IGNORED

Turbo Basic FONTS

paladina

Help with FONTS Space

Ok I use very slim text fonts (only 3 pixel for Y), standart is 8 pixels and I need to become smaller space between the symbols, how can I do it please?

I use Turbo Basic 1.5, Graphics 15, Command TEXT x,y,my text

How to do smaller space between the symbols (poke for Y?) - not standart 8 pixels, but only 4 ?

Thx.

cz8f.zip

You must use text for every character then:

F.e. only using 4 pixels horizontal size. Then don't do TEXT X,Y,A$ but do this: FOR L=1 TO LEN(A$):TEXT X+L*4,Y,A$(L,L):NEXT L

You should design your font with all 'letters' in left-most position, f.e. A:

This is only simple example. If you're interested in using a font with variable width for each character, then define a table of widths somewhere, and recompute X everytime one character is text-plotted.

I have done what you are trying to do in Turbobasic.. I used a fast ML routine to preparse strings of chars into bitmaps, and then write them to the screen bitmap. Of course, the routine dropped the rightmost 4 bits of each character, so that the spacing would be correct.

Unfortunately, that was back in about 1989 or 90.. I have no idea where the disk is that I saved it on.

You must use text for every character then:

F.e. only using 4 pixels horizontal size. Then don't do TEXT X,Y,A$ but do this: FOR L=1 TO LEN(A$):TEXT X+L*4,Y,A$(L,L):NEXT L

You should design your font with all 'letters' in left-most position, f.e. A:

This is only simple example. If you're interested in using a font with variable width for each character, then define a table of widths somewhere, and recompute X everytime one character is text-plotted.

Yes, this I use before, but there is problem with graphics, its make on my background picture black space ! (as its standard writing lenght of text). Then any else sample, please??

The TEXT-Function in TBXL work internally only with 8*8 Pixel-Blocks like the Standardsize of Character-Sets. This mean, all not set Bits will Display in the Background-Color and will deleting the Display at this place.

If you want a enhanced TEXT-Function you have to write it by your self, most powerful in Assembler.

METalGuy66 give you a useful hint.

Edited by EightBitWitch

...Yes, this I use before, but there is problem with graphics, its make on my background picture black space ! (as its standard writing lenght of text). Then any else sample, please??

Instead of the "TEXT"-command you can also use the TEXTPLOT routines, as described in compute!'s 2nd book of atari.

...Yes, this I use before, but there is problem with graphics, its make on my background picture black space ! (as its standard writing lenght of text). Then any else sample, please??

Instead of the "TEXT"-command you can also use the TEXTPLOT routines, as described in compute!'s 2nd book of atari.

Look over here: www.atariarchives.org/c2ba/page160.php

This routine offers transparant drawing of fonts in gfx-mode.

There must be source code out there for a fast ML text plot routine which works across different graphics modes. I don't have time to write one from scratch now, but I'd be happy to hack one up to OR with the background and use only the leftmost 4 bits.

There was a set of routines called "Screens", I believe, that did most of that. I think there was a Bellcom disk of it.

Realy nice, but I need this routine for GRAPHICS 15 + 16 (31) where I load my .MIC with DLI. There I use my font upper. OK? Some help pls.

If your text is not in line with any of your graphics, then why not Antic 4 for the the text portion? Then you won't need any special routine.

Edited by MrFish

There is another Text-Routine I use in my BOSS-X - GUI ... the routine is written by Ron Hamilton (but I lost the sources). You can download the routine within the whole BOSS-X-GUI (it's open source, cuz it's written in Turbo-BASIC) here: http://andymanone.dyndns.org/atarixle/download/bossx/bossx3.zip ...

The routine (PPTEXT.BML) supports proportional-font (additional information needed). you can take a look into the sources of the BOSS-Applications, to learn, how to use the routine (PROCedure TEXT).

There is another Text-Routine I use in my BOSS-X - GUI ... the routine is written by Ron Hamilton (but I lost the sources). You can download the routine within the whole BOSS-X-GUI (it's open source, cuz it's written in Turbo-BASIC) here: http://andymanone.dyndns.org/atarixle/download/bossx/bossx3.zip ...

The routine (PPTEXT.BML) supports proportional-font (additional information needed). you can take a look into the sources of the BOSS-Applications, to learn, how to use the routine (PROCedure TEXT).

I try the PLOTTEXT routine, but its dont work as I need IT! in the BOSS applic. I dont find how it use, after start I become Error and there is much programs... if I use TB TEXT command TEXT X,Y,text there is X only 1 pixel position, int PLOTTEXT is it 8 (as one symbol), can anybody remake this routine please? Or save there only the text routine with easy sample from BOSS Applications? Thx :D

TPLOT.zip