IGNORED

NEW Atari 2600 Game Shown

Crimefighter

I respect scotts decision for not releasing the game. and he has the same feelings toward pirates that Gorf has which is why he's not

releasing any Jaguar games.

again scott my offer still stands if you want to talk about this in a video chat on stickam.com I can set it up

and you talk about this.

again if he doesn't to release I'm fine with that.

lets not push him into it. after all this game wasn't made with bBasic this was done with hard work and 2600 assembly language over years of work.

now if want to send in rom to people who have the harmony cart, and maybe sign some sort of NDA (non disclosure agreement) where the person who get the rom

can only play it on the harmony and and send it out to others. that will be good as well.

when I do a game I do two versions: a normal bin version that anybody play by downloading it and I cart version which is similar to the bin but has some extra features

(ie laserman'88 the bin version, only had 5 levels the cart version has the 5 plus a bonus level)

I wouldn't discount bBasic because it makes development easy. If a tool makes a process easier you can focus more on the game. I'm planning a 2600 RPG and that sounds like a year long project WITH bBasic. Just because half that time wont be used making a custom kernel doesn't make the effort (or the Developer) trivial.

I think any way the guy releases it they'll be piracy by default. It's a question of if you care to share the joy of Star Castle 2600 with the world or not. Keep it. Flaunt it. That's his call. Doesn't mean he wants to share and that's FINE. The world will go on. Someday another developer may have a more open viewpoint and make yet another version. Maybe this current developer will share his expertise too. Not sharing code and not helping the community are two different things.

Just to be clear: I understand the Developers position. My personal route will be to release the source and ROM for my game if possible. Some distributors like Retrousb don't like that. Hopefully AtariAge is different. If I do reproduce real carts to the public I'll understand my audience. They are the ones that will pay and appreciate an actual manual, cart and box. They will be the ones I'll know are getting the most joy from my art. Pirates can go battle Ninjas for all I care. They're not my audience.

I'm not discounting bbasic. look how long it took me to get laserman'88 done. was just saying that scott's game was made long before bataribasic came out.

(I'm going be planning on working on a third laserman game loosly based on what would have been my second game on the ti,but with a couple changes )

I suggest that folks who are upset by the unavailability move on. Badgering the developer with complaints is unlikely to convince him to change his mind, and if anything just turn him off from the idea of an eventual release.

I agree, can I lock this thread now, so we can just forget about it? :ponder:

Oh, and after getting caught up in talking about my intentions with Stella, I should have said what excellent work you've done with this game. Particularly when one of the 'Atari Gods' said it couldn't be done. Hopefully Stella helped in some small way with your accomplishment, and if so, I've done my job as well :)

I absolutely would not have tried to do it or at least finish it without the conveniences afforded by the Stella debugger, particularly with respect to timing and using conditional breakpoints to place usable breakpoints in banks. Thank you for a professional grade tool.

D. Scott Williamson

I suggest that folks who are upset by the unavailability move on. Badgering the developer with complaints is unlikely to convince him to change his mind, and if anything just turn him off from the idea of an eventual release.

Why lock a thread? why the censorship?

Nothing malicious is being said, no feelings are hurt, I've answered questions about the code, the history, and a couple Lynx questions.

If people don't want to participate in this conversation it will die.

D. Scott Williamson

Nothing malicious is being said, no feelings are hurt, I've answered questions about the code, the history, and a couple Lynx questions.

D. Scott Williamson

Jeez, I even posted code from the game this morning. :(

You're a moderator; you have the power. :D

I see no reason for it to be locked at all. Goodwill has been extended and most of the "peace" and suggestions have already been spoken. Besides, D. Scott Williamson still has a lot to share and seems willing to go forward.

If anyone wants to be a real douche about Mr. Williamson's conditions, then I think they should be dealt with individually or taken with a grain of salt as we often do in society.

-edit-

The subtitle to this thread is a little jerky and assumptive, but funny at the same time. Humor, it's an often mistaken artform :lol:

Edited by save2600

I say someone take this as a challenge to create a public domain or Creative Commons version. Solidcorp has already posted some tricky code and seems pretty cool. How about "Star Cathedral" as an homage to Eric S. Raymond :)

Oh, and, I guess Dan Iacovelli wasn't knocking bBasic or poor newbs like me. My bad :)

Edited by theloon
  • Like 3

I have an idea that can limit a release to this community that might work.

The harmony (and melody boards) has some sort of enhancements (Voodoo magic I think) that currently only those 2 hardware devices can do. If the program makes some specific calls (incantations) to that magic hardware, it will at least ensure that the program can only run on officially purchased melody boards, or harmony users.

I blatanly do not understand the hardware enough to know for sure, but from what I have read on this site, it sounds feasable.

If I am horribly wrong, or remotely correct, please try to explain it to me. (use small words!)

maybe a new thread on this topic would be a good idea?

Swapping 2600 calls for ARM calls in the Harmony might work short-term. The problem is someone is gonna search and replace those calls back to standard 2600 functions.

What might work is some insidious DRM implanted in the Harmony BIOs that decrypts ROMs with a key only Batari and the game Developer knows.

I see no reason for it to be locked at all. Goodwill has been extended and most of the "peace" and suggestions have already been spoken. Besides, D. Scott Williamson still has a lot to share and seems willing to go forward.

If anyone wants to be a real douche about Mr. Williamson's conditions, then I think they should be dealt with individually or taken with a grain of salt as we often do in society.

-edit-

The subtitle to this thread is a little jerky and assumptive, but funny at the same time. Humor, it's an often mistaken artform :lol:

I hadn't noticed the subtitle to this thread until now. I don't know who added that or when but that is pretty mean spirited and not something I would typically expect on Atari Age.

D. Scott Williamson

• Like 2

I say someone take this as a challenge to create a public domain or Creative Commons version. Solidcorp has already posted some tricky code and seems pretty cool. How about "Star Cathedral" as an homage to Eric S. Raymond :)

Oh, and, I guess Dan Iacovelli wasn't knocking bBasic or poor newbs like me. My bad :)

I think that's a great idea. I'd encourage anyone to try to do something hard naything - it's win win. If you succeed you will have a version that you will be more comfortable sharing and if you do not, you will no doubt learn plenty along the way.

D. Scott Williamson

Scott, I didn't say this before. The game looks fantastic. I know you said it isn't finished yet so it will be even better once you have done so. I am very curious to see your completed cartridge for it as well. I know squat about programming so I can't even understand how much you must have worked on this but you must be happy with the results of your efforts as a programmer. Congratulations on accomplishing what was felt to be impossible for the 2600! I hope we get to see more as you keep working on it. As I did say before, it is your decision whether to share this by selling it later on. One thing is for sure though, now the community knows it is doable and not impossible. Someone else may be able to create yet another version of this game! As my favorite Vulcan says, there are always possibilities!

I hadn't noticed the subtitle to this thread until now. I don't know who added that or when but that is pretty mean spirited and not something I would typically expect on Atari Age.

It's true though, and it will be a service to future readers so they don't have to read through 9 pages of posts to get to the end of the matter.

• Like 2

I agree about the subtitle; it's uncalled for and should be taken off.

If this many people really want a version of 2600 Star Castle (or any other game) this badly, why doesn't one of them buckle down and build it themselves? As someone else remarked to me once, there are not enough doers and too many talkers/wishers/daydreamers on AtariAge lately. Classic computing and gaming should be about enjoying these old machines and tinkering with them, writing your own code, and taking pride in seeing what you can make them do. Now it sometimes seems to be all about crowds of people demanding that somebody else create games for them, or demanding that programmers fork over the games they've created for their own enjoyment.

• Like 1

Classic computing and gaming should be about enjoying these old machines and tinkering with them, writing your own code, and taking pride in seeing what you can make them do.

Honestly the vast majority of people on these boards do not have the expertise to tinker with a 2600, much less write code for it.

Now it sometimes seems to be all about crowds of people demanding that somebody else create games for them, or demanding that programmers fork over the games they create for their own enjoyment.

I have no doing ability whatsoever, but I take what I can get from the new developers and I enjoy those. I agree that people do get too riled up and make too many demands of people that are putting the hard work into this stuff.

• Like 2

Swapping 2600 calls for ARM calls in the Harmony might work short-term. The problem is someone is gonna search and replace those calls back to standard 2600 functions.

What might work is some insidious DRM implanted in the Harmony BIOs that decrypts ROMs with a key only Batari and the game Developer knows.

I realize that, but if it made call to an advanced funtion (higher voodoo) that required the ARM function? (Is that possible) It is amazing how many protection schemes are defeated by NOPs.

Anyway, I hope Star Castle get's completed and we get to see the finished product included the cartridge. And hope even more we get the option to play it, somehow!

Hello,

I would like to first extend a well-deserved compliment. This work looks very professional, and I think it's brilliantly done.

From the youtube video, the programming does some fascinating things that make programmers scratch their heads.

Including myself. I had to read your commentary to understand how you did some "tricks".

So, my hat is off.

You may not be aware, but I am also a 2600 programmer.

I would just like to share my experiences from programming 2 2600 titles.

"Pressure Gauge" was my first. I wrote that back in college because I was told that "the 2600 was the most difficult system to program for".

I love a challenge. :) I spent a lot of time on it, and got a finished product out the door pretty quickly.

At the time, there were very few homebrews (less than 20). Edtris and Okie Dokie had opened up the possibilities for people to try harder.

So, I joined the ranks, albeit with a "not too powerful" title.

My second game was only done last year. It was "Mean Santa". Honestly, "Pressure Gauge" is quite outdated in comparison.

It's blocky, kind of ugly, and is nothing graphically when compared to the modern achievements that today's homebrewers can make.

"Mean Santa" was an attempt to right those wrongs. When the opportunity came my way, I took it.

And, to be honest, I am pretty happy with the results. I too had an 8K limitation, which is a grueling constraint.

But, the game I believe has its fun parts and is quite playable.

What I am curious about on this thread is all of this info about ROM thievery.

"Mean Santa" was released (and is still available through a certain channel).

Yet, I have not seen anyone pirate it and make their own hacks/copies. And, even if they did, it wouldn't matter.

The atariage community and Digital Press were where the announcement was made.

People saw the game, respected my wishes that the ROM not be publicly available, and just decided to buy it and play it.

The publicity seemed to speak for itself-- people liked it, and others jumped in to purchase.

There are some royalties, yes, but again, it's not enough to make up for the 1 year of planning and on-again off-again coding.

You can never make up the hours it takes. It is an effort of your own personal challenge, and of love. And, an understanding spouse. :)

I have heard of people doing their own illegal releases of games in this community.

However, from my perspective (which may be wrong), it is more likely to happen in these conditions:

1) The ROM is released (prematurely, or as a demo version before the real work is done)

2) The author does not speak up saying "please don't release the ROM. I made copies you can play, but they're for you"

3) The amount of copies is limited.

"Mean Santa" is still available, and I am unaware of any piracy actions happening. People in the community have been very respectful.

Even if they weren't, though, it wouldn't matter. It's unlimited (you can still buy it), and it's cheap. You want a copy? Great!

Head here, and plop down 15 bucks and shipping, and it's yours: http://2600connection.atari.org/msorder.html

So, if people want to play it, they can. Pirates are going to find no reason to mess with this.

And, when the ROM eventually does get out there, it won't matter. Sure, maybe some guy will play it "for free" at that point.

But, that doesn't matter to me. What mattered was getting the hundred+ copies into eager player's hands.

And, honestly, my thoughts on it are this-- personal drive is awesome. Having people see a demo and commenting is nice.

But, when it's in the players hands? That completes the feeling. This community here is UNBELIEVABLE.

Not everyone here can program (only a few), and the appreciative comments roll in like a waterfall.

And then... even stranger things happen.

- A weird bug is found that you didn't catch in hours upon hours of testing.

- Somebody spends 9 hours on your game in a row and makes an impossible high score.

- A magazine from another country reviews it, and you can share that with your friends.

The community here is very, very grateful when they're "involved". I think they're wonderful.

Now, I'm not trying to persuade to you either way. Your wishes are your wishes.

You don't have to release the ROM. Heck, I wouldn't even consider that at this stage (since that IS detrimental for now).

What I don't understand is the paranoia of encryption for keeping pirates at bay.

There are services that do unlimited releases at exceptional prices (Atariage is one of them).

Such things mean that 90% of produced copies will end up in appreciative hands, and 10% may go to people who want to do their own choosing to it.

And, if one of those 10% guys makes illegal copies, they'll be nothing compared to the efforts put into boxes/instruction manuals that these guys can do.

And, who would want to buy that piece of crap? Oddly enough, most people here are looking for a collector's piece. A blank cart that says "Mean Santa" on it isn't going to sell at all (especially, when a real version is that cheap).

But, getting back to those 90% of the community that gets to play your agem--- wow! What a community.

I have no regrets for distributing "Mean Santa" and have not seen the problems worried about in this thread.

Maybe it'll happen, but by now, everyone who wanted a copy has one, and that was what really mattered.

And, if anyone does pirate "Mean Santa", I know the community here has my back and will let me know immediately.

We'll get the guy. :)

On another topic, I have one other suggestion that you may wish to consider.

You could always set up a website that plays the rom through that JStella (?) emulator.

People can try your game on a browser, and not be able to download the ROM.

That seems to allow those 90% can play and give feedback, without any of the drawbacks.

If you have not considered that as an option, I would recommend it.

That may be your "middle ground" that you should seek, at least at this point.

Anyway, in closing, it looks great, and I am impressed with your software trickery.

"Welcome aboard!"

-John

D. Scott Williamson

I heard you're involved with The Conduit series? Correct me if I'm wrong. The rest of this post is going to appear amazingly silly.

The first game in the series was an attempt to prove the Wii was an underrated piece of hardware. It failed by many accounts, due to a lack of stand out moments and severe repetition.

Now the second title is on the way, and looks to make good on the promises of the first. Reading up on it, reveals the quote that nothing makes it in unless it actually excites the team.

What generates excitement in creating a world? What's the difference between a good design and a bad?

How does one stand out in a sea of me-too titles?

Edited by A Sprite

Is there a way to make the tabs stay in the posts? It keeps collapsing my code left.

Enclose your code in

tags (omit the spaces), or just select the code and click on this button:

post-6315-12798595876_thumb.jpg

Clicking the button with nothing selected will insert the opening and closing tags at the current cursor position.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Hello,

I would like to first extend a well-deserved compliment. This work looks very professional, and I think it's brilliantly done.

From the youtube video, the programming does some fascinating things that make programmers scratch their heads.

Including myself. I had to read your commentary to understand how you did some "tricks".

So, my hat is off.

You may not be aware, but I am also a 2600 programmer.

I would just like to share my experiences from programming 2 2600 titles.

"Pressure Gauge" was my first. I wrote that back in college because I was told that "the 2600 was the most difficult system to program for".

I love a challenge. :) I spent a lot of time on it, and got a finished product out the door pretty quickly.

At the time, there were very few homebrews (less than 20). Edtris and Okie Dokie had opened up the possibilities for people to try harder.

So, I joined the ranks, albeit with a "not too powerful" title.

My second game was only done last year. It was "Mean Santa". Honestly, "Pressure Gauge" is quite outdated in comparison.

It's blocky, kind of ugly, and is nothing graphically when compared to the modern achievements that today's homebrewers can make.

"Mean Santa" was an attempt to right those wrongs. When the opportunity came my way, I took it.

And, to be honest, I am pretty happy with the results. I too had an 8K limitation, which is a grueling constraint.

But, the game I believe has its fun parts and is quite playable.

What I am curious about on this thread is all of this info about ROM thievery.

"Mean Santa" was released (and is still available through a certain channel).

Yet, I have not seen anyone pirate it and make their own hacks/copies. And, even if they did, it wouldn't matter.

The atariage community and Digital Press were where the announcement was made.

People saw the game, respected my wishes that the ROM not be publicly available, and just decided to buy it and play it.

The publicity seemed to speak for itself-- people liked it, and others jumped in to purchase.

There are some royalties, yes, but again, it's not enough to make up for the 1 year of planning and on-again off-again coding.

You can never make up the hours it takes. It is an effort of your own personal challenge, and of love. And, an understanding spouse. :)

I have heard of people doing their own illegal releases of games in this community.

However, from my perspective (which may be wrong), it is more likely to happen in these conditions:

1) The ROM is released (prematurely, or as a demo version before the real work is done)

2) The author does not speak up saying "please don't release the ROM. I made copies you can play, but they're for you"

3) The amount of copies is limited.

"Mean Santa" is still available, and I am unaware of any piracy actions happening. People in the community have been very respectful.

Even if they weren't, though, it wouldn't matter. It's unlimited (you can still buy it), and it's cheap. You want a copy? Great!

Head here, and plop down 15 bucks and shipping, and it's yours: http://2600connection.atari.org/msorder.html

So, if people want to play it, they can. Pirates are going to find no reason to mess with this.

And, when the ROM eventually does get out there, it won't matter. Sure, maybe some guy will play it "for free" at that point.

But, that doesn't matter to me. What mattered was getting the hundred+ copies into eager player's hands.

And, honestly, my thoughts on it are this-- personal drive is awesome. Having people see a demo and commenting is nice.

But, when it's in the players hands? That completes the feeling. This community here is UNBELIEVABLE.

Not everyone here can program (only a few), and the appreciative comments roll in like a waterfall.

And then... even stranger things happen.

- A weird bug is found that you didn't catch in hours upon hours of testing.

- Somebody spends 9 hours on your game in a row and makes an impossible high score.

- A magazine from another country reviews it, and you can share that with your friends.

The community here is very, very grateful when they're "involved". I think they're wonderful.

Now, I'm not trying to persuade to you either way. Your wishes are your wishes.

You don't have to release the ROM. Heck, I wouldn't even consider that at this stage (since that IS detrimental for now).

What I don't understand is the paranoia of encryption for keeping pirates at bay.

There are services that do unlimited releases at exceptional prices (Atariage is one of them).

Such things mean that 90% of produced copies will end up in appreciative hands, and 10% may go to people who want to do their own choosing to it.

And, if one of those 10% guys makes illegal copies, they'll be nothing compared to the efforts put into boxes/instruction manuals that these guys can do.

And, who would want to buy that piece of crap? Oddly enough, most people here are looking for a collector's piece. A blank cart that says "Mean Santa" on it isn't going to sell at all (especially, when a real version is that cheap).

But, getting back to those 90% of the community that gets to play your agem--- wow! What a community.

I have no regrets for distributing "Mean Santa" and have not seen the problems worried about in this thread.

Maybe it'll happen, but by now, everyone who wanted a copy has one, and that was what really mattered.

And, if anyone does pirate "Mean Santa", I know the community here has my back and will let me know immediately.

We'll get the guy. :)

On another topic, I have one other suggestion that you may wish to consider.

You could always set up a website that plays the rom through that JStella (?) emulator.

People can try your game on a browser, and not be able to download the ROM.

That seems to allow those 90% can play and give feedback, without any of the drawbacks.

If you have not considered that as an option, I would recommend it.

That may be your "middle ground" that you should seek, at least at this point.

Anyway, in closing, it looks great, and I am impressed with your software trickery.

"Welcome aboard!"

-John

Inspiring. Thank you. I know I sound unreasonably selfish to some people, I can't help but say that's what I want to do with this project for now.

The part about the understanding wife should be in a large bold typeface :)

D. Scott Williamson

Is there a way to make the tabs stay in the posts? It keeps collapsing my code left.

Enclose your code in

tags (omit the spaces), or just select the code and click on this button:

post-6315-12798595876_thumb.jpg

Clicking the button with nothing selected will insert the opening and closing tags at the current cursor position.

Thanks a million, I knew it had to be there somewhere.

D. Scott Williamson

D. Scott Williamson

I was going to hold back on a few questions, but you're a surprisingly good sport, and it's rare to pick at the mind of someone who does this for a living.

I heard you're involved with The Conduit series? Correct me if I'm wrong. The rest of this post is going to appear amazingly silly.

The first game in the series was an attempt to prove the Wii was an underrated piece of hardware. It failed by many accounts, due to a lack of stand out moments and severe repetition.

Now the second title is on the way, and looks to make good on the promises of the first. Reading up on it, reveals the quote that nothing makes it in unless it actually excites the team.

What generates excitement in creating a world? What's the difference between a good design and a bad?

How does one stand out in a sea of me-too titles?

I'm not sure an Atari 2600 forum is an appropriate place for me to get into too much detail about a Wii title and there is a limit to what I can say about Conduit2 and my work at High Voltage. I will try to keep my answer brief and if you like you can send me a personal message.

I am the head of the Advanced Technology Group at High Voltage Software in Hoffman Estates Il. (Thanks Selgus for hiring me!) It's my job to manage the team that invents, extends, and maintains our technology, and I am an active programmer on the team. We have multiple game engines on multiple platforms. Any given day I can work on any combination of PS2, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, PC and some I can't talk about. My team was responsible for creating the Wii graphics pipeline and tools for The Conduit. When it shipped I believe we were one of a handful of developers in the world at that time with such a flexible, powerful, and efficient graphics pipeline and toolset. We also did a lot of work optimizing things behind the scenes, at times writing a lot of power PC assembly to squeeze any performance we could out of the not quite next gen Wii. In those technical areas in which my team and I were involved I believe we were successful beyond any expectation. Since then we have further extended our graphics capabilities and optimizations on the Wii and it is to this day some of the work that I am most proud of.

The company is acutely aware of what was more or less successful in the first title and has really focused efforts on new features that will address everything you mentioned and more. Believe it or not, I see less of Conduit2 than I did of The Conduit mostly because all the tools and tech work most of the time now and they don't need as much help from ATG, but I can say that some of the levels are breathtaking. The concept artists, production artists, and design have been working really hard and the spaces and themes are stunningly beautiful especially for a Wii. We developed the first title along with the technology and there were a lot of growing pains and rework. Now the tech and tools are mature and the artists are experienced, the resulting quality and productivity are visibly improved. I can't say too much more, snoop around the web for more specific info, the game did show at E3.

I'm a technologist, I haven't done game design in a long time and it wasn't my strongest suit, so I am going to stick to talking about what I know about :)

As far as me too titles, it's my opinion that first person shooters are still underrepresented on the Wii as a percentage of titles overall as compared to the PC, PS3, and Xbox360. It's a viable game genre. Most importantly, if you are going to do anything do the best you can all the time. Always do everything you can to be the best, because if you are, then the others are the also rans.

One more thing - epic games are rarely epic on the first version, consider Unreal, GTA, Burnout... Quake came from Doom which came from Wolfenstein. I'm not so vein as to tell you that Conduit2 or any other title is guaranteed to be the next big hit, but if you get a good start and keep reinvesting in a title, the chances of creating something great and just maybe hitting commercial critical mass get better.

D. Scott Williamson

(sorry, I guess I didn't keep it as short as I had liked, I hope this wasn't too preachy)

Edited by solidcorp