IGNORED

Legendary consoles you never liked

4Ks

Since there's a "anybody not a fan of Atari" thread, I figured it would be nice to have a more open-ended thread. This thread is for classic consoles everybody raves about, but you never really liked.

Now, for me, I would say it has to be SNES. I've tried twice to get into it, and both times I've ended up being really unimpressed with it. Every single game that's any good has been done better on other systems (Genesis, GBA, etc.), leaving nothing but the never-was dregs of the gaming world. Classic my arse. :lol:

I never got the Saturn or the Dreamcast. Both systems were rushed out into the market, had better ports of games found on other systems, and the best stuff never got released here in the States.

Not a big fan of the Neo Geo also.

Also I don't much care for the Genesis -- there, I said it. :D

Atari 2600 comes to mind. Lots of people like it, and I've spent time playing it, but for the most part I just can't get into the system. I always pick an A8 when I need my early 80's goodness. I don't think I've played any of my 2600's in a decade.

Never really got into master system either. I have a powerbase converter, but only have 3 games for it, and I gave them probably a minute each.

I've never so much as turned my O2, 5200, or XEGS on, but those systems aren't so legendary. Played my intellivision exactly once.

Edited by Reaperman

Since there's a "anybody not a fan of Atari" thread, I figured it would be nice to have a more open-ended thread. This thread is for classic consoles everybody raves about, but you never really liked.

Now, for me, I would say it has to be SNES. I've tried twice to get into it, and both times I've ended up being really unimpressed with it. Every single game that's any good has been done better on other systems (Genesis, GBA, etc.), leaving nothing but the never-was dregs of the gaming world. Classic my arse. :lol:

SNES for me, too. I guess if you're really into Japanese button-mashing RPG games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger (which everyone always says are among the best games on the system), you'll like the SNES. I could never get into those games, and the SNES platformers weren't enough of an improvement over the ones on the NES, so the SNES just doesn't have anything to offer me.

As a runner-up, I'd choose the ColecoVision. Its original library relied very heavily on arcade ports, but in today's world of emulation, you can just as easily play the originals on whatever platform you want. The ColecoVision is made even less appealing when you consider the very problematic hardware: I don't think I've owned one ColecoVision that worked consistently, so I eventually decided that it wasn't a system worth keeping.

• Like 2

I never got the Saturn or the Dreamcast. Both systems were rushed out into the market, had better ports of games found on other systems, and the best stuff never got released here in the States.

Not a big fan of the Neo Geo also.

Also I don't much care for the Genesis -- there, I said it. :D

*HUGE DRAMATIC GASP*

Genesis owned the 16-bit era! How dare you say such sickening things! *becomes violently ill*

Kidding. ;) I can see why some people might not really fall for it.

Hmmm. Strange topic because my answers would include consoles I currently own - Sega master and the Intellivision and to a small extent my SNES and Dreamcast. I have them because I got them very cheap (or in some cases, free) but none are consoles that I play very often even though I still pick up cheap games for them if I come across them.

I would also add colecovision (which I don't have) and its a system I have a love/hate relationship with. I love it because its a great system with great games but I hate because I can never find one with stable enough hardware to keep me from chucking it out the window.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Hi guys,

Tiger.com. I always said I was going to get that system and play the Duke Nukem game and internet access. But sadly it never got around it to acquire one unfortunately.

Anthony....

Consider yourself lucky. ;)

I haven't played my Odyssey 2 in over a year, haven't played my Coleco or Intellivision II in that time as well.....

I wanted the Coleco so bad when I was a kid, but it's really a way to make sure you get arthritis now....

I probably should sell them all and maybe have enough money out of them for a PS3.....

I hate the genesis I had, but not sonic 2... I don't know, but every time I turned it on, I wanted to chuck it in the closet never to be found again... so I sold it.

Also, i dislike the PS1. I found the graphics below the N64's. also i hated the long load times, and the controller without the anolog sticks, it looks ugly.

I have every system up to the current gen and love them all. I have never gotten the whole fan boy thing because each one has its positives and negatives.

Exactly, I love all the systems i have. If there's a thing i don't like that much it has to be on the game side. But almost every console has a wide variety of games, so there will be a game i like on every console.

While I didn't really hate any system I've tried. I just never saw the magic in a few.

O2: I just found it completely uninspiring

Colecovision: reliability problems, noisy controllers, unoriginal library

NES: Not much I wanted to play on it that I couldn't find on something else, also didn't like the D-pads.

7800: never felt a need for this one, but I loved the controllers.

SNES: seemed stale next to Genesis

PSX: Didn't like the name, also seemed inferior when comparing the same games on another system(Saturn, 3DO)

Jaguar: Bought it only because they were really cheap and gave it away when it started breaking a month later. Couldn't find any good games back then.

I'm in the "I like 'em all" camp. If there's a system out there I can't get excited about it's probably because I haven't had a chance to play around with it.

I give every system that comes to me a long hard look and I get as many games as I can before I pass judgment on it. I don't dismiss anything until I've played it thoroughly. Perhaps my answers should change from "consoles you never liked" to "consoles that I'm on the fence about" because I don't really dislike them totally. Every system has some good games and good aspects about it but the positives have to outweigh the negatives - ie Colecovision and 5200 - great games, but too many hardware hiccups to make it worthwhile.

I find the majority of programmers who worked on Super Nintendo to be stupid and unimaginative. I even find SNES platformers to be a step down from NES. Whenever a type of gameplay element required some sort of special sprite or background usage, the NES programmers JUST DID IT, without worrying about cpu power. On the SNES, they tried to avoid those kinds of gameplay elements because they were afraid they will cause slowdown, without even trying in the first place, regardless that the Snes had more cpu power and faster cpu > ppu updating than the NES. Sometimes I wonder if those guys even knew what a DMA was, since they never even used it.