IGNORED

Help me install Rainbow TOS 1.4 - please look at my pics please.

I did some searching and I was not able to find the answer to this.

I took apart my ST and I am wanting to install Rainbow TOS 1.4. This is an original (no drive) 520STm. Trouble is, I don't understand the instructions; they seem to mention every other ST than the original 520ST! There's talk of jumpers??? Sheesh, I don't want to solder/unsolder jumpers! I thought this was a drop-in installation???

Can someone tell me which chips go in which sockets, and if I have to fool with jumpers?

click on any pics to zoom in, please

Here is page 1 of the instructions.....they talk about 520STf and 1040 and Mega and etc...

post-16281-127940295706_thumb.jpg

....and here is page 2, where they only 520 is 520STf (fm?)

post-16281-127940303565_thumb.jpg

.....and here is a pic of MY 520STm motherboard with the stock TOS 1.0 installed.....

post-16281-127940306922_thumb.jpg

.......and here is the same stock TOS, but I rotated the pic 180-degrees to see the writing better and ZOOMED in....

post-16281-127940309613_thumb.jpg

......and here is the new Rainbow TOS chips....

post-16281-127940311856_thumb.jpg

Oh man, I would really appreciate it. I opened things up thinking this would be a 10 second job and I googled and searched these forums and found stuff about TOS and Rainbow TOS but not which chips go in which holes. I've never used anything but TOS 1.0 or 1.2 - whatever was in there.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Edited by wood_jl

I guess this isn't such an easy question to ask. The original 520ST is obviously an unpopular bastard child....and my favorite of the entire series...HA HA HA!

A more general question:

I'm ready to make some guesses and make some tries. Because these are ROM chips, I won't screw anything up by guessing wrong, will I? I tend to think not, but as I realize I don't know enough about electronics to NOT ask!

:)

I would say put the chips in numerical order. Same sequence as the original ones, and ensure the notches on the ICs go the same way as the originals.

So long as the chips are right way around, it shouldn't hurt the machine. Of course, wrong order will mean that the OS isn't mapped in memory properly and in all likelihood will just crash with a white blank screen.

There's TOS upgrade instructions around for the STE. IIRC it involves putting sockets in as the 2.06 chips have a higher pin count - the extra holes and traces are already present. Also involves bridging a jumper.

Here we go - some nice info on 2.06 upgrade: http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/STE_TOS_Upgrade

Edited by Rybags

You only have to change the jumpers if the number of chips of the old TOS is different from the number of chips of the new TOS. It seems both the old and new TOS chips of you are 6 chips so you don't need to change the jumpers.

The only problem is the order of the chips because it is not clearly marked which are the hi and low bank. Luckily putting the chips in in the wrong order, won't damage your ST. It will just not boot TOS.

I looked at my schematics of an 520ST. It seems U2, U3 and U4 is the hi bank (connected to d8...d15) and U5, U6 and U7 is the low bank (connected to d0...d7).

Rom 0 of the glue is connected to U2 & U5, rom 1 to U3 & U6 and rom 2 to U4 & U7.

Thus:

U2: H0

U3: H1

U4: H2

U5: L0

U6: L1

U7: L2

So I think Guitarman has the 0,1,2 order reversed or the ROM0..2 labeling of the GLUE is reversed compared to the ROM numbers.

B.T.W. ROM 3&4 of the glue go to the cartridge port.

Robert

Edit:

I also looked at the schematics of an 1040STE and there is written which chip is which address. ROM0 selects $FE, ROM1 selects $FD and ROM2 selects $FC. Thus the order of ROM0..2 is indeed reversed from the 0...2 order of the chips. Thus guitarman was right with his order:

U2: H2

U3: H1

U4: H0

U5: L2

U6: L1

U7: L0

Edited by rdemming

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

That's same 6 chip set i got, it's weird how the L0 sticker is different than rest though. Don't be scared to turn on the machine to see if you have it right as nothing will happen to it except the screen will just stay white if they are in wrong order.

Oh and that was a very solid 6 year bump!! Cudos to you good sir :grin:

Edited by cjameslv
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Glad I found this thread, had the same problems, no actual photo of the old board, I thought I had

the order sorted but didn't work, I re-flashed the ROM's just in case, I had used P.Putniks ROM splitter

so was confident the images were right.

Using the correct order shown above and it booted fine, thanks for this info.

Goes to show, no matter how old a thread is, it will help someone one day. :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

And glad I found this thread as well! Just helped me with an Atari 520STm (C070243 REV. E).

There is another thread in the forum that had the TOS roms starting with the ROMS from high to low (bottom to top) and that was wrong for this board. White screen when installed of course...

But, the information in this thread has it right at least for my board revision. Switched them around and upgrade from TOS 1.0 to Rainbow TOS successful!

(C070243 REV. E)

H2=U2

H1=U3

H0=U4

L2=U5

L1=U6

L0=U7

Edited by eightbit