IGNORED

Can't decide whitch to get.

There is a guy on craigslist who has a few Jaguars and TurboGrafx consoles for sale, including all hook ups and one controller, the TurboGrafix coming with an attachment to allow you to have composite hook ups, for $50 a peice. I have never owned eather system, but would like to add them and a few games to my colection, but sadly I can only afford one right now. Any ideas on whitch one I should get?

I currently own a Jag, and used to have a TG-16. Actually, they are quite similar in many regards. The sad thing is that the games for each system are hard to come by in the wild.

Do you prefer 2D space shooters and platformers? TG-16 is your system.

If you like 3D racers and maze shooters, then Jaguar is a good fit.

Either way, you will have to buy most of your games from eBay or another online source.

I'd say the TG is probably your better choice. A GREAT many Jag games totally suck, and I mean SUCK. There are several really good gems, but they're definately of the "in the rough" kind. The Turbo, on the other hand, has tons of quality games, and that TurboBooster add on is kind of hard to come by these days. It also has a bigger library of games, too. Your choice, but my Jag sees very little use, while the Turbo gets a lot of play.

• Like 2

You're not gonna find any RPGs on the Jag. The TG has some, but they're mostly on the CD system. AvP is good, as is Tempest 2000, but it's just not worth it, I think. Splatterhouse is an awesome (if somewhat altered) version of the arcade game, though. The TG has a hell of a library of games, all the Bonk (and Zonk) games, both Legendary Axe games, the Crush games. All top notch.

I lean toward the TG-16 as well. There are just a whole lot more good games for TG-16. Jag tries so hard, but I just don't enjoy looking at it, or holding the controller. Jag's best games are also considerably more expensive than the under/around $20 TG-16's best cost. Also unless the jag comes with a more advanced video cable, the default hookup on it is RF.

I just don't think jaguar has anything too unique or fun about it. I picked up a good number of the system's better games, and a lot of even those are pretty bad. Jag's Tempest 2000 is fun, but I'd probably rather play the saturn version, simply because that system has other good reasons to hook it up.

Edited by Reaperman

If you like 16 bit type games (Gen SNES) go with the TG if you like 32 bit type games (PS Saturn) go with the Jag! ;)

Well, I can't say about the Jaguar (still want to get one) But, I enjoy my TG-16 very much. As others have said, you'll need to find games on Ebay, etc. , and you may find that the games you want go for a little more than you want to spend... Be Patient... IMHO, the TG-16 has a very good 'good to bad games' ratio. A rather good version of Turrican, among them... (Though it's missing one level that's in the Amiga version... but oh well...)

A few of my favorites:

Sidearms

R-type

Aero Blasters

Devil's / Alien Crush

Ordyne

Ninja Spirit

You're not gonna find any RPGs on the Jag.

Well, there is TOWERS II.

Sadly though, that ranks as one of my all time greatest game disappointments. I applaud Telegames and the author for bringing it out after Atari folded up into JTS but I was soo disappointed in the game itself.

As for the original topic, just look at the libraries of each and see what you like. TG-16 has a much broader selection of games overall, though is obviously less technically advanced.

I've had lots of fun with both.

Now off to get Moto Rotor ...

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

The Jag is an awesome machine and I am a massive fan but the TG16 has so many games and they are mostly of great quality from what I have played.

I guess it comes to what you already own for me, if you have the SNES and Genesis already the Jag might be the better option. However judging by the types of games you favour I would definately go for the TG16.

Edited by The_Laird

Good point about what other systems you own. Jaguar is a unique "next gen" console, but as others have mentioned, its library is pretty weak compared to the TG-16. Really depends on what kind of games you'd rather play and I guess emulation might play a big roll in this too. Easy to emulate a PC Engine or TG-16, not so much for the Jag.

Not much else to add that hasn't already been covered, but game for game and bang for buck - I'd probably go with the TG-16 for now (Military Madness freakin' rocks). You can always pick up a Jaguar later if you still feel like it.

Edited by save2600

Turbo Grafx, easily.

Jaguar isn't the WORST console out, but I'd say that it's pretty damn lousy compared to most of what else is out there. The system does have its devotees, and with good reason, but there's a lot of other systems you should have before you find the need for a Jaguar.

Although the Jaguar came out while I was a high school student, I can't really comment on it outside of what game magazines thought of it at the time. I didn't play any games for the Jaguar. The Atari Jaguar is down on my list of systems that I would get based on the type of games I am into. Some of the type of games I am into include 2d shooters, platformers, rpgs, beat'em ups,puzzle games. and action adventure games.

I am an owner of a Tg-16 since 2006 and I own 44 games for it. Most of the RPgs on the Tg-16 are found on the CD side of the system. Internet is your friend for finding and buying games for the Tg-16. Tg-16 has a very good selection of good games. If you want Turbo CD games, you are better off getting Pc Engine Duo R, or a PC Engine Duo RX because those two CD systems for the Tg-16/ Pc engine doesn't have the durability issues as the CD attachment, or the Turbo Duo/Pc Engine Duo does. Those systems are not cheap on ebay.

Here are the games I thought were good for the Tg-16:

•  
  • Aero Blasters
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bloody Wolf
  • Bomberman
  • Bomberman'93
  • Bonk's Adventure
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Cratermaze
  • Devil's Crush
  • Dragon Spirit
  • Dragon's Curse
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Galaga'90
  • Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
  • Legendary Axe
  • Legendary Axe II
  • Neutopia
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Ordyne
  • Pac-Land
  • Parasol Stars
  • Raiden
  • R-Type
  • Side Arms
  • Sinistron
  • Soldier Blade
  • Splatterhouse
  • Super Star Soldier

Edited by 8th lutz

TURBOGRAFX ALL THE WAY. No question. However, I wholeheartedly recommend a Japanese Duo-R over anything else. Best of both worlds, and you can use any controller except the larger port US Turbopads with it (The US TurboDuo, which is a timebomb, also uses the smaller Japanese connectors). There really isn't anything you absolutely NEED to play in English on HuCard (if you need to, a region mod is the way to go), and the Japanese cards tend to be much cheaper. Also, the Japanese HuCard library is MUCH better than the meager US one (see OutRun, AfterBurner II and SFII just for starters). The CD games are all region free, and I consider them necessary. Great library of solid 16-Bit era greatness. It also happens to be the greatest shoot 'em up console in the history of video gaming. The US release was the very definition of a wasted opportunity.

I have them both, and the real truth is that the Jaguar kinda sucks. I know, T2K, AVP, etc., but truthfully, that's all it's really good for. And I even admit that I personally love CyberMorph! I also like the controller! (Though the overpriced Pro Controllers are absolutely the better option) Now, the VLM is my favorite music visualizer ever, but it's trapped on the temperamental and expensive Jag CD; for which there is only one truly great game (BattleMorph - IS2 is too hard to be fun). There are some other true gems (Super Burnout[!!!], Power Drive Rally, Rayman, Raiden, and some more that escape me), but overall, the library is frickin' awful. Most of the games, AVP included unfortunately, have aged very poorly. The other half are "Eurotrash."

I know it's sacrilege to be wrecking the Jag on Atariage of all places, but it's more a curiosity than anything else at this point (unless you are a T2K freak, which is understandable - the game is transcendent). Get a Duo-R. Do it.

(Oh, and $50 is too much for a TG-16 unless it has the CD attachment - then it's a steal. It's fine for a Jag.)

Edited by klausien
  • Like 1

You should get a Jag too just to see how you feel. Personally I'd much prefer the Jag over the TG. 16 bit games are cool, but I really started to get excited about video games AFTER the 16 bit era. I really like the Jag for the fact that, although it doesn't have a big library, it does have a nice variety of 16 bit type games and 32 bit type games. The TG could never dream to pull off MANY Games that the Jaguar does. I'm just more impressed with the Jag. I really don't understand when people say there are only a few good games on the Jag, it is just not true. Far from true. I don't know how many times I've had to list the Jags good games but here goes again:

Alien vs Predator

Atari Karts

Attack of the Mutant Penguins

BattleMorph

BattleSphere

Breakout 2000

Brutal Sports Football

Cannon Fodder

CyberMorph

Defender 2000

Doom

Flashback

Gorf Classic

Hyper Force

International Sensible Soccer

Iron Soldier

Iron Soldier 2

I War

Mad Bodies

Missile Command 3D

Myst

NBA Jam Tournament Edition

Painter

Phase Zero

Pinball Fantasies

PitFall The Mayan Adventure

Power Drive Rally

Primal Rage

Protector

Raiden

RayMan

Soul Star

Skyhammer

Soccer Kid

Super Burnout

Syndicate

Tempest 2000

Theme Park

Total Carnage

Towers II Plight of the Stargazer

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

Ultra Vortek

Val D'isére Skiing and Snowboarding

Vid Grid

Wolfenstein 3D

World Tour Racing

Worms

Zero 5

Zool 2

Zoop

Only a few good Jaguar games huh? Ignorant liars. ;) So many Jag haters out there. It's sad. Give me Rayman or Zool 2 over Bonk ANYDAY! :D

• Like 2

Only a few good Jaguar games huh? Ignorant liars. ;) So many Jag haters out there. It's sad. Give me Rayman or Zool 2 over Bonk ANYDAY! :D

Definitely disagree on those over Bonk. The first Bonk is a true classic. Actually, the first two are. Rayman is actually best on the Jag (phenomenal), but Zool 2... can't agree. It's one of the better Amiga inherited games, and a decent platformer, but if you want to play something great in the genre, many Genesis games run rings around it. The Jag does indeed get a bad rap, but outside of about 15-20 games in its library, it's pretty dire unless you want to drop some serious cash.

BUT, to each his own. Like I said, for $50, a Jag is a decent deal. I am a Jag fan despite my poo-poo-ing it over the Turbo; it's just not for everyone.

OP got a pretty good deal on the Turbo with the Turbobooster Plus and Splatterhouse (if its complete) for $50. Absolutely. Enjoy it!

Edited by klausien
  • Like 2