-x and keep doing that acceleration while you move up and down.

That works. It's so unnatural though. Maybe it's time someone patch Parsec itself. Somehow. Even if it's possible to get real hardware to read diagonals. IDK.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Even if it's possible to get real hardware to read diagonals.

Real hardware can read diagonals on the joystick.  It is absolutely possible for, say, a CALL JOYST(1,X,Y) to return non-zero values simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Alright. So then Classic99's behavior is still slightly different here. I didn't realize (or remember) that real hardware had no diagonal capability.

How so? I was able to do all the same motions in Classic99...

 

The hardware has all the capability. Parsec doesn't ;)

 

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tursi said:

How so? I was able to do all the same motions in Classic99...

 

32 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Tested on hardware... both keyboard and joystick only allow for four directions of motion. Joystick zeros all inputs on diagonals, and keyboard just remembers the last key.

Here you imply diagonals can't be read.

 

But I was able to get all 8 directions in the BASIC example listed in post 2088, in Classic 99, with both keyboard or gamepad/stick.

 

This article implies that real hardware can read the diagonals as well:

https://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/joystick.htm

 

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Here you imply diagonals can't be read.

IN PARSEC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...