IGNORED

Which titles seem rarer than they're supposed to be?

cmart604

A comment goldenband made about River Raid in the Super Cobra manual thread reminded me I wanted to create this thread.

What I'm wondering is do you find some games are a lot harder to find than they are supposed to be and that some games that are supposed to be hard to find aren't that hard to find at all. (Based on rarity levels they've been assigned.)

I realize it depends on which resource you choose to consult as to rarity but I think there is pretty much a consensus on most games.

I've been reliving my youth collecting INTV since 1999 and I've found that while Fathom is generally considered to be one of the rarest games on the INTV and Thin Ice is thought to be somewhere in the middle rarity-wise, I find it easier to get my hands on Fathom than Thin Ice. ( I have 5 Fathoms, 3 Thin Ice...)

Congo Bongo is another one I think isn't too hard to find ( I didn't say it was cheap. icon_mrgreen.gif) while Defender and Pac Man don't show up as often as I'd think they would.

Spiker on the other hand absolutely lives up to its billing...icon_frown.gif as does Astrosmash ( I think I have 15)

Your 2 cents?

I know what you mean, but i've very frequently the Atari titles for Intellivision and they sell not so expensive, but not cheap either. but at least show up. You do a search for several Intv titles and you get nothing on Ebay (even completed listings). I´m kind of a new collector, so i don´t have monitored Ebay for long. You have more experince..

Haven´t you thinking in giving some carts in adoption to a good collector that will love and will play with them constantly? ;)

I'm a charitable soul that is willing to take the burden! |:)

Super pro football seems like it should be rare, but there is plenty of them around.

Popeye seems like it should be more common, but it seems to go for around 40 bucks CIB.

Don't get me started on Sears Checkers..........:roll:

Cmart, you have been collecting since 1999, and you don't have Turbo boxed?

Ive only been collecting INTV for 3 to 4 years. Am i a speed collector? icon_shades.gif

Yah, kinda weird about Turbo, I have two copies loose but just haven't had any luck with the CIB. Maybe there is a trade out there involving one of my Fathoms and a CIB Turbo. icon_ponder.gif

As for you, not sure about speed collector, but lets just call you efficient. icon_mrgreen.gif

Cmart, you have been collecting since 1999, and you don't have Turbo boxed?

Ive only been collecting INTV for 3 to 4 years. Am i a speed collector? icon_shades.gif

Yah, kinda weird about Turbo, I have two copies loose but just haven't had any luck with the CIB. Maybe there is a trade out there involving one of my Fathoms and a CIB Turbo. icon_ponder.gif

As for you, not sure about speed collector, but lets just call you efficient. icon_mrgreen.gif

Well, I need fathom, but I don´t have it even loose. I still have the New in Box Systhetizer, and some guy promess me New Intv controllers, For Sure it's for Intv II.

I keep my non-working console and a few games since the 80´s (the most rarer games i have for the time is Diner and Dig Dug) But I really star collecting seriously 8 months a go with only 2 purchases on ebay, and I have 96 of the 125 games. But need a lot CIB..

Super pro football seems like it should be rare, but there is plenty of them around.

Popeye seems like it should be more common, but it seems to go for around 40 bucks CIB.

Don't get me started on Sears Checkers..........icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with Rev on Super Pro Football whereas Slap Shot Hockey I find is much harder to come by.

Another one that occurred to me is DK Jr. I've found this one to be a tough find as well, especially boxed.

Tron Maze-a Tron and Beauty and the Beast were murder to find, but I finally got them CIB a couple weeks ago.

I think tz101 has illustrated my point. These two games have been really easy for me to find but obviously not for him.

I wonder if there are some games that are easier or harder to find by region. icon_ponder.gif

I suppose the most obvious examples would be Tut and Super Cobra being easier to find in Europe and Canada vs the US due to not being released in the States to the best of my knowledge.

Tron Maze-a Tron and Beauty and the Beast were murder to find, but I finally got them CIB a couple weeks ago.

I don't get it:

Beauty and the Beast: new/sealed for $8.95 from Atari2600.com

Tron Maze-A-Tron: new/sealed for $10.95 from Atari2600.com

That only took me about five minutes.

As for the games that are really difficult to find ... it took me the longest time to get a copy of Melody Blaster at a decent price, until rgw825 helpfully pointed me to a reasonably-priced loose copy. Most of the people who responded in that thread seemed to think that Melody Blaster isn't all that difficult to find, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

I don't get it:

As for the games that are really difficult to find ... it took me the longest time to get a copy of Melody Blaster at a decent price, until rgw825 helpfully pointed me to a reasonably-priced loose copy. Most of the people who responded in that thread seemed to think that Melody Blaster isn't all that difficult to find, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

I agree jaybird, Melody Blaster might be harder to find than World Series and certainly harder than the rest of the ECS titles (but Super Series is still the toughest find for the ECS).

Don't get me started on Sears Checkers..........icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with Rev on Super Pro Football whereas Slap Shot Hockey I find is much harder to come by.

Another one that occurred to me is DK Jr. I've found this one to be a tough find as well, especially boxed.

I made a trade (with an ebay seller) with my new items with others new Intv titles, and I will recieve 4 Donkey Kong Junior. for the seller that was a cheap title, in the category of Tennis and Snafu (the only ones i'll get duplicates). I guess he's got a lot of those titles.

In Venezuela there's was a supply of Tron Maze a Tron new, but for the moment is depleted, or that's what they say when i ask for it.

And I agree with Cmart, In my region there are titles very hard to find, others are common. I Have the Synthetyzer and no melody blaster, you would think that the people distributing Intv should sell both.

I don't get it:

I try to buy most of my stuff locally if possible. Thrifts, yard sales, and used game shops are my main sources. Shopping online usually costs more because I bought both Maze-A-Tron and B&B for only $2 a piece plus I didn't have to pay shipping. Yes, if money is no issue then I could basically fill out my entire collection from eBay. I don't want to go that route because a lot of it is overpriced.

I try to buy most of my stuff locally if possible. Thrifts, yard sales, and used game shops are my main sources. Shopping online usually costs more because I bought both Maze-A-Tron and B&B for only $2 a piece plus I didn't have to pay shipping. Yes, if money is no issue then I could basically fill out my entire collection from eBay. I don't want to go that route because a lot of it is overpriced.

Ah, understood. If you're relying on local sources, I can see why it would take a lot longer. That's especially true of 2600 and Intellivision product, in my experience: this stuff is going on thirty-something years old now, and it doesn't turn up in yard sales and thrift stores as much as it used to (at least in my area).

I don't get it:

And keep in mind that the mayority of Ebay sellers are also looking in the same yard sales, so if you are not first... It needs a lot of patience collecting that way. I only had made 2 purchases on ebay, both sellers send me the games in bubblelopes and the boxes where crushed, So i resign on ebay for now, Triying to makes trades, You can find hardly any vintage games in garage sales in my country...

Maybe doesn´t belong here, but have you seen this auction?:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904573739431?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290457373943&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

There's a cool lock and chase Dr. pepper competition pin or badge, I can´t tell, I guess cmart is already bidding, aren´t you?

The Dr Pepper thing is cool, but the rest of the auction doesn't excite me, I won't be bidding.

And talking about hardware, this is the first time i saw a Tandyvision on ebay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506718508881?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250671850888&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Is rare or not?

Rarish, but that one doesn't look to be in too good shape. I'd pass, although the Tandy is my favourite INTV model. In fact, of the 15 or so INTV's I have, that's the one I'm currently playing on.

The Sylvania/GTE one is rarer and I finally got one last week although I didn't get it cheap.icon_lust.gif

Now to find the Bandai version to complete my hardware collection. It's been a few years since I last saw one of these. icon_frown.gif

And talking about hardware, this is the first time i saw a Tandyvision on ebay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506718508881?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250671850888&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Is rare or not?

Rarish, but that one doesn't look to be in too good shape. I'd pass, although the Tandy is my favourite INTV model. In fact, of the 15 or so INTV's I have, that's the one I'm currently playing on.

The Sylvania/GTE one is rarer and I finally got one last week although I didn't get it cheap.icon_lust.gif

Now to find the Bandai version to complete my hardware collection. It's been a few years since I last saw one of these. icon_frown.gif

If the Electronics inside are the same, what differences do you see?

I have the oportunity to buy a Sylvania a couple of months ago, but was very expensive, so I pass. Also the seller is keeping it.

I never see a Bandai version, even in picture.