nofrills100

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an Atari branded 2800?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just picked up some 2800 mint boxes for the games..no games, no system...do I want to collect for the 2800? anyone out there really collect the 2800?

Wasn't the 2800 just a 2600 Jr. but looked like a Sears Video Arcade II and sold in Japan? I didn't think it was a separate system and games. . .

Four controller ports?!

Were all four ever used?

The four were used for paddle games. Since the controllers were duel paddle/joysticks, only one paddle could plug into a port, unlike two with the 2600. In order to play 4-player paddle games, 4 separate duel controllers were needed.

bump...

this thread is going down like a lead balloon...

Since the 2800 was only sold in Japan and didn't do well because of the Nintendo, and they rarely come up for sale ANYWHERE in the world, you're not likely to get many responses. The Sears ones are probably the ones that most people have that uses that plastic shell, so you should probably count them as 2800's for purposes of this thread if you want more replies.

I have my Atari 2800 and Sears Video Arcade II sitting next to each other and they look identical except for the labels. Interestingly, the 2800 was made in Japan and the Video Arcade II was made in the US.

• Like 2

bump...

this thread is going down like a lead balloon...

Since the 2800 was only sold in Japan and didn't do well because of the Nintendo, and they rarely come up for sale ANYWHERE in the world, you're not likely to get many responses. The Sears ones are probably the ones that most people have that uses that plastic shell, so you should probably count them as 2800's for purposes of this thread if you want more replies.

I have my Atari 2800 and Sears Video Arcade II sitting next to each other and they look identical except for the labels. Interestingly, the 2800 was made in Japan and the Video Arcade II was made in the US.

post-357-0-50225500-1315607516_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I didn't catch that. It means a Super Nintendo cord would probably work being 9v ac and using a barrel. Assuming the barrel fits and the .5v isn't a deal breaker. I kind of wish the Arcade II and 2800 didn't change the controller and power cord. Changing them may have caused some of the confusion that caused them to never catch on. Then again the crash had already happened and much more powerful consoles were already out so maybe the end was inevitable.

The Arcade II is better than the 2800 by the way. Just wanted to let everyone know. ;)

• 3 years later...

Don't mean to bump too much here, but this seemed like a relevant post that, if I bumped, would make sense.

I've got an Atari 2800 I imported from Japan, verified working in excellent condition, 2 Atari 2800 controllers loose, the AC Adapter, and...two original Atari 2800 controllers still in their box from someone who had access to Atari's warehouse back in the day. I'm genuinely curious to know whether there's anyone else with a complete 4-player setup for the 2800 out there.

To figure out if it was working fully, I needed to scan the frequency with my cheap-ish Chinese 720p projector until I located the signal since my RF Demodulator doesn't pick up Japanese CH2-3 RF. :) But she's working!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This looks like a terrific alternative to a Flashback 9 for me so I won't have to ever worry about incompatibility with ARM-based games or of third-party controllers like my CX80 trak-ball, plus the ergonomics of the supplied controllers were probably inspired by the CX24 (7800) and CX52 (5200) controllers, and that the console design looks like it was patterned after the 7800 also. Just a 2800 (or in my case the Video Arcade II) in my home theater area (with my other units in the home arcade area and that would be perfect. 

One question how many (Atari-branded) 2800 units were put out as opposed to the Sears rebranded ones?

Already own the Harmony Encore BTW.