IGNORED

colecovision joystick microswitch modification

Mark_Coleco

Did anyone see this video before? Its cool if they really work. How much would it cost for someone to do that?

I used to do those for customers on Super Action controllers, many many years ago. It worked fantastic and gave the number buttons a nice clicky feel.

In fact I still have a whole little bag full of those microswitches around here somewhere if anyone wants a few. They are super cheap though if you are already ordering some electronic parts, maybe $0.20 each or something like that.

Steve

Did anyone see this video before? Its cool if they really work. How much would it cost for someone to do that?

I used to do those for customers on Super Action controllers, many many years ago. It worked fantastic and gave the number buttons a nice clicky feel.

In fact I still have a whole little bag full of those microswitches around here somewhere if anyone wants a few. They are super cheap though if you are already ordering some electronic parts, maybe $0.20 each or something like that.

Steve

Porbably a partial fix. Long term, I still see probelms with the plastic ring which is the biggest culprit with these controllers. I use my modified Atari Jaguar controller.

-Lee

Steve

Porbably a partial fix. Long term, I still see probelms with the plastic ring which is the biggest culprit with these controllers. I use my modified Atari Jaguar controller.

-Lee

I don't think much of that mod. Destroying that white contact ring is unnecessary since the original dome contacts stick up as high as those switches. Removing the spring would leave the joystick slopping around and not auto centering and there would be no tension. The tact switches where not soldered in the correct locations. They should be at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees. Even if they where mounted correctly and in the proper locations the tact switches are completely unnecessary, all a person has to do is removed the dome contact and inspect it and then lightly file the contact point, put a spot of solder on the contact point, lightly file and then solder the dome back in place and the directional controls will work perfect.

Steve

-Lee

I don't think much of that mod. Destroying that white contact ring is unnecessary since the original dome contacts stick up as high as those switches. Removing the spring would leave the joystick slopping around and not auto centering and there would be no tension. The tact switches where not soldered in the correct locations. They should be at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees. Even if they where mounted correctly and in the proper locations the tact switches are completely unnecessary, all a person has to do is removed the dome contact and inspect it and then lightly file the contact point, put a spot of solder on the contact point, lightly file and then solder the dome back in place and the directional controls will work perfect.

Ok, i tried this mod and yes it works but the problems u stated are true, but all in all it works great.

what i do recommend instead of using the spring (which in turn made the controller go one way or another), I tried a hack job maneuver by putting a GOOD quality electrical tape in between the top of the mushroom hat inside the controller in order to have stopped joystick From slopping around and not auto centering.

When i get a chance i plan to find a foam ring to insert in there instead of the tape.

i dunno its a good mod but yea it does need a bit more refinement.

You mean you wrapped the tape around the post? about 1/2" thick?

Did you have to destroy the white plastic contact ring, like in the video?

Well, i did as per the video, but in retrospect ill have to try it without doing that.

as for the post, yea i put the tape around the post, but i did put it on loosely.

I suggest that if u use that method use a good electrical tape such as 3M not the jap wrap from a dollar store.

I am also trying to find a flexible foam that's shaped like a like a washer.

Edited by Toraborakid