IGNORED

MOD playing on 800XL / 65XE

yerzmyey

Hi!

How can I get these to output to the CoVox device? I believe mine is mapped at $D600.

You can switch between POKEY (DUAL or MONO) and COVOX (at address $D500, $D600, $D700, $D220, $D240, $D260, $D280) by TAB key pressing until requested audio configuration is reached.

You can't switch between POKEY MONO or DUAL, because it is recognized by software and state automatically due to current configuration. COVOX can't be recognized automatically so, you can choose COVOX addres manually.

Edit: You can change audio channel configuration too (from 12-34 to 14-32) by pressing SPACE key.

Edited by mono

Stephen:

>I was not aware that the .NEO files were available.

In the demo Mono changed them into some *.bin or something, but I will ask him and then send You *.NEO files. Of course You must have Atari 130XE at least.

(Actually it IS possible to make 4ch digital editor for 65XE/800XL but in my opinion it couldn't make real MODs but only some simplified 4ch digital format. In this case I thought: maybe it's better to make MODs on 130XE or Rambo [320Kb] or 1Mb but still being able to play real MODs on 65XE/800XL).

>That would solve the issue.

------------

But first try to use TAB key, like Mono wrote above:

"by TAB key pressing until requested audio configuration is reached". And let us know if it works. It _should_ also on NTSC. If I recall, Mono mentioned he considered it too.

> The tunes are great by the way!

------------

Thanx a lot man, it was really hard work to fit normal music (techno, spacesynth, electro) in 64Kb of RAM. :)

Actually I failed several times and Mono was forced to help me, using his coding skills. :) Finally we managed to get the demo done. ;)

Edited by yerzmyey

The music files in native *.NEO Atari form:

http://yerzmyey.republika.pl/xl_digital_neo.atr

if anybody's interested.

Can be loaded into NeoTracker, listenned, examined, whatevah. Pokey, 2 pokeys, covox...

Thanks - works great in Neo. Any idea why some songs seem to ignore the Tempo setting?

• 2 weeks later...

awesome stuff!

can i put any amiga .mod or similar file on an .atr disk and play it with a player? there are some amiga "chiptune" MODs with around 4kB only.. will that work? how?

thx for sharing, great!

You will need to use NeoTracker for this. There is an "input MOD" feature. Currently, the only released version requires a minimum of 128KB machine.

You will need to use NeoTracker for this. There is an "input MOD" feature. Currently, the only released version requires a minimum of 128KB machine.

ok thx

pity, only got a stock 800 XL, yet.

sry, a bit offtopic:

well, is there a possibility to play those SAP music files from http://asma.atari.org/ on the real machine??

that sapemu stuff on the site doesn't work here. needs expanded XL...

can i put any amiga .mod or similar file on an .atr disk and play it with a player? there are some amiga "chiptune" MODs with around 4kB only.. will that work? how?

MOD files are just what they are, MODule files (sampled/digitized sounds), which isn't even close to a thing like a chip tune (synthesized hardware). I can't imagine a 4KB MOD file. If it is, it has to be one with a real lousy sound quality. OTOH, I've seen (heard) stranger things so who knows :-)

In the early 90's "The GateKeeper" wrote a MOD file player for Atari 8 bit. iirc it plays MOD's at a sample rate of nearly 6KHz and chances are it'll run on 64KB XL/XE (not sure about that as I only use 128KB or up Atari's). It's a bit limited (especially the file selector) but does the job.

MOD files are just what they are, MODule files (sampled/digitized sounds), which isn't even close to a thing like a chip tune (synthesized hardware). I can't imagine a 4KB MOD file. If it is, it has to be one with a real lousy sound quality. OTOH, I've seen (heard) stranger things so who knows :-)

In the early 90's "The GateKeeper" wrote a MOD file player for Atari 8 bit. iirc it plays MOD's at a sample rate of nearly 6KHz and chances are it'll run on 64KB XL/XE (not sure about that as I only use 128KB or up Atari's). It's a bit limited (especially the file selector) but does the job.

Yep,

tested the Gatekeeper`s MODplayer and it runs on a 64k computer, thats why I named it MODPLXL (short for MOD player XL). It plays only in mono, but uses up to 48kbytes, so MOD`s could theoretically have a length of up to 96kbytes...

Attached some sample MOD`s with the MOD XL player (the MODplayer is named Autorun.SYS there)...

-Andreas Koch.

MODS_XL.zip

Fox-1 / mnx

>MOD files are just what they are, MODule files (sampled/digitized sounds), which isn't even close to a thing like a chip tune (synthesized hardware).

-------------

Still - the Amiga chiptunes exist. There is a certain mess in terminology and I don't have time to explain it but Amiga has regular chiptunes, however - like Fox-1 mentioned - based on samples.

>I can't imagine a 4KB MOD file. If it is, it has to be one with a real lousy sound quality. OTOH, I've seen (heard) stranger things so who knows :-)

--------------

Yes, there are thousands of 4Kb chiptunes for Amiga and their samples sound OK but the chiptunes themselves - not necessarily. :)

The idea of PAULA chip micromusic is not to make bad-quality samples but to make possibly the smallest/shortest samples.

Another thig is - like marquisor asked (thanks for Your kinds words, by the way) - if such a thing could work well on POKEY. I think it _could_ but the sound quality would be rather not too good. Unless You have Covox.

Still, Amiga chiptunes use a lot of commands (to keep the MOD itself small enough) so such a file could not work correctly on NeoTracker (not all MOD commands have been implemented). The Neo, as far as I know, was rather designed for playing normal MODs.

Another thing - 'slide' command (glissando) works differently on Amiga and Atari XL because it's based on different tables. Amiga chiptunes use slides a lot, so I don't think they would work properly on XL, without additional (and _manual_ corrections).

>In the early 90's "The GateKeeper" wrote a MOD file player for Atari 8 bit. iirc it plays MOD's at a sample rate of nearly 6KHz and chances are it'll run on 64KB XL/XE (not sure about that as I only use 128KB or up Atari's). It's a bit limited (especially the file selector) but does the job.

-----------------

I don't know details but I know the Neo's author - Epi - so I suspect the modern player is better, on several levels. Also the 15 years (or so) make a difference.

However at the moment only the player for 128Kb (and more) has been published for usage in own programs.

We have been given the 64Kb player for the demo, however not permitted to spread it yet.

marquisor:

>can i put any amiga .mod or similar file on an .atr disk and play it with a player? there are some amiga "chiptune" MODs >with around 4kB only.. will that work? how?

--------------

Generally - yes, but with all these statements above. You'd rather have to look for small normal MODs, not chiptune-style. Also, like I mentioned, Epi didn't agree at the moment, to spread the source of 64Kb MOD player because he said he has to improve it. I don't support this decision because I heard such sentences hundreds times and it always ment: "I will never release it" actually. However he is the author, so I cannot interfere.

Still, I will ask him about it again, in a month or so.

Edited by yerzmyey

• 9 years later...
On 8/12/2010 at 12:21 PM, yerzmyey said:

The music files in native *.NEO Atari form:

http://yerzmyey.republika.pl/xl_digital_neo.atr

if anybody's interested.

Can be loaded into NeoTracker, listenned, examined, whatevah. Pokey, 2 pokeys, covox...

10 years to late to this party :) would you or anything who downloaded these be so kind to upload them again , please ?

The link is (logically) no longer valid, thanks in advance.