IGNORED

Of your 2600 collection, how many are Homebrews & Repros?

save2600

After overcoming my obsessive collecting "addiction" in the late 90's, I seriously trimmed my 2600 library down to only the games I really still wanted to play or had some kind of emotional attachment to growing up in the 70's/80's. About 300 carts were axed and I was left with 200 of the blasted things. Today I count 231.

While I have bought, sold and traded a small handful of homebrews and repros throughout the years, I consider at least 31 of these newcomers games I wouldn't want to part with. They're that good!

What I am kind of getting at is a ratio of sorts. Anyone want to share their original or current cart collection to what they've collected in homebrews? Not really interested in titles (we're all familiar enough with what's available and what's REALLY good), just numbers.

Edited by save2600

I have about 40 old-time carts, and about 10-12 new carts. I don't really feel any need to collect older stuff, as I have a Harmony cart, but I do like to buy the new carts to offer support to the homebrew developers - even when the ROM has been released.

I just recently bought Donkey Kong Escapes (released) and Chunkout 2600 (unreleased). I can play DKE on my Harmony without an issue, but I really dig the authentic looking label and manual!

• Like 1

The whole concept of homebrew and repos is so new to the general gaming community I think you won't find many aware of its goodness.

Hey Loon, this is a 2600 forum, for 2600 responses :)

And 2600 homebrews and repros of released/un-released games have been around since the mid 90's FYI. Dark Mage, Oystron, Edtris, Polo and a few from Piero I can't remember the names of off the bat. Crazy Pong or something like that. LOT's of 2600 hombrew activity since then, but especially in the mid 2000's on.

Mine is probably close to 20%, and I have over 500 carts. I always have been jealous of people who have so many homebrews, but I've recently realized I have a ton myself. I'm in the midst of (re)organizing my carts, I stopped keeping track with Cart Commander about a year and a half ago, and just started buying games I knew I didn't have, which is pretty much down to just homebrews, and R8's and 9's.

Less than a month ago, I spent good money (well, good to me that is) on a cart I already have and decided it was time to catalog everything so as to not get stuck with any (more) dupes.

I was surprised at just now many homebrews I have. Which is cool, those are by far the games that are worthwhile playing the most.

• Like 2

I have more homebrew games than originals. When I left for college I gave a lot of my games to one of my cousins and only kept the ones I really, really liked. Even though I can play many games with Harmony (which is what I do with many of the older games), I do prefer to buy the homebrew carts to support the people who make them.

• Like 3

Out of oh, 75 or so carts that I own, zero are homebrew or reproductions. I just can't find them used or cheap anywhere, and simply can't justify spending $30 on a single atari cart. There are several I'd love to have, but it just hasn't worked out that way.

• Like 2

288 carts

47 homebrews

41 repros (including repros of prototype/unreleased games)

Wow! All 2600 titles huh? You 'da homebrew/repro man! I thought I had a pretty high ratio going, but I've since gotten rid of stuff like Xevious, Dukes of Hazard, Wizard, Cabbage Patch Kids, Looping and Yahtzee to name a few :)

Edited by save2600

Out of oh, 75 or so carts that I own, zero are homebrew or reproductions. I just can't find them used or cheap anywhere, and simply can't justify spending $30 on a single atari cart. There are several I'd love to have, but it just hasn't worked out that way.

Agreed. Collecting for the 2600 has become less important for me in recent years as I have moved on to newer systems. I still have a modest collection (~150 games) and I definitely pick-up any and all homebrew and repro cartridges that I find "in the wild". ;)

• Like 1

Believe it or not, most of them are worth it. I buy whenever I've bought a lot from the aa store over the years, often when I thought the price was a little high. I can honestly say not a one has disappointed me. Some are actually f***ing surprisingly good.

Plus too, if you keep your eyes open in the marketplace, you'll hit some really good deals. When I come to the forums, first place I look is there, then the "my posts", then "new content" last. I just bought a lot of games from someone, one of them was a game called Omicron. On the surface it looked not only lame, but the blockiest game ever. You're basically a little triangle "ship" that shoots at random blocks that appear onscreen. It's frigging awesome addictive! I think I wound up paying $15 for it, but it'd been worth it at twice that (hopefully the member that sold it to me doesn't read that! :P )

• Like 1

Believe it or not, most of them are worth it.

Agreed. For example, Ladybug 2600 would be a good game on any system!

Ladybug is for sure one of those :o :o :o accomplishments. I'd easily put that towards the top of the list of spot on coin-op conversions. Truth be known I never was a big Ladybug fan, but it's just so good! That one was definitely worth the $$.

• Like 1

I'm a relative newbie... But have amassed over two-hundred unique 2600 carts after starting down the road of 7800. I see all kinds of re-pros and prototypes in the marketplace and get SO envious that I missed out on them due to my recent arrival on the scene.

7800 - Pac-Man Collection, BNQ, Beef Drop (all HUGE winners)

2600 - Space Invaders Vector (may have been my first), Venture II, Lady Bug, Toyshop Trouble, Medieval Mayhem, Donkey Kong Escapes.

Lady Bug, Toyshop Trouble, and Medieval are BETTER than advertised! Donkey Kong Escapes keeps me challenged and even motivated me to obtain a Frankenstein's Monster game. I still can't believe Data Age put something out that was half way decent.

• Like 1

About 75 total 2600 carts and only 1 homebrew, Chunkout which is pretty damn fun. I have played a number of available homebrew roms and most have been better games than the bulk of the 2600 library. I am just wayyyy too cheap to spend $25-35 for a game and shipping on a regular basis. Morgan

• Like 1

Hacks:

Asteroids DC+, Asteroids Deluxe (7800), Berzerk Voice Enhanced, Combat Redoux, Defender Arcade, Galaxian Arcade, Indy 500 XE, Miniature Gold HD, Miniature Golf +, Pac Man Arcade, Space Duel (7800), Space Invaders Arcade

Homebrew:

Beef Drop VE (7800), Chunkout 2600, Climber 5, Colony 7, Conquest of Mars, Edtris 2600, Fall Down, Go Fish!, Gunfight, Hunchy 2, Jr. Pac-Man (7800), Ladybug, Pac-Man Collection (7800), Qb, Seawolf, Space Invaders (7800), Stacker, Starfire, Stella's Stocking (Atari Age 2007 Holiday Cart), Super Pac-Man (7800), Thrust+, Toyshop Trouble, Warring Worms, Wasp!, Wolfenstein VCS, Worm (7800)

Repros:

An Ewok Adventure, Cabbage Patch Kids, Color Bar Generator, Diagnostic Cart 1.0 (7800), Halloween, Holey Moley, Ixion, Kabobber, Klax, Looping, My Golf, Polo, Targ, Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I will continue to support the homebrew community once I find a job. Being unemployed sucks!

I want to get Juno First and K.O. Cruiser really bad! icon_smile.gif

• Like 2