IGNORED

MOD playing on 800XL / 65XE

yerzmyey

OK then. So we prepare a demo (plus on-line album) made for stock Atari 800XL / 65XE.

This is a teaser in MP3. http://8bc.org/music/yerzmyey/Tokyo+Gondwana+%28Electro+on+ATARI%29/

Recorded from pure 800XL.

The demo will be downloadable next month (after the G2010 party).

Thanx to Epi for adapting Neo-Tracker player for 64Kb machines and to Mono for additional corrections in the player.

PS: The song is dedicated to LoTek Style, an Atari ST electro-musician. :)

OK then. So we prepare a demo (plus on-line album) made for stock Atari 800XL / 65XE.

This is a teaser in MP3. http://8bc.org/music/yerzmyey/Tokyo+Gondwana+%28Electro+on+ATARI%29/

Recorded from pure 800XL.

The demo will be downloadable next month (after the G2010 party).

Thanx to Epi for adapting Neo-Tracker player for 64Kb machines and to Mono for additional corrections in the player.

PS: The song is dedicated to LoTek Style, an Atari ST electro-musician. :)

hmmm,

and where/when can I get the Neo-Tracker version for 64k machines ?!? Or was this version only (exclusively) made for this demo ?!? The latest Neo-Tracker I have ( version 1.8 ) requires a minimum of 128k RAM...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

hmmm,

and where/when can I get the Neo-Tracker version for 64k machines ?!? Or was this version only (exclusively) made for this demo ?!? The latest Neo-Tracker I have ( version 1.8 ) requires a minimum of 128k RAM...

-Andreas Koch.

Hello Andreas.

I didn't manage to "force" ;) Epi to make a 64K version of the editor. However he agreed to make a proper player for 64K computers (there wasn't such a thing before). I think there are still users of 64Kb and I don't want them to be 'abandoned'. ;)

Now - if anybody has Atari 130XE or higher, and if he keeps his music in about 45-50Kb, then he can use his music in any 800XL/65XE own program by using the player. I think it will be released along with the demo, for people to use in games/demos. Next month of course.

Regards,

Y

I have a question..

Is that MP3 the actual raw recorded output of a stock ATARI with no "post production" work (eg. boosting, normalizing, etc.) done after the fact?

If that is really the unaltered output of POKEY, then I am pretty impressed. It sounds like a half-sample converted AMIGA mod..

I have a question..

Is that MP3 the actual raw recorded output of a stock ATARI with no "post production" work (eg. boosting, normalizing, etc.) done after the fact?

If that is really the unaltered output of POKEY, then I am pretty impressed. It sounds like a half-sample converted AMIGA mod..

What "recorded from pure 800XL" means ;)

That's amazing.. I emailed that link to several people (long time atari/C= musician guys) and they were impressed.

Just when you think youve heard/seen everything that can be squeezed out of the "little" ATARI, someone blows away the previously assumed limits..

Hello guys

Imagine what you can do, if you'ld add an extra Pokey, some booster circuitry and 1MB of extended memory!

sincerely

Mathy (who'll be GDRVVF. (Grinning, Ducking and Running, Very Very Fast) :D :D :D )

Well, if You add the second POKEY, You will still have only 4 channels (CPU can't handle more) HOWEVER - 2 pokeys are very required for this playback. The problem is:

pokey has 4 channels but it plays digital sound OK only with 2 channels. When You add one more digi-channel or 2 more, then there start to appeare very ugly problems with sound-quality (distortions appeare, sadly). Even more strange is - they appeare not every time. For instance the song mentioned above is recorded from only one pokey machine and it works OK. However I wrote 6 songs for the demo and some of them having difficulties with clear playing digi-sound.

We still don't know yet what exactly causes it (presumably some certain samples' Hz).

So when You play such music on 2 pokeys, it will work much more clear because only 2 channels are occupied (2 on one pokey and 2 on the other one).

As for 1Mb - You would be able to play most of Amiga MODs (not all of them because - as far as I remember - NeoTracker doesn't support _every_ ProTracker's commands). But still it would be vast amount of MODs.

Edited by yerzmyey

I have a question..

You mean maximalizing. No, I didn't use it. Maximalization would interfere with original sound.

The demo with all 6 songs will be available next week, probably.

You will be able to judge by Yourself.

However please keep in mind that 8bit Atari machines are very varied. Also sound coming from them might be different, on each computer. We were testing 4 machines for the recording. Finally our choice was Atari 800XL, among others, like Atari 600XL (64Kb), Atari XEGS and Atari 65XE.

The program automatically recognizes one pokey or dual pokey setup (if one has hardware switch for dual pokey, he has to switch it ON).

As for manual setup, it will be also available to play the music via COVOX, for 8-bit sound-quality.

We wanted the demo to work on every XL/XE config, even the most developed, as well as on regular 800XL or 65XE (64Kb and one pokey).

Edited by yerzmyey

Yes, quite good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Like Metalguy said, it's amazing how people are able to push the limits of a thirty year old technology. :) The thing that really stood out to me was the fairly realistic SNARE drum. Wow! Quite impressive! :D

OK then.

This is "XL DIGITAL" demo in its proper form:

http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/xl_digital.zip

The archive contains:

- "hdd" catalogue - files ready to copy into Atari's HDD

- "ape" catalogue - one ATR file ready to load via SIO2PC and APE or SIO2SD

- "fdd" catalogue - two ATR file for converting them into real diskette (both sides).

• Like 4

OK then.

This is "XL DIGITAL" demo in its proper form:

http://yerzmyey.i-de.../xl_digital.zip

The archive contains:

- "hdd" catalogue - files ready to copy into Atari's HDD

- "ape" catalogue - one ATR file ready to load via SIO2PC and APE or SIO2SD

- "fdd" catalogue - two ATR file for converting them into real diskette (both sides).

XLent!

Hello guys

I've never been impressed by the sound coming from the 8 bit Atari, but now I am. Awesome!

sincerely

Mathy

???

Yerzmyey did some really nice job with the digital music. But we have already very good tunes just like Wodospadem Czasu ....

emkay:

>Yerzmyey did some really nice job with the digital music.

-------------

Thanks a lot Emkay, and thaks to all, guys.

>But we have already very good tunes just like Wodospadem Czasu ....

-----------

Yes, software synthesizers are my favourite too (not only on XL/XE). It would be really great to have a proper editor for the Softsynth engine or to have it implemented in a next version of RasterMusicTracker, for example.

Probably then we would try to make another demo. :)

Greetings!

How can I get these to output to the CoVox device? I believe mine is mapped at $D600.

EDIT

Nevermind - I just grabbed the original MODs and let NeoTracker 1.8 import them.

EDIT #2

Songs 2 and 5 crash NeoTracker on the import, and only songs 1 and 3 take note of the tempo setting, so on my NTSC machines the others play way too fast. I swear someday soon I will have a CoVox in a PAL machine!

How can I get these to output to the CoVox device? I believe mine is mapped at $D600.

EDIT

Nevermind - I just grabbed the original MODs and let NeoTracker 1.8 import them.

EDIT #2

Songs 2 and 5 crash NeoTracker on the import, and only songs 1 and 3 take note of the tempo setting, so on my NTSC machines the others play way too fast. I swear someday soon I will have a CoVox in a PAL machine!

Hello.

Importing MODs will not help, I put them on the Net only for Amiga/PC fans.

For Atarians there was the music-collection itself and it uses *.NEO files instead (music-sources of NeoTracker).

At the moment I have no knowledge about covox however I'll ask the coder what to do now. I thought he considered all possible standard configurations.

I will let You know about how to setup the demo for Your machine or I'll invite the coder (Mono) to this forum.

Best wishes,

Yerz

Edited by yerzmyey