Tursi

Classic99 Updates

5 hours ago, InfiniteTape said:

Well, that's a test, I suppose. :)

image.thumb.png.337214b3b87b9abb310e897f63c6c2ea.png

Looks great. What virtualization software are you using on the M1? Parallels Desktop?

Also did you have to buy the Windows 11 ARM edition or is it possible to test without license key?

have a M1 macbook myself and very much like the idea running classic99 on it.

17 hours ago, retroclouds said:

Looks great. What virtualization software are you using on the M1? Parallels Desktop?

Also did you have to buy the Windows 11 ARM edition or is it possible to test without license key?

have a M1 macbook myself and very much like the idea running classic99 on it.

I'm using the preview of VMWare Fusion for ARM. I have a Visual Studio subscription through work, so I didn't have any trouble getting access to the Windows build through the Windows Insider program. When I was figuring out how to get the VM built (which takes some tricks since Fusion doesn't claim official support), it seems that it's pretty easy to get the Windows build as an ISO or VHDX.

I've honestly been astonished how well the x86 and x64 emulation works in Windows 11.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, Vorticon said:

Curious why that is the case...

Honestly, because I spent some time thinking about it and couldn't really come up with anything. The TI-99/4A doesn't have a low power mode or a mode in which it is doing less work - by the time you get to the title page, the CPU is barreling along at full speed, the VDP is displaying one of the more complex modes it can display, and the sound chip is generating a full stream. As far as normal TI-99/4A emulation is concerned, it's already doing everything.

You can add slightly more load by executing some speech or running bitmap mode - Parsec gives you that in the first few seconds. You can add in some SID stuff, which is expensive on the host cpu but isn't up to date in the emulation anyway. Running some F18A GPU stuff adds load too, but the enhanced modes are not supported in Classic99 so that's got a limited amount of software. Some of the expanded RAM AMS stuff would be interesting.

I suppose you could try the TI Megademo to force the scanline code to run, that's probably a good test. Scanline detection isn't really a greater effort - again, all the scanlines are being generated anyway - but it's trickier for emulation to get right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InfiniteTape said:

I'm using the preview of VMWare Fusion for ARM. I have a Visual Studio subscription through work, so I didn't have any trouble getting access to the Windows build through the Windows Insider program. When I was figuring out how to get the VM built (which takes some tricks since Fusion doesn't claim official support), it seems that it's pretty easy to get the Windows build as an ISO or VHDX.

I've honestly been astonished how well the x86 and x64 emulation works in Windows 11.

That is pretty impressive, yes. Guess I don't need cross platform at all! ;)