IGNORED

SIO2SD Newbie Questions

Nognir

I got myself a SIO2SD recently and now I have some questions about it.

Also I have to admit that I grew up with a Commodore 64, so I'm not familiar with the Atari 800XL.

I tried some of the recent games but I have a few problems here. So a little helf would be welcome!

So here are my questions:

1. I tried His Dark Majesty and it crashed after the intro screen. Do I have to switch something on my SIO2SD to make it work?

2. I also tried to run Yoomp on my computer but it says, that I have to disable Basic. Can someone tell me how I can do that?

3. I wanted to try Swapz on my Atari 800XL, which game I personally like very much. But I only found an XEX image of the game. How can I convert it to an ATR File or can I use XEX files with my SIO2SD card too?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I have a PAL computer, if this information helps.

Edited by Nognir

3. I wanted to try Swapz on my Atari 800XL, which game I personally like very much. But I only found an XEX image of the game. How can I convert it to an ATR File or can I use XEX files with my SIO2SD card too?

Yes - you can certainly use XEX files with SIO2SD. Just map the XEX file to drive 1 and then reboot the computer.

To "convert" an XEX file to ATR format, you're really just copying the XEX file onto an ATR Atari disk image file. Something like ATRUtil will do the job for you:

AtrUtil.zip

I got myself a SIO2SD recently and now I have some questions about it.

Also I have to admit that I grew up with a Commodore 64, so I'm not familiar with the Atari 800XL.

I tried some of the recent games but I have a few problems here. So a little helf would be welcome!

So here are my questions:

1. I tried His Dark Majesty and it crashed after the intro screen. Do I have to switch something on my SIO2SD to make it work?

2. I also tried to run Yoomp on my computer but it says, that I have to disable Basic. Can someone tell me how I can do that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I have a PAL computer, if this information helps.

Yes to XEX files also atr and xfdicon_lust.gif

Thank you guys for your help! Everything works perfectly now :)

Unfortunately I can't play Crownland which obviously needs more memory than my 800xl has.

Yes, it needs 128k of RAM. A stock 130XE would do. Or any upgrade for the 800 XL.