IGNORED

Dragons Nights

abaudrand

I would like to introduce you to my first batari game: Dragons Nights.

It still a WIP but the current version is playable.

The plot: You are an archer who have to defend a castle from dragons.

You can download the latest version on this post (I will edit this entry as I update it).

There are a lot of ideas I want to add but as I'm a beginner, It takes me time to handle batari basics, so updating will be slow.

I wish to thanks already some members who have already help me from the starts: Random Terrain, Yuppicide & SpiceWare.

Next version will have missile from dragon.

Edited by abaudrand

Should attach the .bin here. :)

I like the new version a lot. I'm glad you made it so the enemy doesn't come right at you.

My thoughts:

- I'm sure you already have this one in mind - speed up enemy after so many points

- How about since you're only using one playfield color for the castle (white) you change background color.. this way you can have different shades of blue in the background

- Maybe learn how to flicker and do more than one enemy at a time - this is where you have one player sprite like you do now, but draw it twice.. so you draw/update one on one frame, the second one on another frame

- In combination of the last one, maybe have a second enemy that occasionally comes in from the left side, thus if he sneaks up on you or you're busy firing at someone up top, it forces you to move up top of the tower to escape him, then shoot him from up there

Should attach the .bin here. :)

I like the new version a lot. I'm glad you made it so the enemy doesn't come right at you.

My thoughts:

- I'm sure you already have this one in mind - speed up enemy after so many points

- How about since you're only using one playfield color for the castle (white) you change background color.. this way you can have different shades of blue in the background

- Maybe learn how to flicker and do more than one enemy at a time - this is where you have one player sprite like you do now, but draw it twice.. so you draw/update one on one frame, the second one on another frame

- In combination of the last one, maybe have a second enemy that occasionally comes in from the left side, thus if he sneaks up on you or you're busy firing at someone up top, it forces you to move up top of the tower to escape him, then shoot him from up there

Yes, my bro had the idea of changing background to tell you when the night is over.

His idea was you to kill a lot of dragons before the end of night so it will give you more time to kill the final boss. The score will be a kind moral status of the archer. When It reach zero, you loose in front of the big boss.

For making more ennemy, should I use the multisprite kernel? I don't know for the moment to handle the flickering and I didn't saw explanations about it. But yes, I agree, more ennemies will make it more fun.

I also wanted to add limited arrows and make you go left screen to reload all. Maybe I could use the ball to display it. but I'm starting to worry about the rom size limit.

For the titlescreen, I'm going to use player0 and player1 and make a vertical title. I've also read on the forum that it is possible to split the kernels as I wanted to have more pfres for it and a gradient background with no blanklines. I just let it as it is for the moment as I wait if there will be a titlescreen kernel soon.

The last idea I have but it will depend of the space left is a horse ride between different castles where u should shoot incoming dragons... this one is a bit tough and If I can make all the previous, I will be already happy...

Yes, my bro had the idea of changing background to tell you when the night is over.

Good idea.. maybe day colors and night colors. Maybe during the day you do something different. Dragons only come out at night.

For making more ennemy, should I use the multisprite kernel? I don't know for the moment to handle the flickering and I didn't saw explanations about it. But yes, I agree, more ennemies will make it more fun.

Don't think so. If you use that the playfield gets mirrored.. ie: it looks the same on both sides. I haven't done flickering yet, but basically it tricks your eye. There's a demo floating around here somewhere, probably a few. For example, let's say you have yourself as player0, and want two enemies as player1. On frame one you'd update one of your enemies with player1, and on frame2 you'd update the other enemy of player1. So, basically player1 is flickering back and fourth really fast to draw two different players. The catch to this is that they can't be too close to each other, and you can't do too many or the flicker will be able to be seen by the eye and looks worse.

I also wanted to add limited arrows and make you go left screen to reload all. Maybe I could use the ball to display it. but I'm starting to worry about the rom size limit.

This reminds me of Pooyan. It's a good idea. But instead maybe you can just have them on the current screen and randomly pop out every now and then.

For the titlescreen, I'm going to use player0 and player1 and make a vertical title. I've also read on the forum that it is possible to split the kernels as I wanted to have more pfres for it and

I did this myself.. I also included hidden hello to some people and thank you to some other people the same way. See mine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zDdSpoYdc

a gradient background with no blanklines. I just let it as it is for the moment as I wait if there will be a titlescreen kernel soon.

The last idea I have but it will depend of the space left is a horse ride between different castles where u should shoot incoming dragons... this one is a bit tough and If I can make all the previous, I will be already happy...

Sounds cool if it can be pulled off. Look at the game Dragonfire from Imagic. It's a castle you avoid fireballs on the first screen. I had ideas to make a Dragonfire II, which would contain more screens once you got inside the castle.

I had ideas to make a Dragonfire II, which would contain more screens once you got inside the castle.

Oooh. That would be awesome.

This Dragons Nights game looks cool. I'll probably wait until it is a little polished before I try though. The name sounds a little odd. Maybe drop one of the "s" at the end?

I like the way the castle looks; you did a great job on it! But you might want to change the score color so it stands out better against the background. If the background color changes, you can change the score color, too, so the score is always easily visible by being either much darker or much lighter than the background.

Michael

The title is temporary... It's difficult to find a title that could fit into 2 lines for being displayed as sprites. I guess it sounds strange as I forgot the possessive " ' ". Guess "Dragons' Nights" is nacceptable.

The Score need to be changed in a more attractive police. More medieval like. But I didn't have time to look for it at the moment... As I said, it's my first game and even adding something new take me much time...

This week, I just try to work on the routine for making the dragon fire at you...