IGNORED

NEW Atari 2600 Game Shown

Crimefighter

For the full quote and context, read here.
You make good points across the board. I think you understand where I'm coming from here.

I neither showed the game nor am withholding the game in any attempt to tease people.

Thank you. I really hope no hard feelings come from this thread for you or anyone here. I respect you and your work. (I've always loved High Voltage games BTW). I try to understand where people are coming from. I hope we will all afford each other that courtesy.

Edited by KevinMos3

Some of you guys are ruthless. It seems a lot of you feel you have the right to this game just because it exists. It is his creation, and he can do as he pleases.

Isn't it equally ruthless to come to a place where many hardcore gamers and collectors hang out and go "Looky, shiny new carrot, you can't have it!"? :ponder:

I've been professionally making games since around 1985 and I don't get that sort of thing at all. :?

I let people play it at VGS. I talked about the technical details. I didn't start this thread.

What games have you done? I'm not setting you up for any kind of argument or attack or anything, I really just want to know.

D. Scott Williamson

You make good points across the board. I think you understand where I'm coming from here.

I neither showed the game nor am withholding the game in any attempt to tease people.

Thank you. I really hope no hard feelings come from this thread for you or anyone here. I respect you and your work. (I've always loved High Voltage games BTW). I try to understand where people are coming from. I hope we will all afford each other that courtesy.

Nah, no hard feelings towards anybody. You are all kinder than the press has been towards other games I've done in the past :D

D. Scott Williamson

• Like 1

From now on, no collector can have a perfect set. Most of us won't even be allowed to touch it.

Sure, other games are kept away from the public, but none so important to the era's history or of this quality.

But.

I understand.

The same way I understand there's only one "The Last Supper" painted by the original artist.

Okay, maybe an arcade conversion's not that big of an achievement by society's judgement, but it is art.

If everyone could own it, it would be just one more game.

So I'm willing to take what little I am allowed.

We've lost an experience, and gained a story.

Perhaps even a crusade, for those who need something to protest.

And wisdom.

I know personally, every game I own just became that much more precious to me.

And I respect more, those who created them.

Thank you, for that.

Edited by A Sprite

I'm glad you gave the tidbit about HSW and Yars' Revenge. I always wondered where the idea for that game came from. I never even heard of Star Castle until yesterday. (Which I suppose is testament to the fact that I was always an Atari gamer and not an arcade gamer).

You know what else it reminds me of? Spacemaster X-7.

Edited by KevinMos3

Nah, no hard feelings towards anybody. You are all kinder than the press has been towards other games I've done in the past :D

D. Scott Williamson

scott your welcome to join the atari chat here on mondays to talk more about your games and stuff.

and sometime after I get back from vegas next week, we can do stickam chat sort of like a try out of the new Dateline atari I'm planning to do.

Over 10 million people have bought games I've worked on over the last 20 years.

I wrote Star Castle to prove it could be done and I'm not finished with it. I worked on it intermittently over the last two years, and pretty hardcore over the last four months sacrificing time I could have spent on other projects or with my family.

I am fiercely proud of the nearly finished product and I can't convey how surprised, flattered, and appreciative I am that people want to help me sell it and others legitimately want to buy it. Unfortunately, once I let the genie out of the bottle I can't put it back, and lets be honest with ourselves, once I release it in any form I can expect that it will be more downloaded than purchased which dilutes the effort in my opinion.

For the time being, I'm going to focus on fabricating just this one special cartridge for myself.

Thanks,

D. Scott Williamson

If you wish to release on a Melody board, I can make it essentially impossible to dump. PM me if you want to know more.

• Like 2

From now on, no collector can have a perfect set. Most of us won't even be allowed to touch it.

Sure, other games are kept away from the public, but none so important to the era's history or of this quality.

But.

I understand.

The same way I understand there's only one "The Last Supper" painted by the original artist.

Okay, maybe an arcade conversion's not that big of an achievement by society's judgement, but it is art.

And wisdom.

Thank you, for that.

I envision you sobbing as you type this. Likely in the nude.

But.

I understand.

And wisdom.

Thank you, for that.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the picture in my mind.....

good thing I ate already :D

Really? Why would you do that to yourself?

I typed that thinking "Crap, I'm going to get trolled." And hoping you guys made it worth reading at least.

Sadly, I'm wearing a shirt and jeans.

But, like, they're black, and for all you know I could be slicing my wrists or something.

TL, DR: "Star Castle will always be real to me, man!"

SO you dont want to release it on cartridge at all. Full stop.Ok....let's accept that... :ponder:

because , if you are thinking about it, you are sending mixed signals.....

and even if I dont entirely understand your), reasoning (you are so "scared" of pirating that you prefer not to release your creation at all) let's hope we wont find your "own special personal" cartridge on Ebay because that would discredit you...

If you are getting mixed signals then you are not paying attention.

"I don't have any plans to put Atari 2600 Star Castle cartridges into production as I didn't set out to port a 30 year old coin op game to a 33 year old platform to fill a market need. This game is the result of many months of very hard work and for that I am not inclined to share the code or binary. I will likely put up a website telling a more detailed story than the one here and look for a little publicity. But who knows, if there is a wealthy collector out there who wants it bad enough maybe I'd let my one and only copy go for a small fortune ;-) "

I have not deviated from the position I took in my initial statement. The "small fortune" comment was intended to be a closing joke, not a 6 page forum discussion, but here we are so let's explore it a little further. If someone offered me a million dollars for it I can tell you I would, at the expense of being "discredited", take it in a heartbeat and whoever bought it could publish the source code in the New York Times for all I care. I would be as within my rights to sell one as I would to sell a hundred, a thousand, or zero. Price is what a market may bear, the value may be a million dollars, a penny, or zero. What gives any of us the right to tell another what they may or may not, should, or should not do with a product of their work.

All of this notwithstanding, as I have stated repeatedly, money was never a motivating factor, it is and has been my intention to finish the game and cartridge for myself.

D. Scott Williamson

But.

I understand.

And wisdom.

Thank you, for that.

Wow, I'm sure I can not be compared to Leonardo da Vinci. Thank you for the sentiment.

D. Scott Williamson

I knew this was too good to be truth... :|

Wait, what?

D. Scott Williamson

The whole 'I'm not releasing the game' I mean, I know it is YOUR game (looks excellent by the way), but think of the children!! :D

Please!!

Edited by Osbo

That it's not going to be released? I know. Was thinking it would make a pretty sweet Christmas gift too.

But... let's get centered here, shall we? It's just a game. If we REALLY want to play a version of Star Castle on the 2600, I'm certain the handful of extremely talented programmers we have "in house" could come up with one. And since that would be a more community involved project, perhaps including a bounty *if* need be; there'd be plenty of testers and input going into the final coding that could ultimately ensure a superior product.

Yeah, that's a challenge :)

First gaming option I'd like to put forth would be for 2-player simultaneous play. 1st Joystick port would control the fighter and in the 2nd joystick port you'd have your set of paddles where one would allow for defensive play. Either rotating to fix your shield or sending out a projectile that either neutralizes Player 1 for a set amount of time while you rebuild OR blows pieces off his ship ala Space War. 3 shots and he'd be done :lust:

Edited by save2600

That it's not going to be released? I know. Was thinking it would make a pretty sweet Christmas gift too.

But... let's get centered here, shall we? It's just a game. If we REALLY want to play a version of Star Castle on the 2600, I'm certain the handful of extremely talented programmers we have "in house" could come up with one. And since that would be a more community involved project, perhaps including a bounty *if* need be; there'd be plenty of testers and input going into the final coding that could ultimately ensure a superior product.

Yeah, that's a challenge :)

First gaming option I'd like to put forth would be for 2-player simultaneous play. 1st Joystick port would control the fighter and in the 2nd joystick port you'd have your set of paddles where one would allow for defensive play. Either rotating to fix your shield or sending out a projectile that either neutralizes Player 1 for a set amount of time while you rebuild OR blows pieces off his ship ala Space War. 3 shots and he'd be done :lust:

That would be awesome!

D. Scott Williamson

What a huge deal this has turned into. :ponder:

As others have said, Scott didn't start this thread, he's the one who put all the hard work into it, and he is not finished with it yet.

He's clearly said why he does not want to release the game right now, which are all valid reasons, he's been very open and polite to all of us, and has even said someone else made some good points.

Please, everyone, try to keep your personal feelings under control about this and allow this respected and talented programer to decide on his own what he wishes to do.

Scott has been given all the information and options on what he can do with the game should be choose to, and we don't want to drive away someone again due to some hard feelings.

Scott, what you have done is a amazing piece of work for the underpowered 2600 and you are to be praised for it! :D

Please take your time on finishing it and then decide what you wish to do. A lot of us here would pay to be allowed the honor to play this game and you know what your options are.

What a huge deal this has turned into. :ponder:

As others have said, Scott didn't start this thread, he's the one who put all the hard work into it, and he is not finished with it yet.

He's clearly said why he does not want to release the game right now, which are all valid reasons, he's been very open and polite to all of us, and has even said someone else made some good points.

Please, everyone, try to keep your personal feelings under control about this and allow this respected and talented programer to decide on his own what he wishes to do.

Scott has been given all the information and options on what he can do with the game should be choose to, and we don't want to drive away someone again due to some hard feelings.

Scott, what you have done is a amazing piece of work for the underpowered 2600 and you are to be praised for it! :D

Please take your time on finishing it and then decide what you wish to do. A lot of us here would pay to be allowed the honor to play this game and you know what your options are.

Thanks for your comments.

I take no offence here and I'm not going anywhere. Everyone has been well mannered and besides, I can't tell anyone else what to think. I can only feel proud or lucky that there are people who care this much about games and feel flattered that there is interest in something I've done. As for the conversation here, I find it interesting and don't want to discourage it, although I'll add that I'd be happy to answer any other technical or historical questions about Star Castle as well.

D. Scott Williamson.

ok,lets try to make this topic more interesting

even if I am interesting in the technical aspect

seeing that I cant program

I wont understand your explanation....

but why? Star Castle?

any personal attachment to the game?

and how long do you think you will need for you to consider the game finished?

as you are working on the game irregularly, How many hours will you spend on it?