IGNORED

5200 Tempest

Allan

I seriously used to dream about having Tempest on my new 5200 back when I was 13 or something. How odd that it might just happen when I'm about 43. :lol:

I completely hear you! Funny the things that are coming out NOW ;)

Well I'll be 43 in about 2 years, so I don't exactly know about "now". :lol: I was putting in what I thought was a realistic cushion :P

Does anyone know if Tempest will support the Trak Ball?

Either way, the native controllers seem like they would only enhance the gameplay

Yes, I wrote the trak-ball support for Tempest so it does support it.

Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere, but Is there a way to fashion a 360-degree rotary controller from a stock 5200 stick -- similar to the paddle conversion? I know the analog stick/trakball won't be bad, but a rotary controller would be pretty great too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say it's great that this is finally happening. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

I love the artwork on the new box. Is this Nathan's work?

I would love a poster of this.

Or maybe something like this Countermeasure display.

Allan

Has there been some announcement? Link?

http://www.atariage.com/features/shows/cge2010_preview/

Every one is excited about the 2600 Turbo release so 5200 Tempest is getting over looked.

Allan

Is that a port of Turbo for the Colecovision?

Just click the link and find out..

I'm just wondering if all the legal bases have been covered for this game. Remember, there is no such thing as abandonware. Whoever holds the rights can exercise them at any time and issue a C&D. Sega's name is being used on a project they have nothing to do with, and then there's the question of who owns the original, unfinished code. If a program is coded while in the employ of someone else, the law is clear that the employer owns the code, not the employee. There's also the issue of trade dress, using Coleco's box art and label style (Coleco may be gone, but Hasbro owns the assets and therefore may own the code and the box and label art style), and there's also the issue of whether a license was paid for use of the Turbo game itself. Since Coleco paid for the license originally, and Hasbro owns the assets of Coleco, then Hasbro may own the exclusive rights to release any game based on Turbo assuming the rights didn't have an expiration date specified in the contract, and if the original contract is for all intents and purposes, expired, then a new license would have to be obtained from Sega.

Edited by OldAtarian
  • Like 1

Just click the link and find out..

I'm just wondering if all the legal bases have been covered for this game. Remember, there is no such thing as abandonware. Whoever holds the rights can exercise them at any time and issue a C&D.

You're new around here huh? ;)

For the most part, these companies ignore stuff like this. On the occasion where a company was contacted about releasing a game, the requestor was ignored. In the rare case that the copyright holder asked for games not to be sold the request was honored.

In a nutshell, 99% of the time the person releasing said game has no rights to it, and the rights holder doesn't give a crap or ignores the release all together.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
That is what the photo in the first post is about ("counter measure").

The OP was only citing Countermeasure as an example of a poster or display that he wanted to see for 5200 Tempest:

Just wanted to say it's great that this is finally happening. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

I love the artwork on the new box. Is this Nathan's work?

I would love a poster of this.

Or maybe something like this Countermeasure display

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...