IGNORED

800Xl or 130XE?

jc78_2005

which to get if you can only get 1? and why? just wanting some opinions.thinking of getting back into the 8-bit. will mainly be used for carts.. for now anyway haha.

Cart slot location is better on the 800 XL then the 130 XE. Video quality is better on the 130 XE.

Edited by kheffington

which to get if you can only get 1? and why? just wanting some opinions.thinking of getting back into the 8-bit. will mainly be used for carts.. for now anyway haha.

Cart slot location is better on the 800 XL then the 130 XE. Video quality is better on the 130 XE.

Note taken.. thanks for your input!

Cart port position: 800XL

Design: 800XL and 130XE are both beautiful and original, it's a matter of taste.

Keyboard: it's a matter of taste but you must consider that 5 kind of keyboards exists for 800XL (in only three years lifespan!) and, if I am not wrong, at least 2 kinds for 130XE.

Memory: 130XE has 128KB instead of 64KB, usuful for few games (but now AA user ctirad sells an external 320KB memory expansion for 800XL)

Video ouput: 130XE has also s-video (but with a simple jumper 800XL can have s-video too)

EDIT:

Quality: Ken's post remembers me that 800XL has a better quality. Moreover, some XL's have all IC socketed, so they are easier to repair and upgrade.

EDIT2:

Basic: 130XE has bug free Basic rev. C (but you can replace 800XL Basic rev. B IC - anyway, if you like Basic programming, nowadays everyone uses the fast, compatible and compilable Turbo-Basic XL).

Edited by Philsan

Between 130Xe and 800Xl , i would get a Commodore 64 ! :D

Just Kidding. ;)

Personnaly i own both , but i have a preference for the 800XL , the 130XE case seems less robust and it is too similar to the ST.

as i look at the SX-64 UNDER my desk, and the 130XE ON my desk... the SX-64 i got for free, the 130XE i paid $$$ for... 'nuff said ;'P

(and please ignore the Plus/4 ON my desk... ;'D )

OP:

if i could only have and own one A8 machine i would definitely get a 1200XL, but given the choice between an 800XL and 130XE, especially

to be primarily used for games, i would go with the 800XL, preferably one with a 192k/256k upgrade already in it...

With the advent of "modern" memory expansions, the 800XL is superior in just about every way. By "modern" ram expansions, I mean those that are capable of switching "modes" to support all common PORTB bit extended RAM banking schemes.

For instance, the SRAM based upgrades made by Wolfram (megahz) and the single-GAL based upgrades made by Hias both have switchable support modes so that you can make your machine "look like" a RAMBO/PETERSEN, COMPYSHOP, or even Stock 130XE (with separate ANTIC/CPU access).. These upgrades, along with 512k of SRAM installed pretty much "cover all bases" as far as demos/games/apps you would want to run on the ATARI.. Exceptions would include the very few programs that are written for 1024k of extended RAM. The way that these "modern" extended RAM upgrades are installed, it does not matter what model of XL/XE you are installing them in. The end result is the same. So the 130XE has absoultely no advantage over the 800XL.

The 800XL keyboard and case are way the hell better than the 130XE. The 130XEs (particularly the earlier NTSC ones) have been plagued with bad RAM, poor PCB assembly, and general falkiness issues.. 800XLs are genrally pretty stable, unless you install a bunch of poorly executed hacks..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I have 3 800XL's and 1 130XE. Two of the 800XL's work perfectly, one doesn't work. My single 130XE has been flaky since day one (bought it used about 14 years ago.) It seems to work, but then crashes randomly, so I suspect some of the RAM may be faulty. I hear this is not uncommon.

Aesthetically I really like both systems. Different flavors I would say. I have no complaints about the 130XE keyboard, it's just a bit of a different feel to it. The cart port position of 130XE is annoying, but not really a huge deal.

Very few games were designed specifically for 130XE, in other words, almost everything runs on both. If you're using it for gaming, definitely get the 800XL. However, if you want to develop stuff that really maxes out RAM, AND you are unwilling to install a memory upgrade, then you may consider the 130XE. Or get both, since having just one of these old systems can be pretty sad in the inevitable event of its breakdown.

And one last thing -- I read that the 320K memory upgrade is most easily installed on the 600XL. If you are set on doing that, it might be the system for you.

Edited by Particle Man

And one last thing -- I read that the 320K memory upgrade is most easily installed on the 600XL. If you are set on doing that, it might be the system for you.

Sadly, the US 600XLs lack the monitor jack, so getting an s-video or even composite signal from them will be a PITA, while even the former one only requires some internal soldering on an 800XL.

If your TV set is PAL or SECAM capable, a PAL or SECAM 800XL should also be considered, since many games and demos written in Europe have been programmed with 50 Hz screen refresh rate in mind and will not run (properly) at the 60 Hz screen refresh rate of NTSC machines. These are regularly available on eBay (UK, DE and FR mostly - just tell the sellers they can keep the PSU, as it only adds to the weight and is a regular stabilized 5V DC PSU (1A min., I currently use a 2A one) with a 7-pin DIN plug, both of which are easily available in the US) and even can be purchased as NOS from myatari.com (with a 110V PSU).

Thorsten

Go for the Atari 800; it has a built-in speaker. The experience is not the same with Tales of beta Lyrae on Atari 800 as with other Atari models which don't have built-in speaker. It sounds like it's in stereo on Atari 800. But then again, you may never play that game so go for the 800XL. For Crownland, go for the Atari 130XE (PAL), but then again the author may just fix that game and make it work with other models. Of course, it will never work on Commodore 64.

You can't go wrong either way.

If you're absolutely hellbent against soldering or paying for mods, maybe the 130XE. The video (particularly S-video) is strikingly beautiful and the best of the entire series of Atari8. If using DOS 2.5 with the RAMDISK it is very handy to have the extra memory. Cart port kinda sucks (location) but still works well functionally. Keyboard not the best, but who types on 8-bit computers that much? BASIC REV C makes a nice plus.

You can't go wrong either way.

If you're absolutely hellbent against soldering or paying for mods, maybe the 130XE. The video (particularly S-video) is strikingly beautiful and the best of the entire series of Atari8. If using DOS 2.5 with the RAMDISK it is very handy to have the extra memory. Cart port kinda sucks (location) but still works well functionally. Keyboard not the best, but who types on 8-bit computers that much? BASIC REV C makes a nice plus.

I dont mind to solder at all! I have done A/v mods on various console's,Colecovision's, 2600's, etc.. soo that is no worry.i owned an xegs at one point,and i liked it pretty well. i wasnt a super fan of the pastel buttons. but it was still cool. the one i get will be for Gaming period, as someone mentioned,maybe one just isnt enough lol.I had thought of the 600xl also, as i think it is a sleak looking little console.

Bottom line.. With a modern (really cheap) ram expansion, the 800XL beats the 130xe in 9/10 areas... Yeah the S-VIDEO is cleaner on the 130xe.. But the composite is blurry crap on most of them.. And the 800XL's video output can be "tuned up" fairly easily just like any other atari model..

I had thought of the 600xl also, as i think it is a sleak looking little console.

The 600XL isn't all that great for gaming, particularly if you want to play disk-based games on it. You can easily expand the RAM in it to 64K, though, but you'll also need to mod it for S-video or composite, as the 600XL only has an RF output.

Anyway, I would prefer the 800XL mainly due to its convenience, superior build quality, and the fact that it's easy to mod, but I wouldn't count out the 130XE either. Sure, the build quality isn't as good as the 800XL and the cart slot placement is terrible, but it's got 128K built-in and it's actually quite small. I've been using a 130XE as my main A8 mainly due the size, since space isn't too abundant in my setup.

Bottom line.. With a modern (really cheap) ram expansion, the 800XL beats the 130xe in 9/10 areas... Yeah the S-VIDEO is cleaner on the 130xe.. But the composite is blurry crap on most of them.. And the 800XL's video output can be "tuned up" fairly easily just like any other atari model..

Composite is perfectly clear unless you are running some 80-column emulation software. And even the RF is pretty clear if you get those Pico/Blonder Tongue demodulators that have all those filters and enhancements built into them.

Atari 400/800 have built-in speakers but they also seem to have better audio circuitry as the sounds come out better with or without using the built-in speakers. Atari 800 video is also better than 800XL. Atari 800XL is better for programmers as you get that extra memory behind ROM and you can write a software accelerator that saves you some cycles every frame by writing directly to the NMI vectors rather than going through the OS: BIT 54287, BPL skipDLI, JMP [512].

I agree that 800XL would be a better pick over 130XE as it's easy to modify. If you are just playing cartridge games, you can get away with even Atari 400; perhaps add a memory upgrade that doesn't require soldering like this one:

post-12094-128034548262_thumb.jpg

Composite is perfectly clear unless you are running some 80-column emulation software. And even the RF is pretty clear if you get those Pico/Blonder Tongue demodulators that have all those filters and enhancements built into them.

Atari 400/800 have built-in speakers but they also seem to have better audio circuitry as the sounds come out better with or without using the built-in speakers. Atari 800 video is also better than 800XL. Atari 800XL is better for programmers as you get that extra memory behind ROM and you can write a software accelerator that saves you some cycles every frame by writing directly to the NMI vectors rather than going through the OS: BIT 54287, BPL skipDLI, JMP [512].

I agree that 800XL would be a better pick over 130XE as it's easy to modify. If you are just playing cartridge games, you can get away with even Atari 400; perhaps add a memory upgrade that doesn't require soldering like this one:

well, looks like the first one i will be getting is the xegs, the deal was too good to pass up. console,lightgun,keyboard, for 10.00 bucks on ebay!no ac adaptor though, but great deal in my book. are the power supplies , pretty standard on these? plug wise? i cant recall .

well, looks like the first one i will be getting is the xegs, the deal was too good to pass up. console,lightgun,keyboard, for 10.00 bucks on ebay!no ac adaptor though, but great deal in my book. are the power supplies , pretty standard on these? plug wise? i cant recall .

never mind with the power supply question..

I think they are 5V DC with 5pin DIN connector -- same as monitor connection on XL/XE so that you can fry your machine easily. I guess XEGS doesn't have the 5-pin DIN connector for monitor, so you're good to go.

I think they are 5V DC with 5pin DIN connector -- same as monitor connection on XL/XE so that you can fry your machine easily. I guess XEGS doesn't have the 5-pin DIN connector for monitor, so you're good to go.

The XL/XE computers have a 7-pin connector for power, so there's no way you can plug it into the monitor port unless you forced it in or broke off the two upper pins. And while the XEGS lacks the monitor port that most A8s have, it does have RCA jacks for composite and audio so you can use standard cables with it.

Edited by ApolloBoy

I'm "asking" myself these kind of questions some times too. It is only in theory, because I have zillions of 130XE's and 800Xl computers.

When I really had to chose between a stock 800XL and a stock 130XE... and I was not allowed to upgrade anything... I would go for the 130XE.

Programming assembler and debugging is really a pain-in-the-ass without the extra RAM.

But it is all theory.

I have an atari 800xl with 576KB ram (512 KB Static Ram), upgraded with 4 OS-es, in a brandnew 800XL case and a really fine keyboard.

It is (for me) the best you can get.

Greetz

M.