IGNORED

Swordquest Petition

tandy

I was wondering if there is an online petition trying to get Atari to reinstate the Swordquest competition. If not is there anyone here who has the desire to sign such a petition if formulated. I mean it wouldn't be difficult, all Atari would have to do is sell some dedicated consoles, or plug n'play games with the four games on it; and or release them for the PC, PS3, and Xbox on various online stores.

I'd rather start a petition to get the grand prize back from Jack Tramiel. :ponder:

I believe it's rumored Tramiel has the Philosopher's Stone (Airworld prize), Crown of Life (Waterworld prize) and the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery (grand prize).

Last I heard, the Fireworld winner who got the chalice still has it and the Earthworld winner supposedly melted down the talisman but kept the tiny sword that was on it which is a shame since it was a rare piece of videogame history.

I think that if something like this was started it might be a major turning point in retro gaming. That being said one could say that the treasures made by Atari for the contest are property of the Atari Corporation, and that he technically stole the treasures (the bastard) because share holders own a company not a single person (though I'm not sure Atari was publicly traded)

regardless he should relinquish the treasures, for the good of video game history.

I'd rather start a petition to get the grand prize back from Jack Tramiel. :ponder:

I believe it's rumored Tramiel has the Philosopher's Stone (Airworld prize), Crown of Life (Waterworld prize) and the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery (grand prize).

Last I heard, the Fireworld winner who got the chalice still has it and the Earthworld winner supposedly melted down the talisman but kept the tiny sword that was on it which is a shame since it was a rare piece of videogame history.

They can keep the compitition, I would just like to have and play a working copy of Airworld thats all.

They can keep the sword, I woud just like to have the philosopher's stone! :)

Michael

Funny, since almost everyone is envious that you literally have the Holy Grail of Atari 2600 collecting. The Sword, and Philosophers stone maybe cool, but you have the freaking Holy Grail. Also, thank so much for never melting that down. I find your chalice the greatest Atari 2600 related item out there. Again, you have the freaking Holy Grail of Atari 2600!

• Like 3

First of all, do we know for certain that the Tramiels have the SwordQuest prizes? That's a rumor that's been floating around for years, but without any kind of confirmation, I think it's just another Atari urban legend.

Second, I don't think there's any chance of Atari doing a new SwordQuest contest. That might be of interest to the people on these boards and others like it, but almost nobody else would care. Video game publishers are feeling the economic crunch like everyone else, and they're not about to spend their resources on something that would appeal to such a small audience.

• Like 2

Yeah, since the Holy Grail was a chalice, I guess I do! :)

Michael

wait...wait......@SeaGtGruff You were the winner of the Fireworld Competition?

@OP I dont really care too much about the contest, i just would like to play Airworld. however if there is a petition started of course i'll be apart of it. Anything that expands the Atari community im totally in for :thumbsup:

Edited by SekOner

If I ever hit the lottery for big bucks. I'll make Tramiel and offer for the three pieces he has. :) Like Indy Jones used to say "They BELONG in an museum"...and by museum, I mean my glass case with the rest of the videogame goodies. :P

Yep, that was me. It was a long time ago, in a city far, far away. :)

Michael

Wow that's amazing!! I thinks its really awesome that you're still apart of the community. Oh, how awesome it must be to own such a major part of Atari history. Please never melt it down like Bell did. I think what he did is pretty disgraceful.

First of all, do we know for certain that the Tramiels have the SwordQuest prizes? That's a rumor that's been floating around for years, but without any kind of confirmation, I think it's just another Atari urban legend.

Agreed. I would guess even if Tramiel did have those pieces he would have sold them for scrap weight anyways. Couldn't see him keeping something worth that much as a keepsake with no emotional attachment to it.

• Like 1

Michael

Wow that's amazing!! I thinks its really awesome that you're still apart of the community. Oh, how awesome it must be to own such a major part of Atari history. Please never melt it down like Bell did. I think what he did is pretty disgraceful.

That is a little harsh, he melted it down so he could go to college. I think education is worth more than a video game prize.

• Like 3

Michael

Have you had any interesting offers from collectors for it?

I heard Hardy offered some crazy $$$$ for it, but I just read it somewhere, don't know if it's true?

Michael

That is a little harsh, he melted it down so he could go to college. I think education is worth more than a video game prize.

I too agree that Education is indeed more valuable than a video game keepsake. However i was unaware that, that is what he used the proceeds for. If in fact he did use the proceeds from the scraping it for his education then my apologies for my misunderstanding. Either way it still sucks to no longer have it in existence.

well back in the jag days when i managed a game store i would occasionally talk to gary tramiel, asking him questions like 'when is breakout 2000 coming out? when is avp coming out? where is our shipment of (x)? etc.' and we would talk 2600 from time to time and he joked about the swordquest prizes jack had one time i was asking about the swordquest games continuing on the jag. and this was before i had heard about it anywhere...

Atari reinstating the SwordQuest Competition? don't hold your breath, not the original games anyway.They would have to be redone in the newer graphics and technology of today.With , especially the younger gamers today, they won't look at those games twice without puking all over.It doesn't look real, not lifelike, these graphics suck, you know what I'm getting at right?Folks back then thought the SwordQuest games looked bad, imagine now!I don't recall any gaming competitions today.The "Competitions" as WE knew them, the "good ole days" are gone. :sad:

Edited by Rik

Hey, they sell plenty of retro dedicated consoles, and I look it as it's worth a shot. Atari has been down for more then 15 years, I'm sure Atari would react with a "what do we got to lose". On another note, the pessimism on this notion of bringing back the contest is awful. It's not about prizes, it's about finishing what we started 30 years ago.