IGNORED

Swordquest Petition

tandy

I think it would be cool if someone made Swordquest Airworld and did a contest to go with it.

The prize could be a plastic sword :D

Ha! I have a plastic sword I bought in San Francisco right after winning the FireWorld contest, but don't count on me donating it for the prize-- it has sentimental value! :D

Michael

I heard Hardy offered some crazy $$$$ for it, but I just read it somewhere, don't know if it's true?
Yes, it's true. I turned him down right away, wisely cutting him off before he could pull out a wad of many thousands of dollars (into the five digits), because I might have caved at the sight of it!

You have chosen ... wisely!

grailknight.jpg

Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear that the "Holy Grail" is still in your possession. It's a truly unique piece of video game memorabilia, and given the economics of the game industry today, I don't think we'll see another of its kind again.

Well, I've been working my way through the PAL version of SwordQuest: Earthworld to see it's the same as what was used for the US Contest.

It IS different from the NTSC version and seems to use the level system from the Contest Version however it IS DIFFERENT.

I've been trying to solve the game by using the Competition Rules & Hint Sheet that was given to the contest participants. The first and second clues are pretty obvious, I even checked the answer sheet as well to make sure I was trying the right thing. But the clues don't work with this version of SQ:EW. This first level you DO only have to walk to a room, but NOT the same one. The second level you DO use the same object, but NOT in the same room. And the variances in rooms don't seem to follow a pattern... however I've only reached Level 2 yet...

Without a Rules/Answer sheet I have no way of knowing if the PAL SQ:FW is a contest version or not... I can check to see if its the same as the NTSC or not tho... off I go..

*EDIT*

Update, PAL SQ:FW IS different from NTSC, I wasn't able to trigger clue 02 in the PAL version... but no Idea if its a contest version or not, probably not...

Edited by Torr

I'm always surprised to hear about when anyone has played any of the SwordQuest games, and actually found enjoyment in them.

Here's a fascinating interview with the guy who came up with a few of the concepts in the games, as well as the competition rules and clues:

One of those hyphenated-name guys

Those are some cool documents he's preserved!

I'm always surprised to hear about when anyone has played any of the SwordQuest games, and actually found enjoyment in them.

I did like Earthworld as a kid (we never had Fireworld), so there were a few of us. :D We had the comic book and managed to figure out a few things, although I'd be hard pressed to remember them now. I remember enjoying the games like the waterfall, etc. I don't think we ever "solved" the game, however.

Not sure if this is of use to anyone, I can make a better one.

I've just never been able to find a fireworld map anywhere. Google can not turn up a map of it...

Plenty of guides, and they all say it's based on the 'tree of life' but that doesn't tell you very much... a visual representation helps

post-1745-0-26534000-1304304741_thumb.jpg

I FINALLY got a VCS to call my own. I had a 2600jr growing up that died back in 92 or 93, but now thanks to Zylon I have a light-sixer.

So I was going thru my carts, testing them, when I decide to give SQ:EW a whirl. I have two copies. The first one I tried I was not able to get the '16 4' clue by walking to the Aries room, so I kept walking. Then when I reached the Scorpio room the rainbow clue screen came up, but it did not give the standard 'X Y' clue instead it just showed '1' and played a different tune. Having just recently been testing the PAL ROM of SQ:EW to see if it was the competition cart (which it wasn't) I know that this was the first 'clue' in the PAL ROM.

But this is an NTSC cart, played on an NTSC VCS.

So I Load up my other Cart, I walk to the Aries room and bam, '16 4' clue appears.

Both carts obviously have different coding, but both carts have identical labels (well one cart's end label is much more... bleedy/smeared looking, but the whole cart is generally roughed up more so I'm not sure it's really different or not)

Has anyone else discovered this among the numerous SQ:EW carts that I'm sure are floating around out there?

Do I have a really rare cart?

Can't believe I never noticed that when I was younger... probably cause the beat up cart sat in closet somewhere while the nicer looking one was kept out to have in my collection.

• 1 month later...

I imagine I would have loved the SwordQuest series when I was a kid but coming back to them after Adventure games and RPGs have fully developed on later consoles, they are pretty backwards. Still, I have the manual and comic book for EarthWorld and I keep telling myself that I will actually try to solve it one of these days.

• 1 year later...

Bringing back and finishing the SwordQuest contest here at AA or any other similar community would spark interest, sure.To do this on a grand scale, i don't think so, as no one else outside of the small Atari community would give a rats ass.That's not pessimism if you ask me, just a true fact.And that's not to cut down the idea either, great idea, for Atari game buffs, the ones who would give a rats ass.I seriously doubt Atari would do it.This would be a great project done by some knowledgeable folks here at AA if you will, then yeah it would be possible.A lot of folks hated the SwordQuest games even back when they 1st came out, some might still feel the same way to this day about it.Making a complete SwordQuest, with that i mean release the missing Airworld by someone who has a prototype if that exists?,i don't know, that we could purchase here, now THAT would be awesome!

I'm here in AtariAge for some months now and still finding some great things. :thumbsup:

Yes, the thread is old but the SQ series is much older ;)

So I'd like to ask:

What if this happens? Making the final Sword Quest game with a comic book and finishing the contest with some kind of prize?

As Rik said THAT would be awesome!

I always enjoyed the Swordquest games. I never really knew what I was doing in terms of actually completing the quest, but I always liked them as a sort of fantasy-themed minigame collection. I thought the graphics were good, and some of the rooms were fun to play.

Wow that's amazing!! I thinks its really awesome that you're still apart of the community. Oh, how awesome it must be to own such a major part of Atari history. Please never melt it down like Bell did. I think what he did is pretty disgraceful.

That is a little harsh, he melted it down so he could go to college. I think education is worth more than a video game prize.

You mean an education that you can get most anywhere from a range of prices from free all the way up to whatever the hell you want to pay for it? I'm sure the couple thousand (assuming he get reamed here) really made a difference :roll: but to be brutally honest, while an education is important...a one of a kind piece af the value and historical significance like that will hold more value, and for far longer than any education ever will. That's not harsh, just a fact.

Who's education holds value today? Benjamin Franklin? Einstein? Thomas Edison? Now...what objects from the era that those people were alive in still hold value today?

Just saying....now....what has this bell dude contributed to society that came from his education? (part two, what are the chances it will be relevant after his death)

Awesome! I totally missed this, now with the revival of this topic I noticed it and I can respond, sweet!!

My opinion - Who cares if his education is relivant after his death. You go to school (for the right thing and not something pointless) and you generally make more money, increasing your quality of life and making it worth a lot more than a video game collectable that maybe 500 or so people actually give a rats ass about ;) I doubt he even plays atari anymore, but if he got a good education out of it and landed a great job I would say it was worth it, odds are these days with metal/etc at record prices it's still worth more melted down, lol, not serious of course but you catch my drift :)

Yeah, there are a lot of "if's" in my above statement but a huge factor in people not going to school is money, it's not cheap. Yes "money" is generally just an excuse and you can still do it with a limited income but If melting this thing down was enough for him to get the ball rolling than it was well worth it. The actual numbers differ from what level of education you have but it's averaged around 20k a year MORE with a degree than just high school education. lets times that by 35 years of working, I come up with...$600,000 of additional income...not saying it ended up that way for him but sounds like a good "gamble" to melt it down if you ask me :)