IGNORED

Turbo Debuts at CGE!

Albert

The original game is actually based on the Kaboom kernel. So if you can imagine Kaboom with cars instead of bombs then you're 75% of the way there. Thankfully the enhanced version fixes most of the problems with the original prototype. Like Al said, the original wasn't that much fun, mostly because it was brutally hard. I think everyone will be happy with the enhanced port.

Tempest

I'd be happy to sell out of the copies I am bringing to the show. The number I'm bringing is more than 100 but less than 200. I will say up front that there WILL be copies available after CGE even if I do sell out, but they may not be available for another month or so afterward, as I have to acquire and prepare another batch of Coleco carts. I expect the "second" batch (available online) will sell fairly quickly...

Fair enough, and thanks for being upfront, Al. I have to say I would NOT be surprised if you DID sell out at the show. And kudos again - of all the past CGE "vaporware" releases, this HAS to be the one the most thought has been put into. Just excellent!

...if you're interested and you're attending CGE, I'd TRY to get my hands on a copy there.

TRY, Albert??? "Do, or do not. There IS no TRY!"

The original game is actually based on the Kaboom kernel. So if you can imagine Kaboom with cars instead of bombs then you're 75% of the way there. Thankfully the enhanced version fixes most of the problems with the original prototype. Like Al said, the original wasn't that much fun, mostly because it was brutally hard. I think everyone will be happy with the enhanced port.

Tempest

Any chance of a sneak preview video on youtube or something? I'd love to just see it :)

Tempest

Any chance of a sneak preview video on youtube or something? I'd love to just see it :)

The programmer uploaded a video of the original version awhile back:

Keep in mind this is the original prototype and not the Enhanced version we've created.

..Al

Yeah I should have been clearer. I was looking for a sneak preview vid of the enhanced version. I'd really be interested in seeing it :)

Keep in mind this is the original prototype and not the Enhanced version we've created.

..Al

Yeah I should have been clearer. I was looking for a sneak preview vid of the enhanced version. I'd really be interested in seeing it :)

No peeking!

The original game is actually based on the Kaboom kernel.

The game plays a bit like Kaboom, but it's nowhere based on it. I hope it wasn't me that made you think so. ;)

And thanks to Albert for lowering the high expectations. We only tried to move the game into the direction where it might have been gone, based on the existing code without too many speculations. The result is Ok and well playable, but definitely not meets the standard of the best modern homebrews.

Seeing these awesome homebrews is the best thing to happen to the Atari 2600 since 1984! Nice work and thanks to everyone involved! :thumbsup:

It's awesome to see a new generation getting into these machines and people of the original generation getting back into them and seeing the value in them again. I think that speaks for the quality of the machines and the importance of things like gameplay in the design of games. You can even see this in the phone arena, as people are designing more casual games that may not push the hardware, but are still fun to play and easy to learn. This is why the homebrewing community will always be important in my opinion.

Thanks guys, for giving us some idea of what to expect. The action in that prototype video looks a lot like Enduro... but less exciting and no turns in the road, (just a fixed turn on some stages).

I'm still looking forward to getting it and I'm really glad it has been "enhanced."

Don't get people too excited, it's 2600 nudity we're talking about here.. :ponder:

..Al

GROSS. Just like that Panda-penis game. I am offended.

That just reminded me of something ...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/26211-petition-against-ne146s-avatar

:lol:

That is too funny. Hard to believe people get offended from 8-bit nudity. Almost as bad as when people used to make nude pictures from control codes and ASCII on daisy-wheel printers. Basically it would print over and over to make the shades. They were actually kind of neat. Needless to say, people would get in an uproar when they would go to the printers to find someone had printed one out =)