IGNORED

BERZERK

Gigabyte

In the documentary Chasing Ghosts, the former world champion Berzerk player observes that Berzerk is like life: you start, and everyone, regardless of skill, eventually dies. The first time I saw the movie, that line stuck with me and I've thought about Berzerk as a metaphor many times. The life and death aspect, however, is true of most video games; I think there is something more elemental about Berzerk, something almost unique that makes the game so fun.

The clean graphics, like many atari games, function as signs/symbols and not as a realistic representation. I only point this out to make it clear that Berzerk on the 360/PS3 with new graphics would not strike the same unconscious chord as the 2600/arcade versions. The solid black background and bright, rainbow colors are the very definition of "arcade-style" graphics, and the Berzerk maze is as black as a nightmare. Running from a horde of attackers is a very common dream, and "being chased" nightmares are usually accompanied by complex hallways, corridors, or a maze of some kind. So in a very/literal real sense, Berzerk, either consciously or subconsciously, reminds the player of a prototypical human nightmare.

Because the enemies are robots, Berzerk also explores relationship between humans and technology. It exploits a rational human fear of destructive, synthetic power. It captured this theme so well, that popular culture would adopt the voice-synth as the default way that robots should talk.

Life can indeed be like a nightmare. Often the forces of the world seem impossibly malevolent, and navigating through the day simply produces another maze in the morning. And when Harsh Reality finally crushes you, it's agents will undoubtedly wear a smile.

In the documentary Chasing Ghosts, the former world champion Berzerk player observes that Berzerk is like life: you start, and everyone, regardless of skill, eventually dies. The first time I saw the movie, that line stuck with me and I've thought about Berzerk as a metaphor many times. The life and death aspect, however, is true of most video games; I think there is something more elemental about Berzerk, something almost unique that makes the game so fun.

The clean graphics, like many atari games, function as signs/symbols and not as a realistic representation. I only point this out to make it clear that Berzerk on the 360/PS3 with new graphics would not strike the same unconscious chord as the 2600/arcade versions. The solid black background and bright, rainbow colors are the very definition of "arcade-style" graphics, and the Berzerk maze is as black as a nightmare. Running from a horde of attackers is a very common dream, and "being chased" nightmares are usually accompanied by complex hallways, corridors, or a maze of some kind. So in a very/literal real sense, Berzerk, either consciously or subconsciously, reminds the player of a prototypical human nightmare.

Because the enemies are robots, Berzerk also explores relationship between humans and technology. It exploits a rational human fear of destructive, synthetic power. It captured this theme so well, that popular culture would adopt the voice-synth as the default way that robots should talk.

Life can indeed be like a nightmare. Often the forces of the world seem impossibly malevolent, and navigating through the day simply produces another maze in the morning. And when Harsh Reality finally crushes you, it's agents will undoubtedly wear a smile.

Later on when the one guy complained the world record holder used a box pattern to achieve his score, it also can be said, when a person plays it safe his entire life and doesn't take chances, has he truly lived?

Very nice. My friends and I always quote him saying, "You can teach a monkey to play four boards, but you can't teach a man to play Berzerk." The story of the two Berzerk players was awesome, it made me want to shoot a video game documentary.

On a couple of side notes:

1. How does one perform the box pattern? I've never been able to find out about it. On the arcade version.

2. Despite how pathetic it is, does anyone else enjoy playing without Evil Otto? On the 2600 I usually play without him for some reason, and I don't know if there is a DIP switch to turn him off in the arcade, but I've never used it.

3. Has anyone ever played a Berzerk or Frenzy cab? I'd like to hear any interesting stories about these games.

4. Frenzy > Berzerk, even if Berzerk resonates literariness.

5. Does anyone else find the 2600 version much, much harder than the arcade? Even on easy? Even despite the fact that the robots don't shoot diagonally on the 2600? I think it's the walls: the 2600 is much more cramped and the controls are somewhat slippery if one isn't careful. Also, the smaller resolution means you are closer to the robots. I will say that on Atari the robots really enjoy killing themselves.

All the small differences between the two most well-known versions of the game make each one uniquely enjoyable to play. I love these games, better than Robotron, imo.

That guy's name is Joel West, and I found this clip on Youtube for anyone interested. WARNING: IT SORT OF SPOILS SOME OF CHASING GHOSTS: BEYOND THE ARCADE so watch at your own risk. It leaves out the part of the story where these two guys don't talk for 20 years because RB beat JW's score and embarrassed him in front of a girl.

Also, I want to be the Berzerk world champion :(

EDIT: The "box pattern" is serious fail, Twin Galaxies needs to not allow it to be used for the world record. They ban cheats all the time, and this qualifies as an outright cheat in my book. Playing normally, the player can easily get a practically impossible board on which any player would die. Box pattern make it possible to score into the 200ks, which probably is not mathematically possible when playing legit.

Edited by Gigabyte

Very nice. My friends and I always quote him saying, "You can teach a monkey to play four boards, but you can't teach a man to play Berzerk." The story of the two Berzerk players was awesome, it made me want to shoot a video game documentary.

On a couple of side notes:

1. How does one perform the box pattern? I've never been able to find out about it. On the arcade version.

2. Despite how pathetic it is, does anyone else enjoy playing without Evil Otto? On the 2600 I usually play without him for some reason, and I don't know if there is a DIP switch to turn him off in the arcade, but I've never used it.

3. Has anyone ever played a Berzerk or Frenzy cab? I'd like to hear any interesting stories about these games.

4. Frenzy > Berzerk, even if Berzerk resonates literariness.

5. Does anyone else find the 2600 version much, much harder than the arcade? Even on easy? Even despite the fact that the robots don't shoot diagonally on the 2600? I think it's the walls: the 2600 is much more cramped and the controls are somewhat slippery if one isn't careful. Also, the smaller resolution means you are closer to the robots. I will say that on Atari the robots really enjoy killing themselves.

All the small differences between the two most well-known versions of the game make each one uniquely enjoyable to play. I love these games, better than Robotron, imo.

1. The box pattern is done that you go through 4 screens in a square manner so, for example, right, down, left, up and repeat ad infinitum. The robots will be in the same place every time you go there.

2. Evil Otto is what makes the game fun! Otherwise, people can take a break on the arcade game for however long they want.

3. I have played both cabs. Nothing special about either one, really. No stories to tell besides they're great games.

4. Frenzy really is > than Berzerk. Frenzy scares the f**k out people, it's so difficult

4. Good observation about 2600 Berzerk. The Vectrex version is particularly nasty. I find the Colecovision Frenzy a great translation.

That is funny about the box pattern - never thought Berzerk had any kind of pattern - the Arcade version kicks my butt.

The 2600 version isnt too hard IMHO. Ive gotten some big scores on it with Otto - however there is a bug in the 2600 version documented on the Twin Galaxies board.

For some reason there is a timer that counts down during inactivity - when the timer hits 0 the game is reset back to attract mode. I got ~172k and folks questioned how I did it since many couldnt get past 100k before time out. There might be some carts that are fixed and others that are not - bottom line is if you dont keep moving then the idle timer slowly counts do your doom - as oyu can see I had an itchy joystick trigger finger :)

Maybe this countdown timer plays into the whole life aspect :D