IGNORED

Lemonade Stand

Opry99er

I never had an Atariage thread for "Lemonade Stand"--- it was complete and distributed with manual and all before we ever had a thread here. So I thought I'd post it here, for posterity and so you guys can give it a whirl. It is written in XB with minor graphical assembly support.

As this was my first game, I had alot of help in understanding game loops, incrementing vartiables, keeping track of statistics, etc. It was alot to learn, and I was pretty happy with the outcome... However, looking back, I see a million things I would change--- code-wise AND gameplay as well. I doubt I'll ever re-visit the XB code though... The next time I sit down to mess with this game, it will be for an 8k cartridge--- 100% TMS9900.

The manual is also attached here... please PLEASE read the manual--- the game makes so much more sense when you do. It's in .TIFF picture format, so it can be viewed in any media viewer. I put quite a bit of time into the documentation... not necessarily WRITING it, but designing the manual layout and such. Took FOREVER for some reason, and I sold out of the manuals so all I have are these pictures left. =) It's essentially a business simulation game wherein you buy ingredients and sell Lemonade to people in the town of Lemonsburg, USA. Sounds easy, yea? =) Give er a go... but read the docs, or you'll just tread water--- at least for a while. =)

**A couple Screenshots!**

lem1.jpg

lem2.jpg

In the above screenshot, there are 4 important pieces of info...

1) The number of customers remaining for the day (top left)

2) How many servings of Lemonade you heve left (bottom right)

3) Your cash money (bottom left)

4) The "day" (inside the Lemonade Stand)

The version I have posted here is actually very special... It is a true .exe standalone copy of my XB game. I'm so very happy to have this game in this format, because it eliminates the end-user from having to mess with the front end of an emulator. Just double-click and play!

This is a custom "save-state" created by Tursi on my request--- I don't know how difficult it was to accomplish this, but I'm very glad it happened!!! Included in the zipfile is Tursi's Classic99 "version" documentation which allows me to distribute this .exe file. It is essentially Classic99 running my game but frozen in a "save-state" just before the game starts... So as soon as you open it, it begins the game. I was hoping maybe Tursi would offer this service for a fee... I am happy to pay for his brilliant services!! Anyway, thanks for playing!

LemonadeStandalone.zip

Lemonade_Stand_Manual.pdf

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

Hey thanks alot, man... =) I really hope some more folks will play this game... It kinda just faded into the TI Y! groups backlogs... but Walid did put a version on his gameshelf site, and I'm grateful for that!

Tursi is a master, man... the guy is brilliant, and I'm very glad he was willing to do this for me--- See, I think this is a good thing for HOMEBREW games... I think that if we program something original, it would be nice to have an executable. The problem is, though, that if someone goes and makes executables of Parsec and Hunt the Wumpus and whatnot, it might be verging on Copyright issues... I'm not sure, and I'm not the guy to ask about this... but I think the best thing to do here would be to limit the .exe's to homebrews and original works. But enough of that stupid copyright issue.... =)

Were you able to DL the manual okay? The link work? I just linked it to my page's resources section--- =) Thanks again for responding

Yep! Manual works good, no problems! :)

As per the copyright thing, yeah, homebrews is really what I meant. An executable of a copyrighted software would definitely be infringing upon the copyright. But if every homebrew is in an easy to execute form, I think accessibility will really increase and that could only be a good thing for the TI scene! New blood on board due to being able to easily play these games and see what the system is all about! :thumbsup:

(this is sort of OT so apologies in advance, but it does explain my personal situation) I don't have a CF7+ or anything to be able to play the TI software on actual hardware, nor can I make disk images into actual disks, etc. so emulation for me is the only option for homebrew software, and this is right up my alley as a casual TI user, because I can easily just double-click a game and go. I don't know enough about being able to get homebrews onto a system, either, so short of looking it up (which is something I should do) this is really the best solution! I bet other people in the same situation would be on-board for more TI homebrews, etc. if they were available in executable format.

Then again, I'd fork over money easily for anything on a cart, so that's something too, but this definitely is something I feel is a step in the right direction to keeping the TI alive and kicking and growing every year!

Well thank you for your enthusiasm... When I learned that this possibility existed, I about shat myself. =) I think it's a great idea as well... I just hope the process of doing this isn't too difficult.

If you're interested in tutorials on how to transfer games to/from the TI-99, visit my YouTube channel, "Opry99er" or visit the resources thread of this forum... I believe one or two of my video tutorials are in that thread... I take a game from the tigameshelf.net site and transfer it to my TI... I also discuss archiving and unarchiving files using Classic99's accompanying ARC303G program. Quite useful. If you have a TI with a PEB and an rs232 card--- you're just about there. If you have a PC with a USB port, you're even closer... If you have a USB-->serial cable and a db25 adapter, you have JUST ABOUT all you need to transfer files. Next--- a term program on the TI... MFM or (Magic File Manipulator). This has to be on diskette, so the only way to have it is to have a copy mailed to you. If you'd like, get yourself set up to transfer and let me know--- I'll snail mail you the diskette you need. =) Happy TI-ing!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John, have you tried this game yet? Another fun one in XB. :)

Yeah, I have played it, I enjoyed it too! I have thought about doing a version of lemonade tycoon for the PC many times but have never started on it. I love sim games and you have a good balance here.

I think it's absolutely certain. In the proper hands, this system can make beautiful graphics!!! My statement was predicated on 2 things:

-At the time I wrote this, I had no idea about graphics

-She's a newcomer to our sub-forum... She may not be aware of our system limitations. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Opry99er

I think it's absolutely certain. In the proper hands, this system can make beautiful graphics!!! My statement was predicated on 2 things:

-At the time, I had bo idea about graphics

-a newcomer to our forum... She may nit be aware of our system limitations. :)

Well, she is a member of AtariAge (seventies and eighties computer and consoles ?) ...

;)

Yea, but there are Super Nintendo forums on here... 90's RPG talk... DOS games (much higher resolution) and even the Amiga (which is a MONSTER). I really think I intended for it to sound more like this...

**"It's written on the TI-99, so we have a limited color palette with which to work"

-OR-

**"It's written on the TI-99 so the graphics are pretty plain when compared to modern computers"

-OR- maybe

**"It's written on the TI-99 so the graphics are a particularly low resolution in comparison with more modern gaming platforms."

Sometimes, you know how I feel about the TI. =) I wasn't saying anything derogatory. I'm also a believer that "fancy graphics do not a good game make..." I am a fan of the true graphic artists on here. Yourself, UnderExtended... I think what you guys do is awesome. So... I apologize if what I said sounded derogatory. You ought to know me well enough by now that I would never "crack" on the TI for being technologically limited by it's time in the world and the a-holes at TI who decided to drop it after only a few years. =)

Yea, but there are Super Nintendo forums on here... 90's RPG talk... DOS games (much higher resolution) and even the Amiga (which is a MONSTER). I really think I intended for it to sound more like this...

Okay, well, didn't realize that, though I actually knew about the full Atari range which of course includes Jaguar and ST/TT. I did you wrong. Sorry for any inconvenience/disturbance in the force.

:|

Just uploaded the pdf file of the manual. It's quite nice... please let me know if you have any troubles with it. Thanks to snume for taking the time to post this.

Only strange thing is... these pages show Microsoft Word correction lines on them?? Not sure how that happened. I don't think the original images had that in them... but I'll look now--- I may have uploaded the incorrect pictures. Darnitt!!!

lemonpdfpic.png

Edited by Opry99er

• 8 years later...